Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Ok, not entirely, but I really couldn't wait any longer to replace my awesome, yet getting slowly long-in-the-tooth Mid 2011 mini. While I would have pulled the trigger first on a new top-of-the-line mini, it just never materialized. :(

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
2.5 i4 with the stock 500GB HD and I upgraded to 8 GB of RAM; AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB.

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I have the same system (except it's an i7), and it's definitely not slow feeling at all. I also know if I wanted to really speed it up, I could just throw in a solid state drive. All fixed.

Buying a $2K laptop isn't going to make everything better (unless you need it). ;)

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
I have the same system (except it's an i7), and it's definitely not slow feeling at all. I also know if I wanted to really speed it up, I could just throw in a solid state drive. All fixed.

Buying a $2K laptop isn't going to make everything better (unless you need it). ;)

Agree.
SSD changed my life.

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
I'm rocking at 2010 C2D with a Samsung 830 250GB SSD. The only thing it sucks at is photo editing. Sliders don't change the photo in real-time, the effects jump as you slide so you have to kind of guess where to move them. Told my wife I'll be upgrading when the new OS either doesn't support or ruins the mini. Hoping for this summer... Have fun with that rMBP!

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
2.5 i4 with the stock 500GB HD and I upgraded to 8 GB of RAM; AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB.

The HDD was really your only problem there. Swapping it out for a solid state would have worth a shot before deciding to buy the Pro.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
The HDD was really your only problem there. Swapping it out for a solid state would have worth a shot before deciding to buy the Pro.

Utter nonsense. The processor / GPU in the new retina can handle my work needs far better than the mini and with portability.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Utter nonsense. The processor / GPU in the new retina can handle my work needs far better than the mini and with portability.
Ungracious responce to a sensible suggestion from someone trying to be helpful. A few of us asked why you felt the Mini "didn't cut it" and you didn't respond so we have very little information to go on. I'd be surprised if a new rMBP proved overall to be a signifanctly better machine than the Mini with the RAM you have and a new SSD.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Ouch... :eek:

Ungracious responce to a sensible suggestion from someone trying to be helpful. A few of us asked why you felt the Mini "didn't cut it" and you didn't respond so we have very little information to go on. I'd be surprised if a new rMBP proved overall to be a signifanctly better machine than the Mini with the RAM you have and a new SSD.

I wonder if he's just embarrassed on realisation of a mistake. ;)

raniel

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Ph

What kind of work do you do? Control NASA space station? Your mini is a powerful machine just need to upgrade it to SSD.

mjlee

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
You know that an SSD isn't a panacea, right?

Hi all, long time lurker here and waiting for a new Mac Mini too.

I think you're all being a little hard on the guy, for all we know he does need the extra CPU and GPU power. In fact this is the reason that I did not go for the current Mini as I would need the top spec and even then I'm not sure how future-proof that would be for me.

image, if you would like to explain the benefits you see with the MBP then maybe everyone else will understand?
Personally I am a regular user of MATLAB (number crunching), so I need a good CPU and also Creo (3D CAD) so I want some graphics power. I play the odd game too but not as regularly.

An SSD I'm sure is brilliant and after using other PCs with one, I wouldn't buy a new computer without. But upgrading a current Mini to SSD is not always the answer!

Anyway, I'll jump in here for some advice having been waiting for months now. I currently have a Late 2009 White MacBook and am waiting for a new Mac Mini for the reasons above.
I have looked at the MBP but not sure it's worth paying for the screen when my current MacBook normally sits under a 24" ACD since early last year.
So if image, or anyone else, can give an opinion on a new Mini vs. a MBP then that would be great.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
You know that an SSD isn't a panacea, right?
Of course we know it's not a panacea, but as you won't actually explain, despite being asked numerous times, what you're doing with your machine and thus why you think the Mini doesn't cut it, it's difficult for this thread to go much further

----------

An SSD I'm sure is brilliant and after using other PCs with one, I wouldn't buy a new computer without. But upgrading a current Mini to SSD is not always the answer!

Anyway, I'll jump in here for some advice having been waiting for months now. I currently have a Late 2009 White MacBook and am waiting for a new Mac Mini for the reasons above.

I have looked at the MBP but not sure it's worth paying for the screen when my current MacBook normally sits under a 24" ACD since early last year.
So if image, or anyone else, can give an opinion on a new Mini vs. a MBP then that would be great.
Ther is no guaranty there will be a new Mini nor that an SSD will be available as an option. Any recent Mini (used or refurb) will be decent step forward over your white MacBook. If you upgrade Mini RAM to min 8 and add an SSD (or even a 7200rpm HDD as 8 have) you'll see a big step forward. So you need not wait and you need not buy a new Mini to get a jump in performance. If you want a new machine now I would say MBP as its more upto date technology wise

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
NYC

I think you're all being a little hard on the guy, for all we know he does need the extra CPU and GPU power. In fact this is the reason that I did not go for the current Mini as I would need the top spec and even then I'm not sure how future-proof that would be for me.

image, if you would like to explain the benefits you see with the MBP then maybe everyone else will understand?
Personally I am a regular user of MATLAB (number crunching), so I need a good CPU and also Creo (3D CAD) so I want some graphics power. I play the odd game too but not as regularly.

Sure, I'm using photoshop + illustrator at the same time, using large files. Outlook, Mail, chrome, iTunes, and firefox are all open as well. On my Mac Mini I use a 25" screen and a 19" screen (this is a MBPr limitation without connecting it to the screens, I know).

The speed of the MBPr running graphics-intensive software / virtualization is incomparable.

I also use Parallels and run autocad in windows.

Thank you!

mrderik

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
Alaska
Greetings - after waiting nearly a year for new PCIe based mini - same here. My 2009 mini was soooooo slow with hd video transfer and rendering, I didn't see the point of spending a bunch of time and a few hundred bucks on an SSD and upgrade to mavericks. So I bought a 15" rMBP. I use it in clamshell mode most of the time at my desk, with my still perfectly good 24" ACD. and when I need to take it into the field, or a trip for work, i can. Or when I really need an extra monitor for detailed file transfer work over the network, just open it up and use it as a secondary monitor. Sorry (other) mini fans, but it really is the best of both Worlds! ;-)
D.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Sure, I'm using photoshop + illustrator at the same time, using large files. Outlook, Mail, chrome, iTunes, and firefox are all open as well. On my Mac Mini I use a 25" screen and a 19" screen (this is a MBPr limitation without connecting it to the screens, I know).

The speed of the MBPr running graphics-intensive software / virtualization is incomparable.

I also use Parallels and run autocad in windows.

Thank you!

Which rMBP did you buy? [And what spec?]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.