Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, several images surfaced on Chinese site Feng [Google Translate, via Nowhereelse.fr] showing a physical mockup of what was said to be Apple's upcoming iPhone 6. The mockup appears to be based on design drawings shared by Japanese magazine MacFan last month.

iphone_6_55_mockup_front.jpg
Most of the reports covering the images have indicated that the mockup appears to represent the rumored 4.7-inch iPhone 6, but we believe this mockup is actually of the even larger model that has been reported as having a display in the range of 5.5-5.7 inches. Among the evidence pointing to this being the larger version:

- Protruding rear camera: In the design drawings, only the larger model is depicted with a protruding rear camera similar to that seen on the current iPod touch. The drawings show the larger iPhone 6 as slightly thinner than its smaller sibling, necessitating a slight protrusion to accommodate the camera module.

iphone_6_55_mockup_rear.jpg
- Display to device height ratio: The design drawings show that the larger 5.5-5.7 inch iPhone 6's display is approximately 80 percent of the height of the device, while the 4.7-inch model's display is around 75 percent of the device height. The photos of the mockup show lines delineating the display edges as putting the ratio closer to the 80 percent figure seen on the larger model.

- Size in hand: Hand size obviously varies significantly from person to person, making comparisons difficult, but the physical mockup simply looks very large in the hand. According to the design drawings, the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 is just 13 mm taller and 7.5 mm wider than the iPhone 5s, but the mockup looks more like the larger iPhone 6 design, which is an additional 20 mm taller and 11 mm wider.

iphone_6_55_mockup_side.jpg
Most of the recent attention has been on the smaller 4.7-inch version of the iPhone 6, as that is expected to debut first around the September timeframe. Multiple reports have indicated that the even larger version will likely arrive several months later.

Article Link: Physical Mockup Appears to Show Larger 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 in Hand

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Ridiculously large for a phone. I'm hoping the rumoured smaller size won't feel too oversized compared to the already large 5S.

moeafg

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2014
Birmingham
I wish we could just wait for it to be released so they don't ruin the surprise.. but then again, these leaks could be wrong

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
It looks like a Nexus 5. Of course, I don't expect it to when/if Apple releases the new iPhone, since Apple's products are top of the line in terms of aesthetics. :)

reznick

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
At first I was leaning towards the 4.7 version, but I'm starting to change my mind.

With my iWatch, I'll be able to do mundane things quickly. Then, I can enjoy content consumption on my 5.5

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I hope that Apple has at least a decent excuse (battery?) for why they go for such a large footprint.

Apple has no excuse.... Because this is nothing but a silly mockup someone made in their basement with no knowledge of what Apple is actually releasing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.