Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alex771

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2023
That article is no longer available, but there is is a CNET article about it from 2009.

I don't remember if I installed this update or not. Could somebody who knows for sure that you installed it, check your "Software Update.log" (in Console or in System Profiler) and tell me what to look for? Otherwise, did somebody keep the standalone BatteryUpdate11.dmg and could make it available?

Just out of curiosity what's a PowerBook5,2 ... 5,8 ?
These are the machine identifiers. You'll find that in System Profiler > Hardware Overview and at everymac.com.

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2021
Pulled from archive.org:

Attachments

• BatteryUpdate11.dmg.zip
    415.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Updating battery firmware for PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) and some earlier PowerBooks.pdf
    155.6 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: Alex771

Alex771

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2023
Could somebody who knows for sure that you installed it, check your "Software Update.log" (in Console or in System Profiler) and tell me what to look for?
The installation was logged in /var/log/install.log

Applying the PowerBook G4 Battery Updater on OS X Leopard on an aftermarket battery returns this message:
Picture 2.png

I received the same message on a second aftermarket battery from the same source. Actually, the first time I tried the update, I received a "Your battery does not need to be updated” message.

I think this might be a good indication that aftermarket batteries do not contain the same microprocessor inside the battery enclosure as the original A1148 battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.