Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eldaddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
Hi all,

sorry if this has been answered before but I cant seem to find a solution out there..

I've recently sent my macbook pro 2.53GHz mid 2010 for better parts to be fitted by a uk company as follows:
- a 1tb 7200rpm hard disk instead of my 5OOgb 5400 rpm one
- 2 x 4Gb Ram instead of my 2 x 2Gb
- a new 77.5wh battery instead of my old one (specs of which i dont know)

I had to buy the last one separately and the company kindly accepted to fit in for me .

Since i've got it back, my magsafe 85w charger is flicking between orange led whilst the mac displays "charging" and green led whilst "not charging" is displaying. The switch in charging states happens every few minutes randomly and this something that never ever happened before even though my previous battery displayed "recycle battery soon" (or something similar).

The mac seems to still be charging but the remaining time to charge to full battery message changes all the time and isnt accurate as it sometimes says 1min left for for 20min for instance..

Ive already cleaned my charger plug and input and done my battery calibration, smc and nvram resets as detailed on the apple website and on many tutorials online to no avail .

The company advised me to do those resets and that's it as they didn't have the battery in stock and actually were nice enough to fit it in for me as i had to buy it separately. The company that actually sold the battery to me also advised those resets. Neither company is offering more help as they didnt actually fit in the part they sold.

I think the nvram reset worked as I could hear a second and even a third chime upon starting up the mac.

however, i dont think there is a way to know if the smc reset actually took place ?

Im running out of ideas and I hope one of you well intentioned peeps can help ?

Here 's a little paste of my current system profiler as it currently seems to be charging normally.

The cycle count was at 1 when I received the machine yesterday and is now at 4.

By the way one last question, apart from your monthly (or more likely 3 monthly) battery calibration , is there any particular battery charging "etiquette" to follow to optimise battery life ?

Cheers ,
Dave

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: D86216703T3DGDMBW
Manufacturer: SMP
Device name: bq20z451
Pack Lot Code: 0000
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0406
Hardware Revision: 0002
Cell Revision: 0157
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 5378
Fully charged: No
Charging: Yes
Full charge capacity (mAh): 7015
Health Information:
Cycle count: 4
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 3922
Voltage (mV): 12393

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: Yes
Current Power Source: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
GPUSwitch: 2
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 180
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
GPUSwitch: 2
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
ID: 0x0100
Wattage (W): 85
Revision: 0x0000
Family: 0x00ba
Serial Number: 0x00c1800b
Charging: Yes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.