Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SenileTomato

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
I have just purchased a brand new 15" MBP Retina model ME664LL/A (3rd Generation Model with the Nvidia dedicated graphics card). When I turned it on, I first tried installing Windows and partitioning the disk with the older OSX Version 10.8.3. I downloaded all of the necessary apple support software, but when I tried partitioning the disk, it restarted the computer after the supposed partition, and a blank black screen came up with a white blinking cursor.

In order to solve this problem, I removed and then again installed a new partition, and I still had the same issue. Finally, I decided to upgrade to OSX Mavericks to see if this was the problem, but still no luck.

I would also like to add that when I had the Windows partition installed, I tried restarting the computer, holding the alt/option key, and selecting to boot from the Windows CD. When I did this, a black screen came up and it read if I can remember correctly, "CDBOOT: No BOOTMNGR" or something like that.

Any suggestions?

Mark

Last edited:

SenileTomato

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Have you tried not using the CD but instead letting the Bootcamp app create a bootable USB stick?

Yes I have, and unfortunately this didn't work. I think it still needs the CD itself to install Windows because Windows itself hasn't been installed, but Boot Camp Assistant has simply made a partition for it.

SenileTomato

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Where did you get your Windows 8.1 CD?
The USB should have worked so if it didn't and if the CD itself didn't then that kind of points to a bad CD.
You should try making a new USB using the ISO files from here
http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-8-1-download/

Well the USB was holding the Windows 8 Support Software, and the CD was working for sure because I have used it to install Windows 8.1 previously.

Thanks for the link, but I'm weary on the safety of the iso file. Have you personally used this iso?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
If you let Bootcamp assistant create the USB then it will have both the Windows installation files and the support software.
That's the ideal method because the support software gets installed automatically during the installation.
And yes, I have used those files.
I got the link from this thread so I'm guessing others have used them also.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1727878/

SenileTomato

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
If you let Bootcamp assistant create the USB then it will have both the Windows installation files and the support software.
That's the ideal method because the support software gets installed automatically during the installation.
And yes, I have used those files.
I got the link from this thread so I'm guessing others have used them also.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1727878/

Finally got Windows on my MBP Retina 15". Thank GOD. Although now I'm having another issue...trying to install and use the Windows 8.1 file you showed me for a friend's computer. I am using the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool, but when I get to step 3 of 4 (to start copying the iso file onto the bootable USB device), it tells me it was unable to complete the action. Any suggestions?

Mark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.