Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 1, 2014, 05:13 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone 6 Physical Mockup Allegedly Based on Real Machine Schematics Surfaces

A new physical mockup claiming to be based on real iPhone 6 machine schematics from supply chain sources has surfaced on Chinese technology blog 86Digi (via Nowhereelse.fr, Google Translate).

The physical mockup shows the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 as a 6 mm thin device featuring rounded corners and various physical changes. In line with other reports, the model shows the power button now located on the top right hand side of the device, rectangular volume controls on the left, and the camera and circular LED flash on the rear.

Notably, the mockup also shows two antenna breaks cut out on the device's rear, with the post noting that Apple will incorporate a three-stage aluminum design on the back of the iPhone 6. This is partially in line with a report from Mac Otakara last week that claimed Apple would be doing away with the glass breaks currently found on the iPhone 5s in favor of an aluminum design, although it is unsure how Apple will incorporate changes to its overall antenna layout to accommodate the new look.

The photos and video of this new mockup follow images of other physical mockups in recent days, including another model from a case manufacturer showing the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and one showing the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 based on design drawings shared by Japanese magazine MacFan last month.

The iPhone 6 is expected to be unveiled this fall in two different sizes of 4.7-inches and 5.5-inches. The 4.7-inch version of the device will likely ship first in the third quarter of 2014, while the 5.5-inch version is estimated to ship later this year or early next year as Apple solves issues with the phone's display and battery.

In addition to a larger display, both versions of the iPhone 6 are expected to include a thinner profile, a faster A8 processor, Touch ID fingerprint sensor, and an improved camera that may feature optical image stabilization or electronic image stabilization. Jefferies analyst Peter Misek also claimed in a research note earlier this month that Apple is negotiating for a $100 price increase on the iPhone 6.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Physical Mockup Allegedly Based on Real Machine Schematics Surfaces
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 05:15 AM   #2
Broph
macrumors 6502

Day one purchase for me.
Old May 1, 2014, 05:16 AM   #3
borneo76
macrumors member

i will buy 4.7-inch iPhone 6, but not 5.5/5.7-inch, it's to big.
borneo76 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 05:16 AM   #4
Wuiffi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The physical mockup shows the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 as a 6 mm thin device
Oh god, WHY?!
Old May 1, 2014, 05:17 AM   #5
Dagless
macrumors Core

How many more mock ups are on the horizon? Can someone mock up the horizon so we can work it out first?
Old May 1, 2014, 05:17 AM   #6
H2SO4
macrumors 65816

Note even related to the phone but, 'based off of'?

It hurts my ears every time I hear it and just sounds a bity cockney to me. Shouldn't it be 'based on'?

Anyway. I like the phone. A lot. It's all the excuse I need to upgrade.
Old May 1, 2014, 05:17 AM   #7
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

So its going to be :

Thiner
Faster
Larger
More Expensive.

as long as they damn well increase the battery life to cope with the bigger screen area, and dont just say "8hrs is all most people NEED" like they seem to have with the last 6 phones [3G,3GS,4,4S,5,5S) (only the 1st gen had a decent battery life, my 1st gen still gets 2-3 days on a single charge and is still in use by my mother)
Old May 1, 2014, 05:19 AM   #8
koulmj
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
How many more mock ups are on the horizon? Can someone mock up the horizon so we can work it out first?
People are getting really good at making mock iphones....but whats the pount, they dont function...why would u do this as a hobby, go build ships in a bottle or something.
koulmj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 05:19 AM   #9
maflynn

Looks nice but so far I'm not sure I'm jazzed up about the thinness. I'm worried about its structural integrity.
Old May 1, 2014, 05:19 AM   #10
Wuiffi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightarchaon View Post
as long as they damn well increase the battery life to cope with the bigger screen area, and dont just say "8hrs is all most people NEED" like they seem to have with the last 7 phones (only the 1st gen had a decent battery life, my 1st gen still gets 2-3 days on a single charge and is still in use by my mother)
Too bad that thinness seems to be the only thing Apple cares about :/

I'd prefer some QoL features like a really awesome battery life and/or a hugely improved camera

Last edited by Wuiffi; May 1, 2014 at 05:26 AM.
Wuiffi is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 05:20 AM   #11
ouchiko
macrumors newbie

It's hard to get overly excited these days about it. It's essentially going to be a well built, metal cased 5-6" phone which will ultimately look like most of the other phones on the market.

The evolution of the software seems to be most important and in Apples case, most lacking element at the moment. Having a slightly bigger grid for your apps won't change much.

My 2p.
ouchiko is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 05:20 AM   #12
diddl14
macrumors 6502

What a weird video...
diddl14 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 05:21 AM   #13
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

With so many of these leaks being so similar, this design is looking more and more definitive. I do like it, but I'm more curious to hear about its specs, especially storage capacity. Only a month till WWDC...
jayducharme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 05:21 AM   #14
alohamade
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Note even related to the phone but, 'based off of'?

It hurts my ears every time I hear it and just sounds a bity cockney to me. Shouldn't it be 'based on'?

Anyway. I like the phone. A lot. It's all the excuse I need to upgrade.
Ask and you shall receive a change in the first sentence.
Old May 1, 2014, 05:21 AM   #15
lk400
macrumors 6502

Oh cool another mock up post!!!

Said nobody, ever.
lk400 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 05:22 AM   #16
The Mercurian
macrumors 6502

Gotta say....looks alot like recent HTC/Samsung models
The Mercurian is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 05:26 AM   #17
lk400
macrumors 6502

Quote:
So its going to be :

Thiner
Faster
Larger
More Expensive.

as long as they damn well increase the battery life to cope with the bigger screen area, and dont just say "8hrs is all most people NEED" like they seem to have with the last 6 phones [3G,3GS,4,4S,5,5S) (only the 1st gen had a decent battery life, my 1st gen still gets 2-3 days on a single charge and is still in use by my mother)
Could that be something to do with the limitations of its usage? I've got a locked down 5S for work with many features disabled and I can easily get 3 days of a single charge on day and night.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mercurian View Post
That's because it's just a cheap hunk of plastic (well my joke doesn't work well for the HTC reference)
lk400 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 05:27 AM   #18
Zxxv
macrumors 68000

why do these people have no friends to hold the camera for them?

Mock up looks like a 5C that someone sat on. Flatter bigger. Woopedy doo
Zxxv is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 05:27 AM   #19
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiffi View Post
Too bad that thinness seems to be the only thing Apple seems to care :/

I'd prefer some QoL features like a really awesome battery life and/or a hugely improved camera
Yeah the Thinness is starting to annoy me now, the iPhone was a joy to hold, it sat in the hand well, had a nice weight to it, and the metal curves made it feel like a quality item, then the 3G/3GS went tacky and plastic, but still was the right weight and shape, it "fitted" in the hand well, the 4/4S and 5/5S feel like holding horrible square coasters rather than a nice device, its almost as though they have been crafted specifically to be held poorly and dropped, the rounded corners and weight of the original fitted hands better, our hands are curved, not square brackets into which a phone fits like a lego block.

just my opinion of course, but id like a thicker, weightier iPhone, with , lets say, at least DOUBLE the battery life of the ones we have now.
Old May 1, 2014, 05:34 AM   #20
Mr Fusion
macrumors 6502a

Who gives a **** how thin it is... Does that make it look better when it has to sit in its dock charging three times a day?

Mr Fusion is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 05:35 AM   #21
Zxxv
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yeah the Thinness is starting to annoy me now, the iPhone was a joy to hold, it sat in the hand well, had a nice weight to it, and the metal curves made it feel like a quality item, then the 3G/3GS went tacky and plastic, but still was the right weight and shape, it "fitted" in the hand well, the 4/4S and 5/5S feel like holding horrible square coasters rather than a nice device, its almost as though they have been crafted specifically to be held poorly and dropped, the rounded corners and weight of the original fitted hands better, our hands are curved, not square brackets into which a phone fits like a lego block.

just my opinion of course, but id like a thicker, weightier iPhone, with , lets say, at least DOUBLE the battery life of the ones we have now.
My best guess why they're going for thinner = less battery less energy less earths resources.

I agree the feel on the 4S and 5s is not the nicest experience. I guess thats why they came out with the leather case for 5s.
Zxxv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 05:50 AM   #22
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mercurian View Post
I noticed that too… they are all rectangular shaped… rounded corners and have a screen on one side!

Sorry… I'm being a smart a$$… I'm just ready for the real thing. I wish they had better control on the leaks. I miss the old days of being surprised on announce day.

But I'm sure, like most previous Apple products… the feel of the new phone should be really good. Just like the new iPad Air… you have to touch it to really appreciate the design and the feel of it.
Popeye206 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 05:50 AM   #23
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
Apple is losing market share because cheaper phones from other manufacturers have improved so much, they are a viable cheaper alternative.
Apple's move? make it thinner, and increase the price by $100... go figure.
juanm is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 05:51 AM   #24
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Apple will save lots of money on R&D by leaking schematics and letting the community build physical mockups
Kilamite is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 05:53 AM   #25
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

Looking good. Goodbye tacky, sharp polished edges.

Last edited by myrtlebee; May 1, 2014 at 06:01 AM.
myrtlebee is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion