Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jtuner77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
I have been trying to find a solid graphics card that offers dual display port so I can run 2 Apple 27" Thunderbolt Displays.

I thought what I found a card that looked like it would work but alas it is discontinued, cannot find it for sale on Ebay or Amazon.

This was the unit. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BW0XDU6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now everything I find either does not seem to be supported by Maverick OR it cost at a starting price 1000-1500 dollars.

Was seeing if anyone has had any similar experiences and found a card that worked well for them before I go out and spend a boatload of money.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
So what card do you need to run those monitors? I have a feeling you are wrong.

So what you need to run Thunderbolt Displays? Is that what you are asking? You need a 2011 or newer Mac (exception is Mac pro which has to be the 2013). You can not run a TBD on a 2012 or older Mac Pro as there is no compatible card.

To be more clear: You CAN NOT add Thunderbolt to a Mac via any kind of expansion card. It must be built into the unit.

This is why Apple still sells the old Displayport ACD monitor for use in older (2012 or older) Mac Pros.

EDIT: If you are running Mavericks and do not care about boot screens, you can run just about ANY new Radeon card with dual DP, but again they will not work with TBD.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Apple's Thunderbolt display requires a thunderbolt-enabled computer.
There's no upgrade for your 2008 Mac Pro to add a thunderbolt port.
Although you can add a graphics card with display port, or Mini Displayport, that does not give you a thunderbolt port.
If you want to add that graphics card with display port, then you will need a display that provides a display port input.
Apple's Thunderbolt display doesn't work with a Displayport connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.