Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today expanded iTunes in the Cloud in Germany, adding access to movies and television shows. As noted by German site iFun.de [Google Translation] German users are now able to download TV shows on their Apple TVs, as well as access previously purchased movie and television content on any of their Apple devices.

germanyitunesinthecloud.jpg
Prior to today's update, iTunes in the Cloud in Germany was limited to music, apps, and e-books, though German users were able to purchase movies via iTunes. Apple has also reportedly updated its terms of service in the country to reflect the new content offerings, but the iTunes in the Cloud support page and the country's Apple TV page have yet to be updated.

iTunes in the Cloud, which allows iTunes users to download previously purchased content, initially launched back in June of 2011 in the United States, with U.S. users receiving access to movies and TV shows in March of 2012. Apple has been working on expanding movie and television show coverage to additional countries since that time. Currently, a number of countries have iTunes in the Cloud access to movies, while television shows are limited to just five countries.

Apple last expanded iTunes in the Cloud back in August of 2013, adding movie support in Japan and seven other European countries, including Austria, Switzerland, and Italy.

Update 3:00PM PT: Apple has also expanded iTunes in the Cloud in Spain, adding access to movies.

Article Link: Apple Expands iTunes in the Cloud in Germany With Access to Movies and TV Shows

Deepdragon

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
Finally!! Oh my god, I'm still so overwhelmed... :D I thought I got a heart attack when I saw the little notification on the upper right hand corner of my Mac from 9to5mac a couple of minutes ago, stating that Germany would gain iTunes in the Cloud support for TV shows and movies!

We have waited soooo long! And honestly, I didn't think that we would get the feature this year either.

I love you Apple!! :D

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Oh Mein Gott !!!
Endlich ... Endlich ... es ist soweit!!!

Was passiert mit gekauftem Content?
What happens to already purchased content?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
dios mio

finally ... oh wait i havent bought any movies / tv shows on itunes yet lol

iTunes Match for movies/tv would be neat ^^

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
"This item is temporarily not available."

Guess it'll work later (fingers crossed).

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Too bad I'm getting my iTunes content from other sources now.

Why would I buy „The Good Wife“ season 1-3 or „The Walking Dead“ season 1-3. It's 2014 for gods sake. If you want my money, at least give me the new stuff, with original sound and subtitles. Because that's what I get from seerobbers.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Does anyone think they will ever enable iTunes match for movies?
No. :eek: But I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Does anyone think they will ever sell only HD versions of movies? Because you can't buy a cheaper version of music with a low quality audio codec anymore. And if so, will there be a free upgrade for those who purchased SD versions in the past? This question alone keeps me from buying anything.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone think they will ever enable iTunes match for movies?

Studios would never go for it. Or if they did it wouldn't be 25000 titles or only $25 a year (and certainly not the same $25).

----------

No. :eek: But I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Does anyone think they will ever sell only HD versions of movies? Because you can't buy a cheaper version of music with a low quality audio codec anymore. And if so, will there be a free upgrade for those who purchased SD versions in the past? This question alone keeps me from buying anything.

I hope eventually all titles will be at least 720

As for price, free is unlikely but perhaps they would have an iTunes plus pay up like music did

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
Also bei mir funktioniert noch nix. Wie sieht es bei euch anderen aus? Es erscheint noch nix in der video app, wohl aber bei itunes, dass ich es herunterlasen kann. Dann jedoch kommt die Meldung, dass der Artikel nicht mehr verfügbar sei. :confused:

postpc

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
Germany
Endlich. Allerdings ist der Shop in einem schlechten Zustand und die Preise sind unter/außerirdisch, aber was solls ist erstmal eine gute Nachricht, weiter so.

2crazy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2012
Saint Louis
There are actually a few good German movies in the DE store, which I would purchase in a heart beat. But none of them seem to have English subtitles. It's really a shame, because most of these titles are not available in the US store :-(

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
dios mio

finally ... oh wait i havent bought any movies / tv shows on itunes yet lol

iTunes Match for movies/tv would be neat ^^

Aye, the prices are a joke...
Sometimes they are ok when they have stuff on sale, but more often than not the prices don't compare to physical media at all.
Also, I don't get multiple audio tracks and many other things that I get with physical media.
The ability to put something nice in a shelf aside...

iTunes Match for movies is what we truly need, much agreed.

So far, this is a very welcome move though.

Glassed Silver:mac

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Also, iTunes Germany now has 1080p movies and TV shows available.
Maybe this was the case a little earlier on, but I just noticed it.

Upgrading the few things I ever got from iTunes from 720p to 1080p as we speak. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.