Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 1, 2014, 03:48 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Hiring MIT Researcher With Expertise in Ear-Worn Vital Signs Monitor

Apple may be adding to its wearables team, as MIT researcher Eric Winokur will be joining the company in the coming weeks, according to a source who spoke to MacRumors. Winokur, who does research at MIT's Medical Electronic Devices Realization Center, has recently worked on an ear-worn "wearable vital signs monitor." According to his LinkedIn page, one of his specialties is "wearable medical device R&D."

Quote:
My professional experience includes many aspects of research and development in the electrical engineering field, with an emphasis on medical monitors. From conceptualizing designs to following through with circuit layout (both IC and PCB) and building full prototypes, I have enjoyed being involved in the entire process.

Specialties: Wearable medical device R&D, circuit design, PCB and IC layout, signal processing, physiological to electrical signal conversion
Winokur is listed as an author on a number of academic papers focusing on cardiovascular ear-worn devices that measure vital signs. His work was published in two 2012 papers, the first entitled "An ear-worn continuous ballistocardiogram (BCG) sensor for cardiovascular monitoring" and the second entitled "A wearable vital signs monitor at the ear for continuous heart rate and pulse transit time measurements." Ballistocardiography aims to measure the movement of blood into major vessels with each heart beat.

Both papers describe an ear-worn device that is designed to wirelessly monitor vital signs using a built-in triaxial accelerometer. The devices are described as taking on the form factor of a hearing aid and are wirelessly connected to a PC for data recording and analysis.

Word of Winokur's hiring comes just as a rumor has surfaced claiming Apple is planning to launch EarPods headphones with integrated heart rate and blood pressure sensors. While the claim is extremely sketchy, Apple patent applications have revealed the company's interest in integrating biometric sensors into headphones in the past.

Regardless, it is unclear if Winokur will continue his work on ear-worn monitoring devices at Apple or perhaps move to focus on wearables in general, such as the iWatch. Given the timing of his hiring, it is unlikely his expertise will impact any of Apple's product plans rumored for later this year, but he may certainly contribute to the company's ongoing efforts in the health and wearables area.

In a 2011 interview with ABC, Winokur described the benefit of the medical device he was developing, suggesting it was to be worn in the ear all day for continuous monitoring of blood pressure and heart rate.
Quote:
"The goal is to have this worn, basically throughout the day," Eric Winokur, an MIT Ph.D. candidate told Ivanhoe.

It measures heart rate and blood pressure at your head, and could help doctors track conditions like high blood pressure more accurately and continuously to better personalize treatment.

Winokur listed some typical questions that patients will be able to get answers to using the device, "Is my medication working? Should I increase it? Should I decrease it? What's my overall health?".
In recent months, Apple has taken an intense interest in health monitoring, hiring multiple health experts with a range of skills and interests, including non-invasive monitoring of heart rate, oxygen saturation, glucose, and more. Many of the experts have joined the company's iWatch team, focusing on developing a sensor-laden wearable device that may be released later this year.

Alongside the iWatch, Apple is also developing iOS 8, which is said to have a heavy focus on health with its included "Healthbook" app, designed to aggregate health-related data from a variety of sources. While Winokur's role is currently unknown, he is set to join Apple next month.

Article Link: Apple Hiring MIT Researcher With Expertise in Ear-Worn Vital Signs Monitor
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 03:49 PM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Good pick from a great school.
Old May 1, 2014, 03:50 PM   #3
Peace
macrumors P6

While this is good for Apple I think they are going to create a paranoid,hypochondriac culture.
Old May 1, 2014, 03:53 PM   #4
captain cadet
macrumors regular

So the last rumor must be true that they are working on something. It's odd to Apple goes and gets someone who can get data from the ears after a rumor
captain cadet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 03:54 PM   #5
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
While this is good for Apple I think they are going to create a paranoid,hypochondriac culture.
Awareness is not a bad thing.
Old May 1, 2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Fred Stein
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Fred Stein
Heart monitoring

Without predicting what Apple plans, there are so many ways that consumer tech could improve medical treatment. Heart attacks could be predicted and treated before they occur with low cost monitoring - the arrhythmia often show up well before the full symptoms. Today's EKG is like using a 1960's mainframe.
Fred Stein is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 03:57 PM   #7
Crosscreek
macrumors 6502a

He would be better off on his own.

The egos are gathering.
Crosscreek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 03:58 PM   #8
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a

Wild rumor not so wild.
Old May 1, 2014, 03:58 PM   #9
Frankied22
macrumors 65816

Did this person on Reddit just call it accurately?

http://www.reddit.com/user/digitaldoctor
Old May 1, 2014, 04:14 PM   #10
NMBob
macrumors regular

Quote:
Let's see...your iPhone could predict that you are going to have a heart attack (or detect it after the fact), and call 911 for you, or it could figure out you need some hyper-tension drugs, OK it with your doctor, place the order and even pay for it for you, hmmm, what else...? This will give us one LESS thing to be paranoid about. What could go wrong?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
Good pick from a great school.
Not according to Sheldon. BTW, where did he go to school? Has it ever been said? Or is it CalTech?

(i.e. The Big Bang Theory Sheldon)
NMBob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 04:19 PM   #11
rmatthewware
macrumors 6502

Sounds like fun. I mean, have you ever seen a sad Borg?

Resistence is futile.
rmatthewware is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 04:27 PM   #12
lowercaseperson
macrumors member

Quote:
Although a little extreme, you make a good point. There is a razor thin line between hypochondriac and well informed. As a healthcare worker, however, I feel like I would rather live with the former because of the rampant Heart/Kidney disease that could be prevented if those who are significantly underinformed were enlightened. The number of people with debilitating renal disease from chronic HTN is astronomical and more importantly avoidable. On the flip side though, I've already thrown in the towel - I will be a hypochondriac.
lowercaseperson is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 04:29 PM   #13
DonRivella
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Stein View Post
Without predicting what Apple plans, there are so many ways that consumer tech could improve medical treatment. Heart attacks could be predicted and treated before they occur with low cost monitoring - the arrhythmia often show up well before the full symptoms. Today's EKG is like using a 1960's mainframe.
Correct. The potential for non-invasive health monitoring and diagnostics are huge. The challenge will of course also be the software and data safety/privacy aspects. I firmly believe that - if properly implemented - these technologies together with advances in blood biomarkers will lead to a health care revolution.
DonRivella is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 04:31 PM   #14
Bskippy
macrumors newbie

News just in...

Apple is also incorporating all this as well as an inbuilt translator designed in such a way that there are no batteries and it will never run out of power....

It shall be called the iBabel jibber-fish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sticker,375x360.u1.png
Views:	45
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	470765  
Bskippy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 04:31 PM   #15
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

Interesting timing for that recent rumor. It's sounds like a perfectly matching position at Apple.
Old May 1, 2014, 04:36 PM   #16
macaddict06
macrumors regular

Quote:
As someone in the medical field, I can tell you this is already a thing.

The only things that really help physicians tell patients they are ok (except extreme cases) are data and tests. Now, instead of having Ms. Hypo Chondriac come in each week for a BP reading, you can have a continuous monitor which will give a MUCH better reading than a single check (see White Coat Syndrome).

Who knows, also, what Apple has planned for this. Having the technology is one thing. What Apple is supremely good at is using technology to give us something new and useful - Ping excluded.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Stein View Post
Oh God, could you imagine how awesome it would be if people could use an iOS device and peripherals as a Holter Monitor?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBob View Post
Not according to Sheldon. BTW, where did he go to school? Has it ever been said? Or is it CalTech?
The link in the article says Lehigh:
http://medrc.mit.edu/team-members/eric-winokur/
Old May 1, 2014, 04:37 PM   #17
Four oF NINE
macrumors 6502a

Well this should be a big hit with the health and fitness nuts.
Old May 1, 2014, 04:38 PM   #18
iBlazed
macrumors 6502

Macrumors will have to add a separate forum for health related issues. I can just see the threads now:

"My blood pressure is 123/72, that's like two points more than normal, do I have hypertension???"
iBlazed is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 04:38 PM   #19
huntlane
macrumors newbie

In-ear like a hearing aid you say?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cursor_and_her_-_Google_Search.png
Views:	260
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	470768
huntlane is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 04:43 PM   #20
DarkCole
macrumors member

So if the earbuds are going this route, what is the iWatch going to do for health?
DarkCole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 04:47 PM   #21
chrisbru
macrumors 6502

So if health earpods use the lightning port, what are the chances we see wireless charging?
chrisbru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 04:52 PM   #22
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaddict06 View Post
As someone in the medical field, I can tell you this is already a thing.

The only things that really help physicians tell patients they are ok (except extreme cases) are data and tests. Now, instead of having Ms. Hypo Chondriac come in each week for a BP reading, you can have a continuous monitor which will give a MUCH better reading than a single check (see White Coat Syndrome).

Who knows, also, what Apple has planned for this. Having the technology is one thing. What Apple is supremely good at is using technology to give us something new and useful - Ping excluded.
I look forward to the day I step of the ambulance and someone hands me an iPhone with a patients vitals. I could be totally wrong here and maybe this tech would be a good thing in the future, but dread it right now.

I hope this tech, if heading anywhere, is headed in the fitness direction for now.
Old May 1, 2014, 05:21 PM   #23
engg2000
macrumors member

Location: Canada, not Toronto or Vancouver. Where Gretzky played.
This is Already Available on Kickstarter - The Dash

Hope to get this Bluetooth 4.0 device by the end of the year...even measures O2 saturation, is usable by swimmers, has a self contained 4GB mp3 player, will sync heart rate info with any app that supports it...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ear-headphones
engg2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 05:23 PM   #24
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816

The fact that they're just starting to hire staff for this kind of stuff indicates that a release date is far, far away. Given how perfectionists Apple is, I wouldn't count on anything in the market until mid 2015 at the earliest, if not end of the year 2015.

But if anyone was hoping for some breakthrough devices at WWDC, might as well lower your expectations now. If we get anything it won't be much.
Old May 1, 2014, 05:41 PM   #25
FactVsOpinion
macrumors member

"Two and a half trillion", the news reporter says as the screen shows 2.5 billion ....
FactVsOpinion is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion