Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may be adding to its wearables team, as MIT researcher Eric Winokur will be joining the company in the coming weeks, according to a source who spoke to MacRumors. Winokur, who does research at MIT's Medical Electronic Devices Realization Center, has recently worked on an ear-worn "wearable vital signs monitor." According to his LinkedIn page, one of his specialties is "wearable medical device R&D."

winokur_lab.jpg
My professional experience includes many aspects of research and development in the electrical engineering field, with an emphasis on medical monitors. From conceptualizing designs to following through with circuit layout (both IC and PCB) and building full prototypes, I have enjoyed being involved in the entire process.

Specialties: Wearable medical device R&D, circuit design, PCB and IC layout, signal processing, physiological to electrical signal conversion
Winokur is listed as an author on a number of academic papers focusing on cardiovascular ear-worn devices that measure vital signs. His work was published in two 2012 papers, the first entitled "An ear-worn continuous ballistocardiogram (BCG) sensor for cardiovascular monitoring" and the second entitled "A wearable vital signs monitor at the ear for continuous heart rate and pulse transit time measurements." Ballistocardiography aims to measure the movement of blood into major vessels with each heart beat.

Both papers describe an ear-worn device that is designed to wirelessly monitor vital signs using a built-in triaxial accelerometer. The devices are described as taking on the form factor of a hearing aid and are wirelessly connected to a PC for data recording and analysis.

Word of Winokur's hiring comes just as a rumor has surfaced claiming Apple is planning to launch EarPods headphones with integrated heart rate and blood pressure sensors. While the claim is extremely sketchy, Apple patent applications have revealed the company's interest in integrating biometric sensors into headphones in the past.

Regardless, it is unclear if Winokur will continue his work on ear-worn monitoring devices at Apple or perhaps move to focus on wearables in general, such as the iWatch. Given the timing of his hiring, it is unlikely his expertise will impact any of Apple's product plans rumored for later this year, but he may certainly contribute to the company's ongoing efforts in the health and wearables area.

In a 2011 interview with ABC, Winokur described the benefit of the medical device he was developing, suggesting it was to be worn in the ear all day for continuous monitoring of blood pressure and heart rate.
"The goal is to have this worn, basically throughout the day," Eric Winokur, an MIT Ph.D. candidate told Ivanhoe.

It measures heart rate and blood pressure at your head, and could help doctors track conditions like high blood pressure more accurately and continuously to better personalize treatment.

Winokur listed some typical questions that patients will be able to get answers to using the device, "Is my medication working? Should I increase it? Should I decrease it? What's my overall health?".
In recent months, Apple has taken an intense interest in health monitoring, hiring multiple health experts with a range of skills and interests, including non-invasive monitoring of heart rate, oxygen saturation, glucose, and more. Many of the experts have joined the company's iWatch team, focusing on developing a sensor-laden wearable device that may be released later this year.

Alongside the iWatch, Apple is also developing iOS 8, which is said to have a heavy focus on health with its included "Healthbook" app, designed to aggregate health-related data from a variety of sources. While Winokur's role is currently unknown, he is set to join Apple next month.

Article Link: Apple Hiring MIT Researcher With Expertise in Ear-Worn Vital Signs Monitor

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
So the last rumor must be true that they are working on something. It's odd to Apple goes and gets someone who can get data from the ears after a rumor

Fred Stein

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Los Altos CA
Heart monitoring

Without predicting what Apple plans, there are so many ways that consumer tech could improve medical treatment. Heart attacks could be predicted and treated before they occur with low cost monitoring - the arrhythmia often show up well before the full symptoms. Today's EKG is like using a 1960's mainframe.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
While this is good for Apple I think they are going to create a paranoid,hypochondriac culture.

Let's see...your iPhone could predict that you are going to have a heart attack (or detect it after the fact), and call 911 for you, or it could figure out you need some hyper-tension drugs, OK it with your doctor, place the order and even pay for it for you, hmmm, what else...? This will give us one LESS thing to be paranoid about. What could go wrong? :)

----------

Good pick from a great school.

Not according to Sheldon. :) BTW, where did he go to school? Has it ever been said? Or is it CalTech?

(i.e. The Big Bang Theory Sheldon)

lowercaseperson

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2006
While this is good for Apple I think they are going to create a paranoid,hypochondriac culture.

Although a little extreme, you make a good point. There is a razor thin line between hypochondriac and well informed. As a healthcare worker, however, I feel like I would rather live with the former because of the rampant Heart/Kidney disease that could be prevented if those who are significantly underinformed were enlightened. The number of people with debilitating renal disease from chronic HTN is astronomical and more importantly avoidable. On the flip side though, I've already thrown in the towel - I will be a hypochondriac.

DonRivella

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2007
Without predicting what Apple plans, there are so many ways that consumer tech could improve medical treatment. Heart attacks could be predicted and treated before they occur with low cost monitoring - the arrhythmia often show up well before the full symptoms. Today's EKG is like using a 1960's mainframe.

Correct. The potential for non-invasive health monitoring and diagnostics are huge. The challenge will of course also be the software and data safety/privacy aspects. I firmly believe that - if properly implemented - these technologies together with advances in blood biomarkers will lead to a health care revolution.

Bskippy

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013
News just in...

Apple is also incorporating all this as well as an inbuilt translator designed in such a way that there are no batteries and it will never run out of power....

It shall be called the iBabel jibber-fish

Attachments

• sticker,375x360.u1.png
    sticker,375x360.u1.png
    135.5 KB · Views: 233

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Interesting timing for that recent rumor. ;) It's sounds like a perfectly matching position at Apple.

macaddict06

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
about 3 meters from here. *points*

As someone in the medical field, I can tell you this is already a thing.

The only things that really help physicians tell patients they are ok (except extreme cases) are data and tests. Now, instead of having Ms. Hypo Chondriac come in each week for a BP reading, you can have a continuous monitor which will give a MUCH better reading than a single check (see White Coat Syndrome).

Who knows, also, what Apple has planned for this. Having the technology is one thing. What Apple is supremely good at is using technology to give us something new and useful - Ping excluded.

----------

Oh God, could you imagine how awesome it would be if people could use an iOS device and peripherals as a Holter Monitor?

----------

Not according to Sheldon. :) BTW, where did he go to school? Has it ever been said? Or is it CalTech?

The link in the article says Lehigh:
http://medrc.mit.edu/team-members/eric-winokur/

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Macrumors will have to add a separate forum for health related issues. I can just see the threads now:

"My blood pressure is 123/72, that's like two points more than normal, do I have hypertension???"

DarkCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2013
So if the earbuds are going this route, what is the iWatch going to do for health?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
As someone in the medical field, I can tell you this is already a thing.

The only things that really help physicians tell patients they are ok (except extreme cases) are data and tests. Now, instead of having Ms. Hypo Chondriac come in each week for a BP reading, you can have a continuous monitor which will give a MUCH better reading than a single check (see White Coat Syndrome).

Who knows, also, what Apple has planned for this. Having the technology is one thing. What Apple is supremely good at is using technology to give us something new and useful - Ping excluded.

I look forward to the day I step of the ambulance and someone hands me an iPhone with a patients vitals. I could be totally wrong here and maybe this tech would be a good thing in the future, but dread it right now.

I hope this tech, if heading anywhere, is headed in the fitness direction for now.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
The fact that they're just starting to hire staff for this kind of stuff indicates that a release date is far, far away. Given how perfectionists Apple is, I wouldn't count on anything in the market until mid 2015 at the earliest, if not end of the year 2015.

But if anyone was hoping for some breakthrough devices at WWDC, might as well lower your expectations now. If we get anything it won't be much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.