Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I am about to install a Samsung SSD into my 2011 MacBook Pro. I currently use FV2 with the OEM HDD.

Will I have any issues with FV2 on this SSD? Will it shorten its life or cause system issues in later upgrades?

Thanks!

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I have researched it and some users have reported that using FV2 on a third party SSD "causes unused sectors of the drive to be reported as used to the system" which my decrease performance.

Does anyone know of this?

PS: Sorry to moderators about the "bump," this is my first forum use and I did not know what a bump was. I should have posted this info when I posted earlier. Sorry...

jpeezy

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
I just turned on FV2 on my 2011/OWC Extreme Pro 6G about a week ago, haven't noticed any difference or issues.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I have used full disk encryption on 2 SSDs for almost 4 years now. I have not noticed any difference in speed and have had no problems.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Ditto here. About 18 months with a SanDisk SSD in a Mac Mini, File Vault 2 full drive... no problems.

Be aware with a 3rd-party SSD drive, OS X doesn't enable TRIM by default. (I assume this is still true with Mavericks -- can anyone confirm?)

I use a simple free app called "Trim Enabler" to turn it on:
http://www.cindori.org

Last edited:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Ditto here. About 18 months with a SanDisk SSD in a Mac Mini, File Vault 2 full drive... no problems.

Be aware with a 3rd-party SSD drive, OS X doesn't enable TRIM by default. (I assume this is still true with Mavericks -- can anyone confirm?)

I use a simple free app called "Trim Enabler" to turn it on:
http://www.cindori.org

Yes, I can confirm that. On my 840 Pro, updating from 10.9.1 to 10.9.2 disabled TRIM, and I had to re-enable it with TRIM enabler.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Did you guys clone your FV2 encrypted HDD to the SDD (or did you decrypt first before cloning)? If you did, did you experience any problem when upgrading the OS? I couldn't boot after trying to install an upgrade. After restoring from Time Machine, I also found that I could not turn off FV2 since "The target disk isn't eligible for reversion because it wasn't created by conversion or it is not part of a simple setup of exactly one logical and one physical volume." I didn't set up any partitions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.