Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 1, 2014, 06:36 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Notability' Named App of the Week, Available for Free

Popular note taking app Notability has been named Apple's App of the Week, and as a result, it is available as a free download for the first time since it was released in 2011.

Notability allows users to make sketches, take notes, annotate documents, sign contracts, record lectures, and more. It supports input via a finger or stylus and includes palm rejection to make note taking easier.

In addition to touch-based input, the app has a built-in text editor and it also has the ability to record audio. Notability lets users import documents in a wide variety of formats, including PDF, DOC, and PPT.

Notability is a universal app and it has iCloud support, so notes can be transferred between the iPad and the iPhone. It also has support for several different services, including Dropbox, Box, and Google Drive.
Quote:
Welcome to Notability, a powerful note-taker on iPad and iPhone: sketch ideas, annotate documents, sign contracts, complete worksheets, keep a journal, record a lecture, jot travel notes, or teach a class. With iCloud support, your notes always travel with you!

Write, illustrate and annotate using gorgeous ink. Notability's zoom window helps you quickly and clearly draw every detail, while the palm rest protects your notes from unwanted marks. Choose the right pen and paper for any project.
As Apple's App of the Week, Notability will be available as a free download from the App Store for the next seven days. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Notability' Named App of the Week, Available for Free
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 06:44 PM   #2
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
I downloaded right away since I didn't think it was worth paying for before. I was wrong
CrazyForApple is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 06:45 PM   #3
TantalizedMind
macrumors 6502

Never tried it but the icon is 1,000,000 times better than Notes on iOS 7! Long live Notes iOS 6!
TantalizedMind is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 06:47 PM   #4
DTphonehome
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TantalizedMind View Post
Never tried it but the icon is 1,000,000 times better than Notes on iOS 7! Long live Notes iOS 6!
WHAT?!! Noooo! I paid 99 cents for it just two years ago!!!
DTphonehome is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 07:02 PM   #5
TantalizedMind
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTphonehome View Post
Why'd you quote me? lol
TantalizedMind is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 07:17 PM   #6
mdridwan47
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TantalizedMind View Post
Amen to that. I've seen lot of notes app... on android, that puts Jony Ive's notes to shame. BTW you should check out Notability. It's not just one the best notes taking app but one the best app on iOS.
mdridwan47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 07:36 PM   #7
KUguardgrl13
macrumors 65816

Awesome! Seems to have more built-in features and a more usable UI than Evernote. Not sure I'll be keeping Evernote on my iPad mini
Old May 1, 2014, 07:40 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Downloaded it too. It was on my wish list, but then I got Noteshelf. Anyone have any comments about the PDF annotations?
Old May 1, 2014, 08:19 PM   #9
Hammie
macrumors 65816

And the Evernote Jot Script works with it.
Hammie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 10:41 PM   #10
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Quote:
you should request a refund STAT!!!!!! Don't forget to adjust for inflation

lol
Old May 2, 2014, 02:05 AM   #11
Donka
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Downloaded it too. It was on my wish list, but then I got Noteshelf. Anyone have any comments about the PDF annotations?
Awesome app. Best all round note app IMHO. Pdf annotations can be a weakness though as the exported PDF file is flattened so you lose bookmarks, index etc. it's fine for signing PDFs or for marking up small two or three page files but for annotating larger files there are better apps out there.
Donka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 02:46 AM   #12
macnisse
macrumors 6502

Thank you!
macnisse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 04:14 AM   #13
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Noteledge is free also, all of their note apps are free at this time. http://appshopper.com/mac/productivi...ideo-recording
Old May 2, 2014, 04:20 AM   #14
MacRazySwe
macrumors 6502

I just noticed yesterday and decided to download it directly. I'm thinking of using my iPad Mini for voice recording, while taking notes during lectures.

Just a question, how much memory space does voice recordings take up? I only have the 16GB Mini, and it's nearly full already. If I were to empty it, how many ≈2hr lectures would I be able to keep in Notability?

Thanks!

MacRazySwe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 05:27 AM   #15
GerritV
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Notability lets you import a pdf straight into an existing notebook. There it becomes a layer underneath the note page itself, and you'd work on it like in a regular notebook.
Noteshelf treats a pdf as a different resource, and some things are different from a regular notebook: you can pinch to zoom, but the inking is less fluent. You can add a page, but only a blank one.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
Noteledge is free also, all of their note apps are free at this time. http://appshopper.com/mac/productivi...ideo-recording
Wow, talking about skeuomorphism
Old May 2, 2014, 05:32 AM   #16
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRazySwe View Post
I just noticed yesterday and decided to download it directly. I'm thinking of using my iPad Mini for voice recording, while taking notes during lectures.

Just a question, how much memory space does voice recordings take up? I only have the 16GB Mini, and it's nearly full already. If I were to empty it, how many ≈2hr lectures would I be able to keep in Notability?

Thanks!
They'd be less than 20MB, so easily like two years worth. Hahaha.

Thank you Donka and GerritV.

I think I'll stick to my other app for PDFs then.
Old May 2, 2014, 06:43 AM   #17
MacRazySwe
macrumors 6502

Quote:
They'd be less than 20MB, so easily like two years worth. Hahaha.

Thank you Donka and GerritV.

I think I'll stick to my other app for PDFs then.
That's just AWESOME! Thanks!

MacRazySwe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 07:00 AM   #18
hipnetic
macrumors 6502

Is there any way to edit the notes on my MacBook?
hipnetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 07:06 AM   #19
Donka
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipnetic View Post
Is there any way to edit the notes on my MacBook?
You can export in Note format, PDF or RTF. RTF could be a good option for editing on your Macbook as it carries text and recordings.
Old May 2, 2014, 07:35 AM   #20
TXCherokee
macrumors regular

Quote:
And I paid $2.99 just two months ago. But it's such a great app I don't mind, I use it almost everyday with iTunesU.
TXCherokee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 10:23 AM   #21
fjfjfjfj
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
And the Evernote Jot Script works with it.
I wasn't aware it did, that's great. Can you give me your impressions on the Jot Script? I'm really done with these fat tipped styli and want to give it a try.

Thank you.
Old May 2, 2014, 10:36 AM   #22
rockinrocker
macrumors 65816

Is there a way to sync notes to my desktop machine without having to export them with this app?
Old May 2, 2014, 10:37 AM   #23
fjfjfjfj
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrocker View Post
Is there a way to sync notes to my desktop machine without having to export them with this app?
Yes, I do it using DropBox.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:19 AM   #24
Hammie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjfjfjfj View Post
I wasn't aware it did, that's great. Can you give me your impressions on the Jot Script? I'm really done with these fat tipped styli and want to give it a try.

Thank you.
I love it. If I had a complaint, it might be too responsive. Sometimes, I don't get a clear delineation between letters. I mean I can still read it, but IMO, it looks a little sloppy.

Is it worth the $80ish? I think so, but you need to be someone who wants to write on their iPad. I have not tried any art programs, so I cannot say if it works. Pairing Penultimate with Evernote is nice. That is how I have been using it for the most part. I sort of wish Onenote for iPad supported free writing, but I have not found out how to enable it if it does. I'm considering migrating from Dropbox to OneDrive, especially with the Office for iPad. Besides, I get a lot more drive space with OneDrive (30GB vs. 3GB). I also have an Office 365 University subscription.

Let me know if you have specific questions. May make more sense to start a dedicated thread. If you do, let me know and I can post my thoughts specific to your questions.
Hammie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 11:26 AM   #25
Donka
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
I love it. If I had a complaint, it might be too responsive. Sometimes, I don't get a clear delineation between letters. I mean I can still read it, but IMO, it looks a little sloppy.

Is it worth the $80ish? I think so, but you need to be someone who wants to write on their iPad. I have not tried any art programs, so I cannot say if it works. Pairing Penultimate with Evernote is nice. That is how I have been using it for the most part. I sort of wish Onenote for iPad supported free writing, but I have not found out how to enable it if it does. I'm considering migrating from Dropbox to OneDrive, especially with the Office for iPad. Besides, I get a lot more drive space with OneDrive (30GB vs. 3GB). I also have an Office 365 University subscription.

Let me know if you have specific questions. May make more sense to start a dedicated thread. If you do, let me know and I can post my thoughts specific to your questions.
Would be curious how it performs with Notability - perhaps even a short Youtube clip?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion