Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oregonic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
I bought a 12" refurb of the jan. 05 powerbooks, and it is in the process of shipping. However, I hear that the ibook is almost just as good, and a few hundred dollars cheaper. Should I go through the hassle of selling the PB and waiting for the 12" ibooks to get back in the refurb store? OR should I just keep the 12" powerbook?

I am worried about the heat problems with the PB and the battery life as well.

Any opinions?

Thanks

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
What are you gonna use it for?

PBs do get a little hottter than the iBs put it's not that bad...

iBs "did" get better wireless signals, but I've noticed an improvement on reception with the PBs with the latest updates...

If you've got buyer's remorse, DON'T OPEN IT, and ask for a RA # as soon as you get it!

BTW, iBs do get better Batt. life than PBs

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
eleveneastgate said:
What are you gonna use it for?
That's the key question...

If you expect to want to use an external monitor or burn DVD-Rs, stick with the PB. Even with Screen Spanning Doctor, the iBook just doesn't have as many options for externals as the PB (DVI, built in S-video). Plus, you can't get a 12" iBook with a SuperDrive...

B

oregonic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
This PB doesn't have a superdrive either, it is model from last january. If I have buyer's remorse they will allow me to return it for a full refund? Meaning I shouldn't have it listed on Ebay right now?

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
oregonic said:
This PB doesn't have a superdrive either, it is model from last january. If I have buyer's remorse they will allow me to return it for a full refund? Meaning I shouldn't have it listed on Ebay right now?

Got this from:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html

RETURN & REFUND POLICY
If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 14 calendar days of the receipt of the product. Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized product may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless DOA. If the item is returned unopened in the original box, we will exchange it or offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. The product must be returned to the Apple warehouse within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation and registration that shipped with the product. A 10% open box fee will be assessed on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Business Lease, you may be asked to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) for apple to assess the 10% open box restocking fee.

Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:

Product that is custom configured to your specifications
Opened memory
Opened software*
Electronic software downloads
Personalized iPods
Software Up to Date Program Products (SW upgrades)
*You may return software after rejecting the licensing terms, provided the software is not installed on a computer. However, software that contains a printed software license may not be returned if the seal or sticker on the software media packaging is broken.

oregonic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Thanks, I was just looking at that site.... I pulled my ebay auction, but I am thinking of just keeping it...I don't know though, if the refurb 12" ibooks come back online, i'd be saving $300 dollars for letting go of 20gb, a faster processor, better video? .... yet i'd be gaining an hour in battery time, better wireless....

Any thoughts?

Vinnie_vw

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
the Netherlands
If you're on the road a lot, that 1 hour extra can make a lot of difference. Other than that it really depends on how much power you require for your apps and how much space for your files.

oregonic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Will the apple store give me a refund for the product (if I so choose) or do I need to ship it to them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.