Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Acording to IDC experts tablets sales are declining because of people are keeping there tablets for longer and the threat of big sceens smartphones called phablets.

http://tabtimes.com/feature/ittech-...les-slip-idc-says-users-holding-their-devices

I really hope tablets still have a future in this tech mobile world despite sales are declining.

I really like tablets and i have 2 tablets a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7(Android) and a Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700(I5 Core) and i use them everyday and my laptop is just collecting dust,

Maybe the Blackberry CEO is right about tablets will be dead and won't have any reason to buy tablets in 5 years. I really hope not

I don't think tablets are a fad anyway because there are lots of people have replaced there laptops with tablets and lots of work places use tablets as well.

Despite the tablet sales declining i still think tablets still have a future!

What do you think everyone? Are tablets really a fad after all? Do you think tablets still have a future?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It could be more that at the moment the market is maturing. Overall, computer sales are dropping and have been decreasing for a longer period, does that mean they too are a fad?

A fad is something that is a flash in the pan, wicked popular but short lived. At this point, there's nothing short lived about tablets.

There may something different coming that will entice consumers like the hybrid tablets that are more laptop then tablet, but its still too early to tell for those.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Firstly welcome to the forum.

are tablets are really a fad?

Acording to IDC experts tablets sales are declining because of people are keeping there tablets for longer and the threat of big sceens smartphones called phablets.

Can you not see what you have written is an Oxymoron.

If people are keeping & using them for longer - they are not a fad.

A fad is something which quickly passes and people lose interest. If people are using and holding onto their devices longer - that is not a fad, that's just reaching the point where for average Joe Soap - their iPad or android tablet lasts them more than 1 year refresh.

----------

Maybe the Blackberry CEO is right about tablets will be dead and won't have any reason to buy tablets in 5 years. I really hope not

Sorry but considering the downfall and the massive mistakes they have made, quoting or thinking that the Blackberry's CEO is right about hardware trends is seriously an error in judgment.

Last edited:

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I believe the exact opposite. I think that phablets are a fad, or at the very minimum a niche.

Look at the phablet market. It's terribly small, and the only phone that's seeing widespread use is the Galaxy Note line.

Most people aren't in demand for a phone that's over 5.2-5.3. Most people are buying phones between 4.7-5.1.

Phablets aren't going to take over tablet sales anytime soon, if ever.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

http://tabtimes.com/feature/ittech-...les-slip-idc-says-users-holding-their-devices

I really hope tablets still have a future in this tech mobile world despite sales are declining.

I really like tablets and i have 2 tablets a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7(Android) and a Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700(I5 Core) and i use them everyday and my laptop is just collecting dust,

I don't think tablets are a fad anyway becsuse there are lots of people have replaced there laptops with tablets and lots of work places use tablets as well.

Despite the tablet sales declining i still think tablets still have a future!

What do you think everyone? Are tablets really a fad after all? Do you think tablets still have a future?

Fad isn't the right word. The need to upgrade just isn't there in most cases. Consumers typically can't, or won't spend another $600 just to get something a bit thinner that does everything exactly the same and companies are running out of killer features which would sell that new hardware. Computing power has gotten to the point where you just don't need more power for anything, and it's come down to features like fingerprint sensors and marketing gimmicks like retina displays. Even these marketing gimmicks are not working so well as time goes on.

Last edited:

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
I believe the exact opposite. I think that phablets are a fad, or at the very minimum a niche.

Look at the phablet market. It's terribly small, and the only phone that's seeing widespread use is the Galaxy Note line.

Most people aren't in demand for a phone that's over 5.2-5.3. Most people are buying phones between 4.7-5.1.

Also my thoughts, though I'd go even further and say that Smartphones are going to get smaller again some time in the future, but these are only speculations!

Tablets are going to be more and more powerful, getting the chance to replace a traditional Computer or Laptop for a lot of people.
Then they'll already have a portable device, with a even larger Display, thus making the phone again a device, which should be as small as possible, only to fulfill "basic" smartphone needs (Communication, SocialNetwork, Fast Informations) with the personal assistant (Siri, Now or the MS one (forgot the name)) being in the center of use. (So they lack the need for a bigger screen)

One could think of wearables as the fore shining indication of such a development.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Also my thoughts, though I'd go even further and say that Smartphones are going to get smaller again some time in the future, but these are only speculations!

Tablets are going to be more and more powerful, getting the chance to replace a traditional Computer or Laptop for a lot of people.
Then they'll already have a portable device, with a even larger Display, thus making the phone again a device, which should be as small as possible, only to fulfill "basic" smartphone needs (Communication, SocialNetwork, Fast Informations) with the personal assistant (Siri, Now or the MS one (forgot the name)) being in the center of use. (So they lack the need for a bigger screen)

One could think of wearables as the fore shining indication of such a development.

They will actually merge phones and tablets into one device. The need is overwhelmingly there IMO, carrying a tablet around is still a much tougher proposition than carrying a phone around. We should see foldable screens or maybe other innovations powering this. Eventually phones will replace everything, your tablet, laptop, desktop PC, etc.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

Niche? 165 million sold and 175 million predicted sales in 2014 (which by the way could outsell tablets) doesn't fit the term 'niche' very well. Buying a BB10 device puts you in a niche market.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I think tablets will evolve into surface pro style devices with a full OS (or at least the ability to switch btw touch/standard computer mode). As processors get more powerful and sip rather than guzzle the battery.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

IMHO not a fad. I'm a long-time Apple customer…. and I *still* don't have an iPad. There are people like me that still look forward to my first iPad purchase (when the timing is right).

I have (spoiled) young nieces that already own their own iPad minis. And I envy them every time I see them absolutely enjoying their minis.

The declining sales could be due to a few factors. Maybe some maturation in the market is already happening in the developed countries. And also, there will be a few bazillion people who BOUGHT a tablet on impulse, and suddenly they now realize that it was not the appropriate tool for them. So they stopped using their iPads, and when surveyed, these people also are likely saying they won't be buying another tablet any time soon.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Niche? 165 million sold and 175 million predicted sales in 2014 (which by the way could outsell tablets) doesn't fit the term 'niche' very well. Buying a BB10 device puts you in a niche market.

If you're using this source for your data, you really should include all the relevant info.

Yes, the analyst is predicting 175 million in phablet sales, but he also has defined a phablet as any device larger than 5", thus including the LG G2, the Xperia Z1 and 2, and the Galaxy S5, which will account for the vast lion's share of those sales. Anybody else here consider any of those devices a phablet. :rolleyes:

He's also comparing it to sales of small tablets, defined as those with displays less than 8", so the vast majority of Samsung's tablets, LG's tablets, any other larger tablets (Asus, Acer, Microsoft) and of course, the iPad 4 and Air are all excluded.

As much as some like to make fun of phablets, their popularity continues to grow. According to one analyst’s predictions, phablets will even outsell small tablets in 2014. As reported in Forbes, Bob O’Donnell of Technalysis Research predicts that in 2014, 175 million phablets will be sold compared to 165 million small tablets. He defines small tablets as tablets with screens that are less than 8 inches and phablets as phones with screens larger than 5 inches.

So in truth, the numbers of phablets is far, far less than tablets...at least for now.

To address the OP's question, I agree with others that it's not a fad and slowing sales are a symptom of a few things. First, as mentioned, the market maturing is likely one aspect. Second, people view/use tablets quite differently from their smartphones. The mobile industry already has baked in smartphone upgrades every two years and with the new plans, we can upgrade even faster. Also, we generally spend much more time on our smartphones so improvements and changes in functionality will have a greater impact on our daily lives/routines. Tablets fill a need closer to what many use their computers for and I think many treat them just the same (and thus the declining computer sales). We generally don't replace our computers every year or two and existing tablets retain their usefulness longer for most people.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
If you're using this source for your data, you really should include all the relevant info.

Yes, the analyst is predicting 175 million in phablet sales, but he also has defined a phablet as any device larger than 5", thus including the LG G2, the Xperia Z1 and 2, and the Galaxy S5, which will account for the vast lion's share of those sales. Anybody else here consider any of those devices a phablet. :rolleyes:

He's also comparing it to sales of small tablets, defined as those with displays less than 8", so the vast majority of Samsung's tablets, LG's tablets, any other larger tablets (Asus, Acer, Microsoft) and of course, the iPad 4 and Air are all excluded.

So in truth, the numbers of phablets is far, far less than tablets...at least for now.

To address the OP's question, I agree with others that it's not a fad and slowing sales are a symptom of a few things. First, as mentioned, the market maturing is likely one aspect. Second, people view/use tablets quite differently from their smartphones. The mobile industry already has baked in smartphone upgrades every two years and with the new plans, we can upgrade even faster. Also, we generally spend much more time on our smartphones so improvements and changes in functionality will have a greater impact on our daily lives/routines. Tablets fill a need closer to what many use their computers for and I think many treat them just the same (and thus the declining computer sales). We generally don't replace our computers every year or two and existing tablets retain their usefulness longer for most people.

Just my $0.02.

The term phablet was coined with the first Note. It gave way to any phone ranging from 5.1" up to 6.9". Just because 5.1-5.5" devices now seem normal, does not mean their exclusion from the category that was set 3 years back? Does it? If so, who makes up the new definition of a phablet?

Regardless, hundreds of millions of sales excludes phablets from the niche term. Phablets are really popular in Southeastern Asia.

Just my .02.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
I think there are two main things happening:

1) People keep their tablets a lot longer than their phones. There's reallly no need to change your tablet every year, or every other year for most people.

2) Phablets. After switching to the Galaxy Note 3 I really do not use a tablet much any more. If my day-to-day phone had a much smaller screen (the Note 3 is 5.7in or something?) I would likely feel the need for a tablet from time to time.

If I am going to buy a table in the future it will likely be a huge one around 12 inches just for home/couch use.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
They will actually merge phones and tablets into one device. The need is overwhelmingly there IMO, carrying a tablet around is still a much tougher proposition than carrying a phone around. We should see foldable screens or maybe other innovations powering this. Eventually phones will replace everything, your tablet, laptop, desktop PC, etc.

I agree, but what you describe is rather the long term development, whereas the wearable tablet combo could be closer.

I'm not claiming to know the future, just proposing a possible alternative to growing Smartphones.

----------

The term phablet was coined with the first Note. It gave way to any phone ranging from 5.1" up to 6.9". Just because 5.1-5.5" devices now seem normal, does not mean their exclusion from the category that was set 3 years back? Does it? If so, who makes up the new definition of a phablet?

Well it does make sense to define the term phablet to the note 1. But imo it does not make sense to compare the display sizes. The Note1 has an only 0.25 cm bigger Display, but is over 1 cm wider than the S5.

So yes, you should exclude the S5 from the term Phablet.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Regardless, hundreds of millions of sales excludes phablets from the niche term. Phablets are really popular in Southeastern Asia.

Just my .02.

So because someone said (have a link?) once upon a time what size a phablet is means it's absolute? I know Wikipedia isn't the be all end all either but fair to say it's usually close to fact and represents general consensus--they disagree:

Phablets typically have screens that measure (diagonally) between 5.25 to 6.9 inches (130 to 180 mm)

If the term predominantly came to be because of the original Note, seems pretty accurate to set the floor based on that device at 5.3". But what carries more weight, al least IMO, is public perception and perception is reality--that's who sets your definition. Nobody considers any of the devices I previously listed as phablets so to arbitrarily modify the parameters so that the create a more compelling analysis makes that analysis irrelevant.

Regardless of how the numbers are split/defined, we both agree that phablets are quite popular, more so every year, and likely do have some impact on tablet sales, especially small tablets. Phablets were once a niche but any type of device with sales in the ballpark of the iPhone is no longer a niche. I dare someone to head over to the iPhone forums and declare the iPhone is a niche device. ;)

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I think tablets will evolve into surface pro style devices with a full OS (or at least the ability to switch btw touch/standard computer mode). As processors get more powerful and sip rather than guzzle the battery.

This! Unfortunately the Surface Pro has not perfected this yet. Once Apple finally comes to it's senses and creates a laptop/tablet hybrid, it will be the norm.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012

As soon as foldable screens are available, all smartphones will have 6 or 7" display... And tablets market will collapse then.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So does OP not want to respond. They've been back on but not responded..... I suspect we have a walking dead thread here.

CosmoFox

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2014
I like my tablet. Who cares if it's a fad? Technology is constantly changing, and changing how we live, and what we use.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
As soon as foldable screens are available, all smartphones will have 6 or 7" display... And tablets market will collapse then.

Yep, pretty much.

Dual Screen phones have already existed and already attempted to bridge this gap, and they failed miserably.

Remember the Kyocera Echo?

165 million might not seem like a niche, until you look at the fact that in 2013, 968 million smartphones were sold. Phablets accounted for 17% of all smartphone sales in 2014. Not even 1/4th. A 10 million increase in a number like that barely even increases a full percent.

Sure, phablets may have an increase in sales for a short period, but it will die out. There is definitely a demand for 5" screens, and there may be a growing demand for 6" screens, but it will always be a small amount of people. The numbers will die off. Phablets = fad. Tablets = here to stay.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Not a fad. But the smartphone is going to be the only ubiquitous computing device. Everything else will only be desired and used by subsets of the population.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.