Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FelicityW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
NY->CA->AZ->MI->AZ
iPhoto makes it unnecessarily difficult to share photos. By all means, share as long as it is one of the acceptable ways! I used to use MacMail but I switched this year because it was no longer meeting my needs and there were better apps out there. Now, sharing pictures is difficult because I don't want to use social media and I don't use MacMail or Outlook. I tried to message them to someone and thought, let's see what happens if I pick five pictures to send, instead of messaging them one at a time. Well this is what happens! My iPhoto screen went darker, then nothing. So I force quit iPhoto (did not say not responding), but it left behind the five photos, just floating on my screen! I cannot grab them and nothing happens if I click on them. They are just persistent state photos;-).

Well, looks like I am now going to replace iPhoto with something that better meets my needs. Folks take note: I tend to be on the leading edge of a trend and I have been an Apple fan for nearly 30 (gulp) years, but many things seem to be less compelling these days. Has the competition caught up or are they slowing down?

P.S. When I reopened iPhoto, it still has a beach ball, so I guess quit, doesn't always mean quit. On to the reboot; I will add to this if that doesn't fix the beach ball and the floaters.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 5.21.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 5.21.29 PM.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 116

FelicityW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
NY->CA->AZ->MI->AZ
I have never seen this but a reboot should clear this glitch up. Post back more if you can.

Yes, the reboot cleared it. I was able to reproduce it by doing exactly the same thing:

1. Select 5 photos (they happen to be pics taken with my iPhone 5S)
2. Click on 'Share'
4. Click on 'Message'
Voila! Floating pictures!

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Yes, the reboot cleared it. I was able to reproduce it by doing exactly the same thing:

1. Select 5 photos (they happen to be pics taken with my iPhone 5S)
2. Click on 'Share'
4. Click on 'Message'
Voila! Floating pictures!

Strange bug as I have never heard of this one.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Well, looks like I am now going to replace iPhoto with something that better meets my needs. Folks take note: I tend to be on the leading edge of a trend and I have been an Apple fan for nearly 30 (gulp) years, but many things seem to be less compelling these days. Has the competition caught up or are they slowing down?

For the price, I don't think you'll find anything better. But that's just my opinion.

You found an interesting bug, but no app is bug free. You could go the Aperture or Lightroom route, but those aren't free.

The thing I like about iPhoto is how it works with iDevices and AppleTV. Also, everything is available through the Media Browser in other apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.