Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

indecision

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2014
It seems there is absolutely no resale value at all. I have been gifted a black iPad air. It was 64GB, and Iv been trying to get it sold for over a month for a good price. Im looking for around 600. Its still factory sealed with apple care. I don't understand why they have no resale value. Anyone know? On ebay they seem to sell for 500

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
It seems there is absolutely no resale value at all. I have been gifted a black iPad air. It was 64GB, and Iv been trying to get it sold for over a month for a good price. Im looking for around 600. Its still factory sealed with apple care. I don't understand why they have no resale value. Anyone know? On ebay they seem to sell for 500

Because there have been huge deals on iPad Airs. I got one at target Black Friday 64gb iPad Air wifi with $100 gift card. With 5% target card. Essentially $600.

Target recently had a similar sale also along with their addition 10% "cartwheel".

Why would anyone want to pay $600 for it even when new when they can get it themselves for around that same price.

Also factor in the saturation of iPads. iPads sales year to year (q1 2013 compared to q1 2014) are down 16%. Most people already have iPad 2-4 already.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
Strange, I sold two iPad 3s 16GB and 32GB for $800 combined when the air came out on eBay. The air will still be worth $500 in a years time though so that is where you'll win after a good usage period.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Apple is selling iPad Air not very well this year so maybe people are not ready to buy iPad Air this year on eBay and Craigslist. :apple:

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
What's funny here is that iPad 3's and 4's running iOS 6 will go for a lot more than current gen Airs.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I just sold my IPad Mini after 4 months, more or less I gave it away..

I sold my 32GB iPad Mini back in December for $325 and considered myself lucky. I had it for sale for several weeks and got all sorts of low offers. Held out till I got my $325 asking price. I paid $469 for it.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
This happens because the used buyer is likely on a budget and therefore looking to maximize dollars spent. That's why the lower storage sized models sell the best especially used. I have a 32GB air with cell and I expect to keep it a long time since I know it wouldn't sell well or should I say sell for a price I'd be comfortable with.

Honestly, you'll just have to lower the price and it will sell. Since you have zero invested into it, just take what you can get and be done with it.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
It's always harder to get full value for the larger memory products since they are a rip off in the first place :) I've helped some friends sell 32/64gb phones and pads and they don't go for much more than the 16gb models.. that's just my experience. If you hold out long enough, I'm sure you'll find the right buyer.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
It seems as though used iPads take a large hit in value initially, then level out for a while. By that I mean you are getting what seems like low offers/values now, but you may get those same offers in about a year.

As some one else mentioned, it is also hard to recoup the retail value because with something like an iPad or an iPhone, if the discount isn't very big, people will likely just go buy new. That way they know it hasn't been abused and if there are any defects they can deal directly with either Apple or the store where they bought it.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Makes sense. Higher spec'd offerings do not sell as well in comparison to a base unit. As others has stated, used market is to acquire inexpensively. You will have many fewer folks looking for a 64 gig than a 16gig iPad. And those looking for a 64 gig one know this.

To buy 64+ got if you want to keep it forever. You buy the 16gig if you want to resell in a year. Couple that with 1gig of ram when the next should have more, the luke-warm reception of ios7, glut of used product on the market, tons of deals on new iPads, and lots of current new product on the shelf, etc... And you has somethin that does not retain the value YOU think it should have.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
My take is the OP got gifted a brand new iPad that he/she apparently does not want. It didn't cost him/her a dime so selling it for any amount is profitable and IMO trying to get top dollar for something he/she didn't pay for is being overly money hungry. iPads are not in short supply, they've become a commodity product so they are in the hands of many. T-mobile is offering them for cheap and with low cost to free data plans. Unless you find someone who is not a smart shopper trying to get top dollar is just not gonna happen. If you can get $400+ for it take and run.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
My take is the OP got gifted a brand new iPad that he/she apparently does not want. It didn't cost him/her a dime so selling it for any amount is profitable and IMO trying to get top dollar for something he/she didn't pay for is being overly money hungry. iPads are not in short supply, they've become a commodity product so they are in the hands of many. T-mobile is offering them for cheap and with low cost to free data plans. Unless you find someone who is not a smart shopper trying to get top dollar is just not gonna happen. If you can get $400+ for it take and run.

I agree. Maybe give it back to the person who gave it to you then if you don't want it.

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
I don't get it either but yet a new 16gb iPhone 5 is still going for $500 on ebay.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
In 2012, I helped sell a 6 month old 32GB iPad 3 for a $50 net loss. I guess that doesn't happen anymore?

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I thought it was well established that the higher capacity models don't hold their value as well as the 16GB ones. I think it's obvious why - the market is bigger for the cheaper ones.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I agree. Maybe give it back to the person who gave it to you then if you don't want it.

Exactly! That's what I was about to say earlier. If you don't want the nice gift someone gave you then give it back.....and if you must, ask them to give you the money they spent on it instead...but IMO that falls under the entitlement category.

indecision

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2014
lol, Im not rich or anything. It was a gift yes, but that does not change the fact I have an unopened product with still the factory seal on it. Also the person that gave the gift does not want it back.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Unfortunately, you're unlikely to get higher than the offers you're currently getting now. Resale will likely drop even further come October or thereabouts. If you really don't want it, just sell it for the highest offer and be done with it.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Unfortunately, you're unlikely to get higher than the offers you're currently getting now. Resale will likely drop even further come October or thereabouts. If you really don't want it, just sell it for the highest offer and be done with it.

That's probably the best advice. Just off the thing and be done with it. No need to try and extract every nickel you can out of it. Ain't gonna happen anyways.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
That's probably the best advice. Just off the thing and be done with it. No need to try and extract every nickel you can out of it. Ain't gonna happen anyways.

I helped someone sell a used 32GB iPad 3 for $600 in 2012. We actually got a number of $600 offers. How come a brand new 64GB iPad Air can't even sell for $600?

maxtorboring

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2011
I helped someone sell a used 32GB iPad 3 for $600 in 2012. We actually got a number of $600 offers. How come a brand new 64GB iPad Air can't even sell for $600?

Market Saturation. I was looking to sell my RMini and get an Air but after looking at eBay & Craigslist, it seems I will be keeping it. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.