Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
So, this is a very simple question, we all had ambitions growing up.

I'm a car guy, and I've wanted to own some pretty cool cars I've had pinned up on my wall.

Myself, I came from a lower middle class family, put myself through college, worked for some good companies, then went out in my own business which is succesful.

For me, the moment I made it went when I bought my 2012 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible, I had bought classic cars and a few fun cars before hand, but this was my biggest purchase outside my property and home I had ever had.

There is a dealership near where I live that ONLY does high end cars regardless of brand, Vipers...Ferrari's....Corvettes...Lambos...Astons...Jags..TVRs ( used )....bunch of other crazy cars.... When I walked up to the dealership front door, it had all of the above logos on it ,and I thought " I'm from a poor family...I don't belong here ", as I eyed all the awesome cars in the lot, knowing I would be buying one of them.

Paid in cash for my 2012 Corvette, and as they were giving it the final detail and wash, I thought to myself

" I finally made something out of myself, no one in my family has ever bought something like this ", btw, I've given my family a TON of money before I bought a toy. A Ferrari 355 is next.

So for you, when did you think " I made something good of myself?"

As a car guy, the purchase of that car was it. When all my hard work, and good deeds I feel have paid off, and I love my car collection.

Also, this was not random, I donate tons to charity, local schools, scouts, soup kitchens, and the community parks, I decided at that point. It was time to buy something for me ;)

Last edited:

CosmoFox

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2014
I made it with not a single moment, but with a pattern of good decisions. yes, bad decisions are always sprinkled in, but you learn from them, and hope the good overwhelm the bad long term. I know I've been blessed and a good life, but I'm just realizing I 'made it'. Yes it helps to have a nice home, and more income than you know how to spend, but those are secondary.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Never came at any one specific moment for me. I guess several years ago one day I was thinking about my life and where I was in it. I think it might have been at that point in time that I realized what I had accomplished in my life. I had a great family, first and foremost, was in perfect health, terrific jobs, had pretty much every toy that I could want and was very happy with life.

Well I am only a few years away from retirement and could not ask for anything more. So you tell me, was that the moment when I realized it? But it did not come without hard work and sacrifice in the beginning.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I'm sure I will have many great moments on my life however (so far) I realised after bullying and no friends till I was 14 and at the time due to a lot of personal problems I was planning on committing suicide, my best friend(now) saved me from that and stayed up nights to talk to me.

I owe him a lot.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
When I signed the final paper to close on my house. I am by no means wealthy, I'm not even pulling in 6 figures, but I'm a step ahead of most other people my age.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I grew up around alcoholism and divorce due to alcoholism, and basically poverty after the divorce. Always kept up appearances, nobody knew. I was paying the mortgage and all utilities/insurance at 17 on $8/hr.

Put myself through school, mom died of cancer during college, and I graduated with degrees in chemical engineering and chemistry. Then said F this and moved abroad which is something I always wanted to do, having never been on an airplane til I was 20 and having never seen the world.

Did that and got married over there which I never expected.

Applied to graduate school for international affairs at Columbia and UC San Diego, go into UCSD and waitlisted at Columbia with only two years of work experience compared to an average of 4.5 for most applicants. Felt pretty good at this point. I remember having lunch before I applied with someone when I lived abroad who I barely knew and he had the audacity to say "Columbia isn't for people like us (you)." F that guy.

Turned down grad school due to cost, and took an engineering job here at home and brought the wife with.

Got promoted earlier this year which felt great. I remember my old college roommate who once insinuated that I wasn't smart enough for a chemical engineering degree. Yeah F that guy too.

Then on a cold night in February I walked into the Ford dealer and placed a special order for a no compromises 2014 Mustang GT, ordered exactly how I wanted, and 5.5 weeks later I was there to see it come off the truck and I thought, "THERE'S the payoff for everything...for paying the mortgage at 17, plowing through the hardest year of the ChemE program after losing my mom just three weeks into the schoolyear, for the time I spent 58 straight hours in the chemical engineering lounge working on a report only stopping for one meal, etc."

So have I made it? I don't know, but there have certainly been poignant moments along the way up until now.

Last edited:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Having my engineering degree, my masters, a great job, I still feel as if I am just fluking my way through life.

So no, I don't feel I have made it or have even discovered what I want in life. I say that realizing I am very fortunate but I feel as lost as I have ever felt.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I figure I won't really know I've made it until I am days away from retirement, tbh.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Having my engineering degree, my masters, a great job, I still feel as if I am just fluking my way through life.

So no, I don't feel I have made it or have even discovered what I want in life. I say that realizing I am very fortunate but I feel as lost as I have ever felt.
I think a lot of people feel this way. We have just mastered organized chaos. :)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
This last semester I finally found something I'd be happy to be doing for the rest of my life. I'm also really pleased with the response I'm getting from complete strangers. So yes, I've made it.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Sadly, even at 46, I can't say 'I've made it' yet.

I've got a wife of 14 years. Two great kids, but no job.

I'm in school right now (again :(...)

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I'll say "I made it" when I'm driving a new Porsche. Although I look forward to this story as I'm pretty sure it'll happen at a more exiting time. I'm also afraid it won't, but I've been putting a lot if effort into it.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I "made it" years before I realized that I "made it". One day, you realize that you are no longer struggling with things that you struggled with before. My realization came after a particularly rough year, when I decided my daughter and I needed to get away. I went online to book a Walt Disney World vacation and for the first time in my life, I really didn't worry about the cost. I just did it.

On January 8, 2011, I purchased a brand new Prius. The dealership was doing everything it could to sell me the car with financing. I told them that I wanted to make ONE payment. They wouldn't take a check for it and wouldn't take a debit card. One call and my bank sent them funds. It was a great feeling.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Last year when I landed a great job with my #2 dream company and was able to finally propose to my girlfriend.

Now, almost a year later, I've gotten a promotion already and am getting married in less than three weeks.

Feeling pretty thankful!

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Last year when I landed a great job with my #2 dream company and was able to finally propose to my girlfriend.

Now, almost a year later, I've gotten a promotion already and am getting married in less than three weeks.

Feeling pretty thankful!

I have to give you a salute for the planning. Worked though the steps and figured out that you needed to be a bit more secure before you were ready to settle down and start the family. Excellent work.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I don't feel like I've come close to "making it" yet...but going from bouncing between jobs, having zero in my retirement account, and a 450 credit score (yikes!)...to landing a great job that I've held for 2+ years now, getting my 401k over $10k, getting my credit score up above 700, and buying my first house (all on my own)...all of that, cluminating in the purchase of my house (which I never thought I'd be able to do) gave me a nice sense of "I made it". I still have a long way to go though.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I'll have made it when I make my last payment on this:
Oceanis-45-3.jpg

and live off my investments, while cruising around the world with my sexy lady.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Sadly, even at 46, I can't say 'I've made it' yet.

I've got a wife of 14 years. Two great kids, but no job.

I'm in school right now (again :(...)

I guess that depends on how one defines "made it." You've been married 14 years, produced two great kids, continue to educate yourself, and so long as you live an honorable life, I'd say you're doing pretty well. Things might not be easy right now, but they'll get better.

A meaningful life is so much more than an accumulation of toys and stuff.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I guess that depends on how one defines "made it." You've been married 14 years, produced two great kids, continue to educate yourself, and so long as you live an honorable life, I'd say you're doing pretty well. Things might not be easy right now, but they'll get better.

A meaningful life is so much more than an accumulation of toys and stuff.

Agreed. I've straightened my life out a whole hell of a lot, financially speaking...but I don't feel like I'll ever be able to say "I made it" until I have a significant other to share my life with. Things feel so much less fulfilling, almost pointless, when you're just going it alone and doing everything solely for yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.