Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

townsend2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Say I have an HDD with 10.6.8 and I put a Win7 bootcamp partition/install on it.

Then let's say I do a clean install of Mavericks on on an SSD, with a Time Machine migration.

Will the pre-existing bootcamp work, since it's on a different physical disk? :)

My Current configuration:
Early 2011 MBP
HDD in Original Bay.
SSD in Opti-bay.
(Currently) Single boot to 10.6.8

My Goal:
SSD in Optibay: Mavericks
HDD in Mainbay:
Keep 10.6.8
Keep Bootcamp Windows 7

I have another post on this, but I'm trying to separate the Mavericks install issues from the bootcamp issues.

Thanks for reading and for helpful suggestions.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Yes, provided the OS X installer does not touch the other drives MBR and Windows doesn't have a hissy fit that there is now another drive in the system.

If you are going to do this, it is very important you keep the HDD connected to its original SATA port or else you'll need to update Windows BCD (Boot Configuration Store).

townsend2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Ok - thanks for the tip on the BCD.

Quad5ny, can I ask one more thing,
Do you know if OSX has a similar proclivity to where it's originally installed?

Years ago, I cloned my HDD 10.6 install to my SSD, and it led to unusually long shutdown times, I could only solve it by doing a fresh install directly to the SSD. I assumed the problem was something similar to the hardware configuration of the original install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.