Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Im quite surprised how many users on here dont have speakers for the desktop setup. I find the sound from MBP to be average but definitely not good enough for a permanent desk setup.

Having a high end 2.1 setup is a must for me. Its painful listening to music out of laptop speakers.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Not full time. But they are great. I have a bluetooth speaker and I also use headphones. Apple ear buds for youtube videos and Beats by Dre for musc :D:D:D

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Since I use my MBP in clamshell mode, I have to use external speakers or headphones. It makes it easier since they are plugged into my CalDigit dock.

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
Speaker are good enough for a laptop. If I want to feel immersed for Music or Video, I plug in my ATH-M50x

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
I have a set of Bose speakers which are great for films and decent enough for music. That's in my office at work so I wouldn't want anything much bigger.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I use speakers for my listening enjoyment. The MBP's speaker is ok when traveling but when its on my desk I have something a bit more robust.

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
NO ! ..They sound awful ... but then "Audio" is my love and my job !!

I either use decent Sony headphones or Bose computer monitors on my desktop.

Just got a Bose soundlink Mini blue-tooth speaker and that is just amazing !!
( It's the best small speaker I have ever heard )

Perfect for travelling and NO cables :)

M.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Not all MBP speakers are equal.

The 2013 model ones are far superior to 2011 ones for example (in my humble estimation).

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
No laptop speaker is going to come close to a high end desktop speaker 2.1 setup.

The MBP speakers are what they are, if you want high end, invest in desktop speakers or in high quality headphones and a DAC.

And yes there will be plenty of people that like the sound coming out of the MBP speakers, but it depends who you are asking.

When I use my rMBP, it's via an asus essence one, into HD800, the difference is light and day. Though that is an overkill, you can get an awesome setup for less than 1/4 of that that will humble any 2.1 desktop setup, unless you are a huge basshead, and need to feel your room shacking. No matter what you do, just look at the MBP as the source, check out some USB dacs.

----------

Not full time. But they are great. I have a bluetooth speaker and I also use headphones. Apple ear buds for youtube videos and Beats by Dre for musc :D:D:D

If you ever get a chance listen to some other headphones in he same price range as the Dr Dre's , you will be amazed by what you hear, and have been missing out on! If music is an awesome bass experience for you , ignore my comment

----------

NO ! ..They sound awful ... but then "Audio" is my love and my job !!

I either use decent Sony headphones or Bose computer monitors on my desktop.

Just got a Bose soundlink Mini blue-tooth speaker and that is just amazing !!
( It's the best small speaker I have ever heard )

Perfect for travelling and NO cables :)

M.

Quick question. If you love music, why Bose?

Don't get me wrong, they are well made, great support, though expansive for the sound they produce. For the equivalent £££ spend , you can get better sounding gear, and in the reference quality gear, they are completely missing.

Not having a go at Bose here, I own Their desktop speakers and a number of headphones, which I use while either working out or flying, though they are miles away in sound quality to my mobile setup.

Though I will admit they do complement apple products very well.

Tomr182

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
I'm very impressed with mine to be honest

Using the 13" rMBP, the speakers are about 30 times better than my Late 2007 Macbook

Not much depth, but no room for any form of bass really in a laptop, so what do we expect? But much better clarity of sound and very good for a laptop, although it will never compare to a solid pair of headphones or proper desktop setup.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
I've got my 15" Pro connected to a home theater set when it's on the desk, but when what I'm doing mostly consists of writing text (like when writing code, an essay or replying to email) I sit on the couch with it on my lap and sound (I usually listen to music or watch narration heavy documentaries off youtube while working) coming trough the laptop's own speakers.

Considered getting an AppleTV just to stream audio to the speaker set when I'm on the couch, but didn't consider it worth the 100€ investment.

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
When I am at home I listen to music on my home Technics system.
When out and about and mobile I'm not going to lug speakers around with me so the internals will suffice.

Barney

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
The 3rd generation MBP speakers (rMBP) on the 15" is pretty good for casual listening. I'm guessing it's about the same on the 13", maybe not as good. Although for intense music listening definitely headphones or speakers.

If you ever get a chance listen to some other headphones in he same price range as the Dr Dre's , you will be amazed by what you hear, and have been missing out on! If music is an awesome bass experience for you , ignore my comment

Apparently from what I've heard of on youtube reviews, the new redesigned Studio 2.0 have been hugely improved in the clarity aspect such as instruments and vocals while not over-boosting the bass in the music as well. Tried it out in HMV and it definitely sounds better than the old studios. Not going to comment on the price aspect since it is pretty overpriced imo. However, I would say that people that buy beats will most likely be buying it for its design more than its sound quality.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Is the asus essence one a good DAC + Amp for the HD800? :confused:

No laptop speaker is going to come close to a high end desktop speaker 2.1 setup.

The MBP speakers are what they are, if you want high end, invest in desktop speakers or in high quality headphones and a DAC.

And yes there will be plenty of people that like the sound coming out of the MBP speakers, but it depends who you are asking.

When I use my rMBP, it's via an asus essence one, into HD800, the difference is light and day. Though that is an overkill, you can get an awesome setup for less than 1/4 of that that will humble any 2.1 desktop setup, unless you are a huge basshead, and need to feel your room shacking. No matter what you do, just look at the MBP as the source, check out some USB dacs.

----------

----------

Don't get me wrong, they are well made, great support, though expansive for the sound they produce. For the equivalent £££ spend , you can get better sounding gear, and in the reference quality gear, they are completely missing.

Not having a go at Bose here, I own Their desktop speakers and a number of headphones, which I use while either working out or flying, though they are miles away in sound quality to my mobile setup.

----------

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
They're great for what I use them for (conference calls, occasional videos of cats or russian dash cams)

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The 3rd generation MBP speakers (rMBP) on the 15" is pretty good for casual listening. I'm guessing it's about the same on the 13", maybe not as good. Although for intense music listening definitely headphones or speakers.

Apparently from what I've heard of on youtube reviews, the new redesigned Studio 2.0 have been hugely improved in the clarity aspect such as instruments and vocals while not over-boosting the bass in the music as well. Tried it out in HMV and it definitely sounds better than the old studios. Not going to comment on the price aspect since it is pretty overpriced imo. However, I would say that people that buy beats will most likely be buying it for its design more than its sound quality.

I completely agree, people do buy Dr Dre's for the looks and image. Just wish they were cheaper for what they are.

----------

Is the asus essence one a good DAC + Amp for the HD800? :confused:

----------

Well...... Finding a good amp for a HD800 is interesting to say the least ;)

The asus is an excellent Dac/amp for a computer , though you can get much better for the HD800. Though this is the HD800 we are talking here DAC and amps can set you back thousands..... Tubes work well, though that is off topic.

Though I recommend anyone who likes music to get a USB DAC, you will be surprised how much it will improve your audio quality.

----------

If you love your music .

Yiu might want to consider this

http://www.audiostream.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-v12-usb-digital-audio-converter

Internal sound cards on laptops are not great !

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London

Music is my "job" since 1986 !

Main cMP pro recording system I use an SSL X-Desk, RME FF800 interface and Adam A7x/Genelec
2029 & Sub speakers.

For mobile work and travelling with my MBP, I have some small Bose speakers.

The little Soundlink Mini's are amazing for a tiny battery powered system - go have
a listen .... the old "Bose are rubbish" days are long gone my friend !!

They also fit easily in a laptop bag.

M.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Music is my "job" since 1986 !

Main cMP pro recording system I use an SSL X-Desk, RME FF800 interface and Adam A7x/Genelec
2029 & Sub speakers.

For mobile work and travelling with my MBP, I have some small Bose speakers.

The little Soundlink Mini's are amazing for a tiny battery powered system - go have
a listen .... the old "Bose are rubbish" days are long gone my friend !!

They also fit easily in a laptop bag.

M.

I don't believe in the Bose are rubbish tune. Like I mentioned I have a number of Bose products. Just in the scheme of audio gear, they only go so far from my experience, but that is probably due to the highend gear I compare them to.

The soundlink mini you mention has some great reviews. Though not something I am interested in, as I have a mobile rig I use, I prefer headphones.

Anyway, glad you enjoy them.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I've heard you can add a Twelve South bass via USB to complement the sound system in the MacBook. Not sure how good it is though.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA

----------

----------

Yes, bass is everything to me! I first bought Bose which are the same price but I was like where's the bass?

I went with beats and OMG it's perfect for me.

I don't listen to classical guitar, so I need mega bass. For my kind of music, more bass = more amazing (dubstep music, house, electronic, hip hop, rock).

----------

Oh Dear.

The 15 inch speakers are just about useable in general but as soon as i'm at home, I plug into the reference monitors.

Why do people hate on beats? The bass is crazy good. I listen to dub step, house, and electronic. Also rap and rock. So I need bass! More = better :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.