Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marioaggie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Hello, i recently jumped on the apple wagon with my purchase of a brand new 13'' macbook pro retina 4/2.4/128 and it seems to be having two problems. These problems could be nothing as i have never owned a mac before, and could be normal, or that i haven't had a new computer(never apple) in a few years and my standards are just high. So the first problem, and most important, is that the computer seems to get really warm in just general use, and when the fan is on, hot air only comes out of the top(near keyboard) right vent! The second problem, is that in normal browsing, the battery is great! last about 9-10 hours easy! but as soon as i jump on youtube, and watch a HD video or two, the battery starts to go pretty quick, the battery will estimate 10 hours, then drop to 3 or 4, and if i keep watching, drops to like a hour to 30 min or so. Not just Youtube, but video in general(haven't tried netflix yet). help please? just got it and do not want to have to take this back.

Brightness is always around 4 less than max, and keyboard light is off most of the time.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Long story made short: your Mac is operating normally. For details, read on.

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.
The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
The bottom of your Mac notebook may become very warm during normal use. If your notebook is on your lap and gets uncomfortably warm, move it to a stable work surface that allows for good ventilation.
Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis), or 1200 for the newest MBAs. Older iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range, while the newest iMacs have a single fan, spinning at a minimum of about 1400 rpm. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all notebooks in the MacBook line (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). There are no vents through the keyboards of any Mac notebooks. The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:
There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Last edited:

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
the fans on the MBP have 1 intake and 1 exhaust so you will only notice air being pushed out on one side. You can download an app like iStat to keep track of your fan speeds and your comp temp. Sorry I am not sure of the normal temps for your model.

Doing things like watching vids and using flash will use tons of power. If you click the battery indicator it will tell you which programs are drawing significant power. I run my MBA usually on the lowest or next to lowest screen brightness. I notice a big drop if I move it up to just half brightness so I can imagine running it close to max will significantly decrease battery life.

Hope this helps some.

qawsed

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
Some things drain battery. Flash and netflix for example kill it, but not to the extent where is shows you have 1.5 hours remaining on a full charge.

As for getting hot and the fan running... well i have often had 15 tabs open including flash etc and a few more apps and I have never heard the fan or much heat. I have the 2.4Ghz/8GB ram model rMBP.

It sounds like there is something running that is really killing your computer. Open activity monitor and have a look at what's using all your CPU and energy. It doesn't sound quite right to me.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Congrats on your mac and welcome :)
Macs are advanced and do not seal heat in (where it damages the internals) like plastic windows-junk.
Try to watch netflix on any laptop an see how the battery performs ...

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Macs are advanced and do not seal heat in (where it damages the internals) like plastic windows-junk.

Might do better on a windows laptop since the Silverlight plugin that Netflix uses is a Microsoft product.

Something that helps with youtube and other streams is to uninstall Flash player. Many sites now can stream in alternative formats, but will default to Flash, which converts laptops into hot air blowers.

One possible setup is to use Safari as main browser (no flash!) and have Chrome as backup browser. Chrome has its own flash player (also power hungry), so you can watch those videos that Safari can't display.

Marioaggie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Hey guys thanks for all your replies and warm welcome. I am loving this computer so far! and i think it was chrome with flash that was draining my computer, which sucks cause i really do not care for safari. Haven't tried Firefox. When running safari and chrome side by side, watching the same youtube video at 1080p, and watching activity monitor, chrome was hitting as high as 150-200 with average at 66, while safari, never hit higher than like 70, with average of 18 including flash player. Not sure how good of a judgment this is.

So i decided to only use chrome when needed(chrome to phone, chrome cast, google hangouts, and some weird email stuff i couldn't do through safari, like save a "pages" document, and email to myself?)

Also, one last question that B3av3r eluted to, is the hot air only supposed to come out of the right side of the vent underneath the display? Because when the fan came on, hot air was rushing out of only the right side of the vent. it would make sense if there is only one fan that is off centered? which i think it is in this model. maybe the vent stretching across the entire back is for aesthetics only, and only the right side is functional?...The fan seemed to work really well by the way, cause a good amount of hot air came out and cooled the computer down fairly quickly.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Welcome to the world of Macs. I too am a recent convert. Bought my first Mac back in November and never looked back. I have Windows 7 installed for a few things like gaming but I really am in love with this laptop and the OS.
It's surprisingly easy to adapt, I actually found it a little boring as I had so little to configure and maintain. I could never go back.
There is a few little things that irk me, like when I go to shutdown it asks if I am sure:mad:. Aside from that and having to get used to Finder I love it and I'm really looking forward to 10.10. Hope you have as much fun as I do with your new Mac and don't be scared to ask questions, I had about a hundred when I first started.
I don't have a heat issue, it's only from flash or Netflix (silverlight). But hopefully that stuff all dies in the near future and we can start using only HTML5. Trust me Windows laptops suffer just as much from this, but they just drain the battery constantly anyway so you don't really notice it. If you avoid flash then you'll notice how great your battery life is!

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

Like plastic windows junk eh ...... Lol

Have a look at the thinness of a retina MacBook Pro, your fan can only be so efficient when it is limited in size.

I've used plenty of plastic junk windows laptop that handle heat a lot better than my advanced retina ;)

----------

I don't think you have anything to worry about. General rule with MacBook pros, they can get bloody hot, but are designed well.

As for batter life, anything flash based will eat through it. You should be more concerned that if under normal usage outside of flash videos your battery was dropping fast.

And if problems begin, you have the best support in the industry.

hirtaza

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2014
Toronto
The word junk fails to describe the junkyness of windows junk. :D

I absoloutely love the macbook pro retina's and everything but i dont get all the hate here on windows here the junk ur saying has nothing to do with windows or microsoft just the companies that are putting out ****** laptops that break easily/overheat or whatever the problem thats "junk" yes windows 8 is pretty **** compared to 7 and generally osx has surpassed windows interms of reliability, feautres, innovations but why the hate? Lol just saying

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.