Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymous4a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Hi, is there anyway to hide the menu bar on the desktop ? I'm running mavericks and would like to see my full background if possible..without the Dock or menubar ..is there a way to have the menu bar auto hide and show up when I move my mouse over the top ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi, is there anyway to hide the menu bar on the desktop ? I'm running mavericks and would like to see my full background if possible..without the Dock or menubar ..is there a way to have the menu bar auto hide and show up when I move my mouse over the top ?

The command Barney mentioned will hide the Dock, but not the menu bar. I am not aware of a way to hide the menu bar. There are some apps that can be run in full screen mode and they will cover the menu bar, but that does not sounds like what you are after.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
There is a way to do it and I'm successfully using it in Yosemite. It's called MenuAndDockless which requires something called "Simbl" to be installed. My menu "autohides" which recovers extra screen space and animates back in when I hold my mouse at the top of the screen. It's exactly what I've been looking for. You can set it to hide the menu on a per app basis although it seems older apps will not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.