Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drummer5645

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2014
Did a search and found dated info only. Considering a switch to ATV if it can be made to stop streaming when TV is shut down via sleep timer.

Today my Roku 3 off TV will continue to stream, even if TV is off, until the program or worse baseball game is over. You must manually go into program stop mode on the Roku. Sort of defeats the TV sleep timer benefits. To make matter worse the lovely cable company is now tracking and charging for monthly overages on their predetermined limited "limitless" internent content amounts.

Thanks for the help in advance

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
For this to work both devices must have HDMI CEC enabled and your TV must issue right commands. To my best knowledge ATV does not support HDMI CEC. However, from my own experience the HDMI CEC compatibility between devices is very flaky, especially if different manufacturers are involved.

Last edited:

drummer5645

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2014
Twintin

Thanks and you would think the limits being installed would put this capability at least in the ATV, Roku, etc in their future project lists. I guess a smart tv's apps would/could handle the sutdown if you used it instead of an "external" box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.