Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glennster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Canada
Like the title asks: what version of Windows would U put on a new MacBook Air? And why that version?

I need either one for work software that only runs on Windows.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I would go with windows 8 simple because I like the way it looks. I also like having the latest and greatest operating system.
I think it's mostly personal preference. I can't think of anything I can do in windows 8 that I can't do in windows 7. Yet again, I'm not a super power user.

ttycho

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2014
I would stick with Windows 7.
I think Windows 7 is as loved as Windows XP was, and Windows 8 is as hated as Windows Vista was. As a matter of fact.... online or in person, I have NEVER heard anybody (other than the one other response you got, lol) recommend Windows 8 over Windows 7. I'm pretty sure it's generally considered a frustrating hot mess.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
I personally have windows 8.1 on bootcamp on two computers, and I like it. It is really almost 100% personal preference. If you are currently a windows 7 user, you will probably want to stay with that. If you don't use windows very much, check out 8.1. I think it has a simpler UI, and is more similar to OSX. Backwards compatibility is typically pretty good, but they got rid of windows xp compatibility mode on windows 8 (you can still vm windows xp for free if you really need it). They are very similar functionally, but it can be a bit annoying upgrading from windows 7, based on what I have heard at least.

Either one will work, and I'm almost certain that every post here will be personal opinion. It is really up to you.

Edit: Also note, the 2013 Mac Pro only supports Windows 8. Any system that comes pre-installed with bootcamp 4.0 or above will be hard to install windows 7 on, if it is at all possible. I don't know if the new MBAs come with 4.0, just a fair warning if you are planning on buying a new MBA.

Best,
Matt

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Edit: Also note, the 2013 Mac Pro only supports Windows 8. Any system that comes pre-installed with bootcamp 4.0 or above will be hard to install windows 7 on, if it is at all possible. I don't know if the new MBAs come with 4.0, just a fair warning if you are planning on buying a new MBA.

Best,
Matt

Not sure where you got your info. First off, the current version of bootcamp is 5.x.x, and it still DOES allow you to install Windows 7, depending on the machine. Every mac model needs Windows drivers that make it work on the Windows side.

The problem with the new mac pro is that Apple decided to only write drivers for Windows 8.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I use Parallels for running Windows XP and 8. Unlike Bootcamp, Parallels is an emulation app that runs under OSX which makes it easy to switch between Windows and OSX apps and also to share the clipboard and drag/drop files.

I looked at the mixed advice about Windows 7 and 8 but the main factor in choosing 8 was the cost. 8 was much cheaper and readily available.

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
I highly recommend W8 in its current incarnation over 7. However it will be interesting to see what they do with w9 next year.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
I'm confused by the win 8 bashing. If you disable metro, it's virtually indistinguishable from win 7, and reputable reviewers report that win 8 actually manages memory and resources better than win 7. I researched the questions on PC forums and came to the conclusion that win 8 was generally recommended over win 7 and you should just use a start menu instead of metro.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Not sure where you got your info. First off, the current version of bootcamp is 5.x.x, and it still DOES allow you to install Windows 7, depending on the machine. Every mac model needs Windows drivers that make it work on the Windows side.

The problem with the new mac pro is that Apple decided to only write drivers for Windows 8.

Sorry, I was writing that late last night, and I am writing this pretty late as well. I just remembered reading a post on MR saying that the nMP only ran Windows 8 on Bootcamp. I don't remember where I got 4.0 from, but yeah it is 5.

This is the article I was referencing, and I wasn't sure if Windows 7 would work or not, just thought it was worth checking out.

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/03/17/mac-pro-drops-windows-7-support/

Edit: Oh, and here is the official Apple link. It says that the nMP only supports Windows 8 drivers. The 2014 MBA is not listed yet, so I just thought that maybe Apple was moving towards that trend. Like I said before, I don't know if Windows 7 would work on the nMP or the new MBA, just mentioning it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I'm confused by the win 8 bashing. If you disable metro, it's virtually indistinguishable from win 7, and reputable reviewers report that win 8 actually manages memory and resources better than win 7. I researched the questions on PC forums and came to the conclusion that win 8 was generally recommended over win 7 and you should just use a start menu instead of metro.

I agree. With the changes in Win 8.1 and the recently released update, there is no reason to go with Win 7. The ability to boot directly to desktop, and the ability to close Metro App from the new top bar make it much better.

If you want a real start menu, just install Classic Shell. Job done.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
I highly recommend W8 in its current incarnation over 7. However it will be interesting to see what they do with w9 next year.

Windows 8. Better then windows 7 and much much better than windows vista

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Does it matter if the Windows I use is 32 or 64 bit?

Huh? If you have a gas engine, use gas, if you a diesel engine use diesel, don't mix! What is your processor? 32 or 64 bit, answers your question.

----------

Since 8.1 as one can boot directly into desktop bypassing Metro, doesn't look like any difference by staying in 7. The only misgiving I have whether all that Metro stuff, even when unused, takes up lots of my precious SSD space.

watson10

macrumors member
May 7, 2010
Huh? If you have a gas engine, use gas, if you a diesel engine use diesel, don't mix! What is your processor? 32 or 64 bit, answers your question.

So it does matter? If I put diesel in the tank of a petrol car, it breaks the engine. My processor is 64 bit so if I use Windows 32 bit it won't run?

On a straight Windows machine a 64 bit processor will run either and not break (albeit not as sufficiently) is that the same when using Windows on a Mac?

Thanks.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
So it does matter? If I put diesel in the tank of a petrol car, it breaks the engine. My processor is 64 bit so if I use Windows 32 bit it won't run?

On a straight Windows machine a 64 bit processor will run either and not break (albeit not as sufficiently) is that the same when using Windows on a Mac?

Thanks.

If your mac has 4GB or more RAM, then you will want 64-bit. With 32-bit you won't see any more than 4GB (actually less than 4GB) in Windows.

Use 64-bit anyway, not many reasons to go with 32-bit nowadays.

As for disk space, I think an install of Win8 actually uses less space than Win7

linjac444

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2014
I have windows 8.1 running on an external. The only downside is updating is a bitch. Anyways, you're gonna put windows 8 on a mac why buy a mac, get a windows equivalent.

mdhwoods

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
With the latest updates to Windows 8.1 it is getting easier to stick with it. Prior to the updates I would say stick with windows 7. But now i believe windows 8.1 is a good choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.