Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I have a iPad2 that I'm thinking of upgrading to a new iPad Air. Will I notice much of any difference between the iPad2 and the Air for surfing the web, using iCloud apps and other day to day use?

Thanks.

AddisonIII

macrumors regular
May 8, 2013
Update to iPad Air

I myself don't have the iPad Air but I do have iPad 4, and can only say that the upgrade will do wonders down the road as more and more apps no longer support your iPad2. The iPad Air should do a bit quicker opening web pages since it has newer and faster components. I hope I was of some help. Good luck.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
The display alone makes it worth the upgrade. Is there somewhere you can go and try out an air? That's really the only way you will know if it's worth it to you.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
It's a major upgrade. I went from the 2 to the Air and it was a totally different experience. Loved my 2 but the Air has made me forget about it. Go for it! :D

twoehr

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
East Coast US
My wife has had an iPad 2 since it was released and I purchased an iPad Air this past fall (upgrading from an iPad mini). The two biggest improvements one would notice going from a "2" to an Air is the screen resolution and lower weight. After using an Air it would be difficult to use a "2" due to the lower resolution. I felt the iPad was too heavy to be an e-reader, hence why I had the mini, but now the Air with the Smart Cover is not much heavier than my Mini with it's cover (which was a very sturdy, hard cover.

If you can hold out until the "Air 2" comes out, you will probably get the Touch ID fingerprint reader. I mostly use the iPad at home, so I don't mind not having it, but if it went out of my house a lot, and hence at greater risk of loss or theft, I'd like to have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.