Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has donated $500,000 to SF Gives, an anti-poverty initiative formed by Salesforce.com CEO Marc Benioff and Tipping Point CEO Daniel Lurie, reports Fortune. Apple's contribution comes ahead of the SF Gives' Wednesday deadline, which looks to get 20 companies to contribute $500,000 each, or $10 million in total to fund charitable programs in the Bay Area.

sf_gives_tipping_point-800x346.jpg
The Cupertino, Calif.-based tech giant joins a list of 15 corporate contributors that includes Google, LinkedIn, and Zynga. Launched in early March, SF Gives is the brainchild of Salesforce.com (CRM) CEO Marc Benioff and Daniel Lurie, CEO of the nonprofit Tipping Point.
The donation also follows a number of charitable moves made directly by Apple in the past few years, including the establishment of a donation matching program for employees which generated $2.6 million in less than a year. Since 2006, Apple has also partnered with (Product) RED to contribute a total of $70 million towards HIV/AIDS programs in Africa. Through the collaboration, Apple has sold special (RED) products, including iPhone 5s cases, iPod nanos and shuffles, iPad Smart Covers, and iPhone Bumpers.

Article Link: Apple Donates $500,000 to 'SF Gives' Anti-Poverty Initiative

lipsum

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2014
Philanthropy

In terms of philanthropy Apple has a pathetic record. Bill Gates has given back to the community much more than anyone at Apple.

Last edited:

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
In terms of philanthropy Apple has a pathetic record. Bill Gates has given back to the community much more than anyone at Apple.

I think the more apt comparison would be the donations to charity Apple as has made as a company (Product RED, this, etc.) to the donations to charity Microsoft has made.

Hopefully, this move by the companies will help reduce the anti-Silicon Valley sentiment in San Francisco...

lipsum

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2014
Loyalty

Apple benefitted greatly from the unpaid contributions of legions of loyal supporters in the tech community and customers over the decades. $500,000 from multi-billion dollar company is pocket change.

Last edited:

lipsum

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2014
It would be like you buying a box of Girl Guide cookies and posting that on your Facebook page,

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
Apple benefitted greatly from the unpaid contributions of legions of loyal supporters in the tech community and customers over the decades. $500,000 from multi-billion dollar company is pocket change.

It's also nearly three times what Apple is being asked to pay Samsung for Samsung's patents (which were purchased solely for legal defense purposes). I wonder if Samsung breaks even on that deal?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Is this a marketing stunt? Or do Apple actually care? The questions everybody wants answering, but nobody can for sure.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Best anti-poverty program is a job. Certainly Apple is the position to hire lower skilled people. But the irony here is the higher than national avg cost of living in the Bay area is mostly due to it being world HQ for high tech and the huge salaries and wealth that accompanies it. This is like window dressing. $500K to Apple is like an ordinary person donating $2 at the cash register for whatever charity the store is trying to raise money for.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012

I'm sure that customers are beneficial to most businesses.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa

That makes it sound like apple should pay back customers.

----------

It would be like you buying a box of Girl Guide cookies and posting that on your Facebook page,

Proportionate to income, perhaps. But not proportionate to impact.
$500k clearly does more than a box of cookies.

----------

Will $500k eradicate poverty? No. Neither will $5bn. But it's good that major companies are willing to help (and of course it's good for them that they are seen being willing to help). If for no other reason, Apple donating this money makes the fundraiser news. I certainly wouldn't have heard of the initiative without Apple's involvement.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003

And you have the inside information to make such a statement?

Generally such programs do nothing to fight poverty because poverty is a state of mind and often directly related to being lazy. For Apple this amounts to throwing away good money.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
From the Steve Jobs book, I understood that Apple and Steve were not big donors. I think that under Cook that is changing. It is always hard to be a donor as a company since the shareholders want the money for themselves. I applaud any move to help the less fortunate. Given Apples wealth, they certainly can do more and I would encourage them to do so, but that does not detract from the gesture that is being made with this donation and the needed help it will bring to others.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Best anti-poverty program is a job. Certainly Apple is the position to hire lower skilled people. But the irony here is the higher than national avg cost of living in the Bay area is mostly due to it being world HQ for high tech and the huge salaries and wealth that accompanies it. This is like window dressing. $500K to Apple is like an ordinary person donating $2 at the cash register for whatever charity the store is trying to raise money for.

A lot of the problems came from the city of San Francisco itself. The lack of development for housing in the area. Something they should of learned during the DotCom era. They had some of the same problems then like they do now. Compounded by greedy landlords.

When people started to complain and protest they initially didn't target the tech companies but the housing situation directly. But it did not get much media attention in the past. So they went for the tech companies because it attracts media attention by a large margin.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
And what exactly does this charity do? There's a lot of big problems in the world and there aren't a lot of great solutions for them, or else those solutions would have been funded and our problems solved.

There are a lot of dumb ideas for how to solve problems with charities built around them that certainly shouldn't be funded.

So is SF Gives built around a great solution or an incredibly dumb one.

Here's an idea: evenly distribute the money across the poor people.

bitcoin-gone.jpg

lipsum

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2014
Giving back to a community that has made you super rich is the right thing to do.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Glad to see Apple participating. :) According to their annual report Jony Ive donated $100K last year.

----------

Is this a marketing stunt? Or do Apple actually care? The questions everybody wants answering, but nobody can for sure.

I'm sure the people benefiting from these companies donations don't care.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I know of this town in Indiana... it's called Mt Vernon. It could totally use 500k worth of donations.

Actually, if my hometown got 500k in donations, it'd easily double the town's budget for the next three or four years. (I jest, I jest)

omerbaker

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2009
Giving back to a community that has made you super rich is the right thing to do.

Apple is 'super rich' because the offered a product that people were willing to by for the price that was asked, which is itself a benefit to society. Giving money to a charity that gives some of the donated money to people in poverty is not something that impresses me. I'd rather a company not give to charity, and lower the price of their goods and I can donate more to the charities of my choice.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
And what exactly does this charity do? There's a lot of big problems in the world and there aren't a lot of great solutions for them, or else those solutions would have been funded and our problems solved.

There are a lot of dumb ideas for how to solve problems with charities built around them that certainly shouldn't be funded.

So is SF Gives built around a great solution or an incredibly dumb one.

Here's an idea: evenly distribute the money across the poor people.
Do you know what SF Gives does? I don't. In fact, I spent all of 5 minutes quickly looking to see if I could find out and I cannot. I may be able to if I invest more time, but I did find a link that suggests there are other charities that may have been better suited for half a mill.

http://scarver.hubpages.com/hub/The-best-anti-poverty-nonprofits-in-San-Francisco

SF needs this, without a doubt and they need much more than half a million. I'm not saying Apple should be the one to fix the poverty issue, of course. It is good to see Apple giving as I believe their track record has been lackluster in this area.

I'm not sure poverty-stricken people are at all part of the community that made Apple rich. It is great to "give back" but obviously the people in need aren't the people carrying around iOS devices and Mac PCs. ;) I simply believe that giving money to an organization that should be using every single dime to better the lives of those who live well below the poverty line, in my opinion, is not giving back to a community that made them rich.

Apple is 'super rich' because the offered a product that people were willing to by for the price that was asked, which is itself a benefit to society. Giving money to a charity that gives some of the donated money to people in poverty is not something that impresses me. I'd rather a company not give to charity, and lower the price of their goods and I can donate more to the charities of my choice.

But would you? Would everyone? And that charity should be using 100% of that money to benefit those in need.

I think Apple's Product(Red) is mildly pathetic. They offer a product in a color, they charge you a bit more, then they supposedly give the funds over to charity. I would rather choose another color and give the money to charity myself but I wouldn't ever think that Apple needs to lower prices to make it easier for me to buy crap that I likely don't need. In truth, and I assume you could be a great exception, but the savings we see isn't going to go anywhere but towards other stuff we probably don't need.

I think there was a thing on Amazon that asked if you wanted to donate money after you shopped to a charity of your choosing. I like that method a lot. Let me take whatever I saved and give it back right away. Or do what Whole Foods does, let me round my purchase up to the nearest dollar and that difference goes to charity. Short of annual donations in memory of loved ones passed, I like being able to take an extra dollar here and there and sink it into something worthwhile.

Last edited:

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
I don't think it's fair to downplay apples donations because they aren't up to your standard. Apple doesn't have to give ANYTHING.

How do we know apple isn't giving money left and right that we don't know about?

Apple is a for profit company with shareholders they need to keep happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.