Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Okay so my time machine isn't working right. When i check my internet drive (a 4TB drive thats on my LAN) It says: Last copied 28th April, and it tells my there was a problem copying over my files, and it also said "if it continues repair your disk through disk utility". So i did that and restarted my internet and everything, but i didn't work. And when i try to back it up to my other 4TB Hard drive (External) It just says that theres a problem and that it couldn't copy the files and that i should repair it. And disk utility and Disk Warrior gives me "There seems to be nothing wrong with drive name".

What do i do? I want to keep my files safe.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So you are using a 4TB for a Time Machine backup connected on the LAN in what way?

Backing up with Time Machine over a LAN will need a router or Mac that support the Apple Filing Protocol to work properly.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
So you are using a 4TB for a Time Machine backup connected on the LAN in what way?

Backing up with Time Machine over a LAN will need a router or Mac that support the Apple Filing Protocol to work properly.

But it has worked for me since 10.5 and Time Machine was first released, I'm using a Airport extreme router. It works with everyone of the computers my family has that runs 10.5-10.9

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
But it has worked for me since 10.5 and Time Machine was first released, I'm using a Airport extreme router. It works with everyone of the computers my family has that runs 10.5-10.9

If you are using one of the older pancake shaped Airport Extreme models, those do not support Time Machine backup to an attached USB drive. It works for a while for some people, then it just stops.

http://pondini.org/TM/Airport.html

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Its the newest model, and i backup to an external usb hd too. Neither the internet one or my external works.

Ah okay... so you have the new tower model... that should work fine with TM.

Let's back up then. So you have a 4TB drive you formatted to Mac OS Extended (?) and attached the AE and it was working then stopped?

You aren't trying to move the drive back and forth from the AE USB to the Mac's USB are you? TM uses a different format for those backups and you can't swap back and forth.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Ah okay... so you have the new tower model... that should work fine with TM.

Let's back up then. So you have a 4TB drive you formatted to Mac OS Extended (?) and attached the AE and it was working then stopped?

You aren't trying to move the drive back and forth from the AE USB to the Mac's USB are you? TM uses a different format for those backups and you can't swap back and forth.

Formatted Mac OS Extended, one thats always plugged in to my computer via usb and another one connected to my Airport Extreme, 2 different drives. Im not moving anything I'm just clicking "Backup now"

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Formatted Mac OS Extended, one thats always plugged in to my computer via usb and another one connected to my Airport Extreme, 2 different drives. Im not moving anything I'm just clicking "Backup now"

Okay... so you have Time Machine backing up to both at the same time (?) and it was working fine all along and now they both stopped working at the same time?

That is odd. Can you try reformatting one of them and see if that fixes it.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
It gives me this error, It's translated by me so it might not be exactly this in English: An error occurred when the files were copied. This may be a temporary error. If the problem persists, repair your backup disk with Disk Utility

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It gives me this error, It's translated by me so it might not be exactly this in English: An error occurred when the files were copied. This may be a temporary error. If the problem persists, repair your backup disk with Disk Utility

Are you getting that error when trying to backup to both of the drives? If you skip that error, does the next backup seem to work okay?

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Are you getting that error when trying to backup to both of the drives? If you skip that error, does the next backup seem to work okay?

I get that error on both of the drives. It just stops and gives me this error all the time and it has done that since April 28th.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Aaand now it's back. It stopped at literally 1MB from fully backing up my hard drive.
Thanks for your help :)

Open Console.app from Applications/Utilities and type "backup" in the search at the top then scroll down to the time this happened and see it TM is throwing an error message there that might help figure this out.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Open Console.app from Applications/Utilities and type "backup" in the search at the top then scroll down to the time this happened and see it TM is throwing an error message there that might help figure this out.

2014-05-06 20:31:09,798 com.apple.backupd[484]: Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: drive8

is the only error i can see

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Aaand now it's back. It stopped at literally 1MB from fully backing up my hard drive.
Thanks for your help :)

When you say it stopped... what did it do? Was there an error message or anything.

Is this to the USB drive and not the networked one?

2014-05-06 20:31:09,798 com.apple.backupd[484]: Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: drive8

is the only error i can see

It won't necessarily be an error message. There should be a whole string of message like this when a TM backup is run. I was hoping there might be one there when it stops that would help us.

Maybe open Console and type backup in filter box then watch it when you run a manual TM backup.

Code:
5/6/14 1:00:48.750 PM com.apple.backupd[8694]: Will copy (117.9 MB) from Macintosh HD
5/6/14 1:00:48.753 PM com.apple.backupd[8694]: Found 297 files (118.2 MB) needing backup
5/6/14 1:00:48.770 PM com.apple.backupd[8694]: 141.9 MB required (including padding), 1.93 TB available
5/6/14 1:00:48.771 PM com.apple.backupd[8694]: Waiting for index to be ready (100)
5/6/14 1:02:28.502 PM com.apple.backupd[8694]: Copied 461 items (118.9 MB) from volume Macintosh HD. Linked 1909.
5/6/14 1:02:45.274 PM com.apple.backupd[8694]: Will copy (1.1 MB) from Macintosh HD
5/6/14 1:02:45.275 PM com.apple.backupd[8694]: Found 108 files (1.1 MB) needing backup
5/6/14 1:02:45.275 PM com.apple.backupd[8694]: 491.7 MB required (including padding), 1.93 TB available
5/6/14 1:02:55.171 PM com.apple.backupd[8694]: Copied 136 items (1.1 MB) from volume Macintosh HD. Linked 1157.
5/6/14 1:03:02.196 PM com.apple.backupd[8694]: Created new backup: 2014-05-06-130301
5/6/14 1:03:10.209 PM com.apple.backupd[8694]: Starting post-backup thinning
5/6/14 1:03:10.209 PM com.apple.backupd[8694]: No post-backup thinning needed: no expired backups exist
5/6/14 1:03:10.303 PM com.apple.backupd[8694]: Backup completed successfully.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
When you say it stopped... what did it do? Was there an error message or anything.

Is this to the USB drive and not the networked one?

It won't necessarily be an error message. There should be a whole string of message like this when a TM backup is run. I was hoping there might be one there when it stops that would help us.

Maybe open Console and type backup in filter box then watch it when you run a manual TM backup.

I just realized this looks very messy
Oh and this is just preparing to backup.
This is to my network one.

Last edited:

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
I just looked back at some earlier ones from today, exact same preparing messages

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Oh and this is just preparing to backup.
This is to my network one.

Let's try a couple things.

Command-r boot to recovery and once there launch Disk Utility and run a repair disk on Macintosh HD. Does that report any errors?

Now quit Disk Util and while still in the recovery screen go to the Utilities menu and launch Terminal. Now type in resetpassword (all one word with no space) and enter.

AibMxg0.png

You will get this window. Select Macintosh HD at the top then select your user account in the drop down. Leave all three of the password fields blank (we don't want to change your password). Now click Reset in the lower right. When that is done go ahead and reboot to normal mode.

Now start Terminal and enter the text below to reindex Spotlight and wait for the reindex to finish. Once that is done, try TM again. TM uses the Spotlight index to track files and a reindex can help with this problem.

Code:
sudo mdutil -E /

----------

I just looked back at some earlier ones from today, exact same preparing messages

/Users/user2/Desktop/Collection Map/

Looks like the files in this folder are corrupt. Can you just trash that whole folder? Or you can go to Time Machine prefs and in the Options section add that folder to the exclude list then try again.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Let's try a couple things.

Command-r boot to recovery and once there launch Disk Utility and run a repair disk on Macintosh HD. Does that report any errors?

Now quit Disk Util and while still in the recovery screen go to the Utilities menu and launch Terminal. Now type in resetpassword (all one word with no space) and enter.

You will get this window. Select Macintosh HD at the top then select your user account in the drop down. Leave all three of the password fields blank (we don't want to change your password). Now click Reset in the lower right. When that is done go ahead and reboot to normal mode.

Now start Terminal and enter the text below to reindex Spotlight and wait for the reindex to finish. Once that is done, try TM again. TM uses the Spotlight index to track files and a reindex can help with this problem.

Code:
sudo mdutil -E /

----------

/Users/user2/Desktop/Collection Map/

Looks like the files in this folder are corrupt. Can you just trash that whole folder? Or you can go to Time Machine prefs and in the Options section add that folder to the exclude list then try again.

Nope :eek: it is 300GB large and i have documents, pictures, save games and things in it, its like 40% of my computer, but i could trash Collection Map/Skyrim/Morrowind. There where no errors from any other folder than morrowind. i have excluded it from backup and i will see how it goes.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Nope :eek: it is 300GB large and i have documents, pictures, save games and things in it, its like 40% of my computer, but i could trash Collection Map/Skyrim/Morrowind. There where no errors from any other folder than morrowind. i have excluded it from backup and i will see how it goes.

You should go through those steps I posted in post #23 anyway. I saw your earlier log had some error messages about permissions, and that should fix those errors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.