Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesumus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Im having a little problem with my Macbook Black.
every time i try to open a system preference panel i get the following message

'There is no default application specified to open the document Accounts.prefPane'

this happens even when i try to load other preference panels. I only bought the macbook last week from some one and i dont know what they have done or if there is any way to fix this issue.

thanks

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Hi,

Start with resetting the LaunchServices database.
Launch the Terminal.app in /Applications/Utilities/, copy & paste this one-liner into the window that pops up, hit the return key, and when you get a new prompt, quit the Terminal app and restart:

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Question : which OS are you running ?

jesumus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2014
I'm currently running Snow Leopard

----------

All i get back from Terminal after i hit enter is
'ThrottleProcessIO: throttling disk i/o' ??

jesumus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2014
yes, 10.6.8.
just did a restart and now when I search for preferences using Spotlight I just get a folder open up in a finder window...

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Try this (in an admin account) :

Code:
sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Type your admin password when prompted (won't display), then hit Enter, then reboot.

Just seen your last message : do you still have the "System Preferences" app in your Applications folder ?

jesumus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2014
did as instructed and still the same.
And no, its no there. If i do a clean install with a Snow Leopard disk will this resolve the issue?

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Yes of course a clean install of SL will solve the problem.

However, you'll need to :

- backup all your data (Time Machine, clone)
- erase your Macintosh HD partition
- install SL
- upgrade to 10.6.8 via the Combo update
- run Software Update for security updates
- migrate all your stuff

This is a lot of work...

You can also re-install the system without wiping out the disk and without losing your data, apps, settings.

Before you do this :

- have you any idea of what created the problem ?

- do you have a Time Machine backup ? If yes, restore System Preferences.app from it.
- or try using this one (from my SL 10.6.8) :
https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/4710cf4af270896edcb74509b4471b8420140506163201/09f77a

Unzip the download and place it in your Applications folder.

jesumus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Thnaks for the download link, all working fine now.

Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.