Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 6, 2014, 11:38 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Maps for iOS Gains Uber Integration, Lane Guidance, Improved Offline Maps

Google is updating its Google Maps app today, boosting the app's turn-by-turn direction capabilities. Google Maps will now show drivers which lane to use through its new lane guidance feature and it's also easier to access alternate routes while navigating.

While Google Maps has always supported the storage of maps for use offline, there's now a specific "save maps to use offline" option within the app, making it easier to keep track of saved routes. The app has gained new filters to let users browse restaurant and venue selections based on hours, ratings, price, and more, and specific points of interest can be saved to the app.

Quote:
Don't worry if you're not online. Before setting off on your next vacation, hike, or roadtrip, search for an area and tap on its place info sheet, then when available, you can select "Save map to use offline," and give your map a custom name, like "Toronto Vacation." To find your offline maps, sign-in, tap the profile icon next to the search box in the top right corner, and scroll to see "Toronto Vacation" and other saved maps.
In select cities, Google Maps will integrate with Uber, letting users compare an Uber ride option with transit and walking directions to determine the faster travel option. Google's newest update is rolling out to users today and should be available on the iPhone and the iPad shortly.

Google Maps can be downloaded for free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Maps for iOS Gains Uber Integration, Lane Guidance, Improved Offline Maps
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 11:42 AM   #2
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

Who would vacation in Toronto?
Old May 6, 2014, 11:42 AM   #3
misterpip
macrumors newbie

I will use whatever map app that gets me there quicker, more accurately and safer.
misterpip is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Skika
macrumors 68020

Saving maps for offline guidance is something that needs to be in Apple maps. Its really a neat feature
Old May 6, 2014, 11:44 AM   #5
scott523
macrumors 6502a

I've been avoiding Google Maps for turn by turn but this... This might make me change my mind.

PS: Please lose the "Uber." It sounds childish.

Edit: It seems Uber does exist...

Last edited by scott523; May 6, 2014 at 11:53 AM.
scott523 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 11:44 AM   #6
hounslowfish
macrumors member

Distance scale!! Woohoo!!
hounslowfish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 11:45 AM   #7
outphase
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott523 View Post
I've been avoiding Google Maps for turn by turn but this... This might make me change my mind.

I'm sure Google will disable the feature and Uber will change its company name because you don't like it.
outphase is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 11:46 AM   #8
Puonti
macrumors regular

Quote:

Have you let the company know how you feel about it?
Puonti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 11:49 AM   #9
cdmoore74
macrumors 65816

Funny, the previous article talks about Apple suing Google yet we have an article about Google updating Maps for iOS. I bet the next article will be about the use of Samsung components in iPhone 6. People want to hate the competition but they still use their resources. That's like a vegetarian that kills animals for sport.
cdmoore74 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 11:52 AM   #10
scott523
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puonti View Post
Have you let the company know how you feel about it?
Wow Uber actually exists... That I can't possibly comment.
scott523 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 11:53 AM   #11
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

With Apple reportedly pulling iOS engineers to help with OS X, it looks like Apple Maps will fall further behind. I sure hope Apple has something great up their sleeves.
BornAgainApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 11:57 AM   #12
RedRaven571
macrumors 6502a

Just checked app store, no update appeared....
Old May 6, 2014, 11:59 AM   #13
rageguy
macrumors member

Awesome. I love Uber, used it all the time when I was in Seattle.
rageguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 12:01 PM   #14
BMcCoy
macrumors 6502

Excellent. More control over offline map storage has been my no.1 wish since I got an iPhone.
BMcCoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 12:02 PM   #15
seamer
macrumors 6502

Needs to integrate Waze.
seamer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 12:03 PM   #16
goobot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
Funny, the previous article talks about Apple suing Google yet we have an article about Google updating Maps for iOS. I bet the next article will be about the use of Samsung components in iPhone 6. People want to hate the competition but they still use their resources. That's like a vegetarian that kills animals for sport.
You do realize they make money off it and it isn't for charity right?
goobot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 12:05 PM   #17
GeneralChang
macrumors 6502

Quote:
As long as they dont eat the animal Id hardly call it hypocritical. Maybe a little ethically confusing, but maybe they really like hunting and are only vegetarian due to cholesterol, or something like that.
GeneralChang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 12:08 PM   #18
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Wow Uber actually exists... That I can't possibly comment.
It is actually a very nice app for when you need a taxi.
Old May 6, 2014, 12:14 PM   #19
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Lane guidance is something I've been wanting for a while. I'll give Google another shot next time I need a map.

I see no reason to hate Google for maps. They're competing with Apple and so in the end the people who win are you and I, the consumers that end up having better apps to use regardless of which app we happen to prefer.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 12:15 PM   #20
flyingember
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamer View Post
Needs to integrate Waze.
they have, just not for data entry.

I drove by an accident today that showed up as coming from Waze
flyingember is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 12:22 PM   #21
dyt1983
macrumors newbie

So much for lane guidance... if you want to get to the Bay Bridge and you're unfamiliar with the area enough to be using lane guidance, from that point you should be in lane #2, because lane #3 is exit-only at 4th Street. Changing lanes in the curves makes it more difficult for unfamiliar drivers. Unless they're trying to turn you into a last-second solid-line-crosser.

Then again, I've seen how some Google self-driving cars actually drive and maybe the Maps app is programmed with bad habits similar to those the cars exhibit.
dyt1983 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 12:24 PM   #22
kuwxman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamer View Post
Needs to integrate Waze.
It already is to some degree, at least in the Android version.
kuwxman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 12:26 PM   #23
iPhone7s
macrumors member

Still no offline maps for Spain. Would be very handy for saving on data costs when I go to Barcelona on holidays.
iPhone7s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 12:30 PM   #24
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

Man, I've been trying to stick with Apple Maps, but Google keeps widening the distance between the two. If Google Maps would add Night Mode, I'd leave Apple's product altogether.
rwilliams is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 12:52 PM   #25
marvin4653
macrumors regular

Quote:
Who are these "people"? Macrumors reported two separate and independent news stories. Apple is the party suing to enforce its patent rights, but suing to enforce patent rights does not equal hating the alleged infringer.
marvin4653 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion