Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markwinstanley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2014
San Diego
I am thinking to switch to i os from android so i thought it was best place for my question coz lot of apple user here.share your views about it .i need to know about all cons and pros about it

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I am thinking to switch to i os from android so i thought it was best place for my question coz lot of apple user here.share your views about it .i need to know about all cons and pros about it

You'd probably get more attention had you posted this in the iPhone section. But, pros are definitely its looks, the simplicity of the software and of course, the TouchID. Also, I have a huge music library and investment in the iTunes Store, so the iPhone is pretty much it for me since it's seamlessly connected through iTunes. As far as cons, probably that it's not that customizable unless you jailbreak.u

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The iPhone was the first to really change the cell phone market with a large display, apps and a fully functioning OS that allowed you to do so much.

With Android and WP8.1 the competition has caught up, and at this stage a smart phone is a tool to me, and so I don't view the iPhone something special as much as a tool to help me get my job done.

Putting on my moderator hat:
Thread moved to the correct forum.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
You'd probably get more attention had you posted this in the iPhone section. But, pros are definitely its looks, the simplicity of the software and of course, the TouchID. Also, I have a huge music library and investment in the iTunes Store, so the iPhone is pretty much it for me since it's seamlessly connected through iTunes. As far as cons, probably that it's not that customizable unless you jailbreak.u

Besides Touch wiz. I think Android on my Nexus 4 is super simple.

applefan97

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
Hyderabad,AP,India
The main advantage of iOS over Android are the Apps.
If you’ve got an iPhone, you can pretty much assume that any major app that wouldn’t be nixed by Apple’s App Store policies will be available to you, and that you’ll get future updates at least as early as anyone else.
If you’ve got an Android phone, you’ll get most major apps. But there are exceptions. And even when an app or update comes your way, you might need to wait for weeks or months after the iOS version is available. You will, however, have access to numerous neat apps in categories that are taboo on iOS, such as replacement home screens and alternative keyboards.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
For me it's because it syncs with my other Apple devices automatically, AirPlay, app store (15% off iTunes cards is not uncommon) also no CC needed on an iTunes account.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
The main advantage of iOS over Android are the Apps.
If you’ve got an iPhone, you can pretty much assume that any major app that wouldn’t be nixed by Apple’s App Store policies will be available to you, and that you’ll get future updates at least as early as anyone else.
If you’ve got an Android phone, you’ll get most major apps. But there are exceptions. And even when an app or update comes your way, you might need to wait for weeks or months after the iOS version is available. You will, however, have access to numerous neat apps in categories that are taboo on iOS, such as replacement home screens and alternative keyboards.

The big apps thing is pretty much going away now.

GetAProgrammer

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2014
I think you should go for android. It has so many advantages over iOS.
Android:
  1. It has a lot of Customizability. It can change almost anything.
  2. It has Widgets.
  3. It has an Open source model.
  4. It is available on many phones and tablets, including Kindle Fire(modified android), LG, HTC, Samsung, Sony, Motorola, Nexus, and others.
  5. Market share:81% of smartphones, 3.7% of tablets in North America (as of Jan'13) and 44.4% of tablets in Japan (as of Jan'13). In the United States in Q1 2013 - 52.3% phones, 47.7% tablets.

and so many advantages are available in android.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Other than the supposed 'iconic' design of the hardware and software, there is very little that is special about iPhones nowadays. Android, Windows Phone and BBOS has easily caught up with iOS in terms of features and stability.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The advantage for me and only reason I stay with the iPhone is Apples ecosystem (see sig). That applies to my devices and friends and families devices who the majority use iOS devices.

I'm come to rely on the ease of syncing between devices as most services just do it (notes, reminders, contacts, etc). And the ease of transition between devices, for example the contact, notes, reminders apps on iOS and OSX.

AirPlay is important to me too.

I don't have a problem with Android though. I enjoy all tech.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.

IMO, the decision to switch from Android to iOS is simpler than doing it the other way around. There is only one phone to go to.

Having said that, the question you have to ask is what would an iphone give you that you aren't getting from Android flagship phones. With kit kat out, Android is just as stable, smooth and fast as iOS 7 and it has been greatly simplified. You do have a slight app availability advantage with iOS but it's very small.

For me, I like my 5S because me and my family are entrenched in the iOS ecosystem. I love the design and I love TouchID. The camera is fantastic. I love the way iCloud backs up my phone every 24 hours (I don't think google play backs up the whole device...could be wrong).

For the most part, it does everything I need and want. The only thing lacking is better handling of documents (why I still can't save a document to a repository and email it is beyond me).

If you're on android, these might not be compelling reasons to switch. In fact, if you're used to the customizablity/freedom of use of android phones iOS may very well irritate you. Or you may love the way iOS is structured and gives you nothing to think or worry about.

It's all personal preference. Good luck.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Android:
  2. It has Widgets.
  4. It is available on many phones and tablets, including Kindle Fire(modified android), LG, HTC, Samsung, Sony, Motorola, Nexus, and others.
  5. Market share:81% of smartphones, 3.7% of tablets in North America (as of Jan'13) and 44.4% of tablets in Japan (as of Jan'13). In the United States in Q1 2013 - 52.3% phones, 47.7% tablets.

None of those are really an advantage IMO. Different strokes for different folks.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If you have an iPad and a Mac it's logical to own an iPhone over the other offerings.
But to me as others have said it's all about the content. Having purchased music and apps from apple I don't really want to switch to anything else. Plus I like the iPhone interface and styling.
The only downside for me is the memory is not expandable. You pay a big premium for the bigger phone memory.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's not about whether "X is special". It's about whether X suits your specific needs/wants. You need to make that determination. No one device is best suited to everyone.
Bingo, that's realistically the only thing it all comes down to.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Android:
  2. It has Widgets.

I think there are a lot of good reasons someone would choose an Android phone over an iPhone however everything you are listing isn't very compelling.

And did one of your bullet points point out how its available from many manufactures then the next compare market share? So LG, HTC, Samsung, Sony, Motorola, Nexus etc etc have a slightly larger market share then a single company, Apple? Thats not a very good thing to point out if you are rooting on specific companies.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Seems nobody mention this, but the benefit of iphone is the ecosystem, software updates, and icloud.

Nowadays phone spec or operating system is the thing of the past, what you choose is the platform. And since I owned lot of apple products from macbook to ipad, icloud really help syncing my data from one device to the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.