Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 7, 2014, 06:29 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

TSMC Provides First Batch of Fingerprint Sensors for iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, and iPad Mini 3

Apple supplier Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) has reportedly provided the first batch of Touch ID fingerprint sensors to be used in the iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3, according to a new report from component information website cecb2b.com citing supply chain sources (Google Translate, via GforGames).

In addition to production at TSMC, the report notes that the fingerprint sensors are being assembled by TSMC subsidiaries Xintec and Suzhou Crystal Semiconductor. A report in January noted that TSMC would begin production on the sensors sometime in the second quarter of this year with a new 12-inch fab processing method, however a report in February stated that TSMC would be using the same 8-inch fingerprint sensor processing method that was used for the iPhone 5s.

The inclusion of Touch ID on the next-generation iPad Air and Retina iPad Mini would also fall in line with predictions from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who noted that both devices would gain the feature alongside processor upgrades and various other improvements.

Apple's head start on Touch ID fingerprint sensor production will likely help the launch supplies of all three devices. The component was said to be a key factor contributing to the limited supplies of the iPhone 5s at its launch last September, with low yield rates at Xintec and iOS 7-sensor integration slowing production.

Article Link: TSMC Provides First Batch of Fingerprint Sensors for iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, and iPad Mini 3
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 06:32 AM   #2
ChrisTX
macrumors 68030

All of these iPhone rumors are exciting. Bring it!
Old May 7, 2014, 06:32 AM   #3
maflynn

I'm still not seeing the value of a fingerprint sensor on an iPad.
Old May 7, 2014, 06:32 AM   #4
jkkool
macrumors member

I skipped iPad Air this year for TouchID if Apple will give iPad air touch ID this year then ill be spending a lot on Unlocked iPhone 6 and 64 GB iPad Air 2.
Old May 7, 2014, 06:33 AM   #5
dalbng
macrumors newbie

I don't get all these sites claiming this Ming-Chi Kuo is "very reliable". He makes the most obvious predictions, what do you expect? "All iPads and iPhones from now on will have Touch ID". You don't say?

Edit: He also said that the 5.5" 64GB variant is the only one that will have a sapphire display. Well, I predict that a) There won't be a 5.5" variant; b) Apple won't include a sapphire display on a specific variant while leaving the other models with "regular" glass, making the whole iPhone line fragmented. Let's see which one of us gets this right.
dalbng is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 06:40 AM   #6
dasx
macrumors 65816

And we're still in May... Where's the emoticon of a guy shooting himself in the head?
dasx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 06:42 AM   #7
Steve121178
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Look a little harder?
Old May 7, 2014, 06:47 AM   #8
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Only when I buy things at the App Store will this be a convenience. Otherwise, I don't even keep a lock code on my iPad.
Old May 7, 2014, 06:52 AM   #9
hydr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Im seeing lots of value in a fast reliable fingerprint sensor in iMacs, Macbooks, iPads, iPhones and iPods.
hydr is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 06:52 AM   #10
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Multiplie user logins in iOS 8 would be a good starting point.
Jsameds is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 06:56 AM   #11
smallscratch
macrumors newbie

multiple user accounts in iOS 8?

Imagine multiple user accounts in iOS 8 ... then the ipad fingerprint sensor would make perfect sense for me
smallscratch is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 07:04 AM   #12
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Perhaps I'm the minority and my faith is misplaced, but I use the iCloud Keychain extensively on my iPad. Which means Touch ID is essential for me. Yes, I could still use Keychain without a passcode, but I'm not taking any chances.
BornAgainApple is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 07:04 AM   #13
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

This iPad mini 3 rumor must be true. Simple because when I brought the first retina iPad 3 in just 6 month later Apple released the iPad 4. Now I got my retina mini few weeks ago just in 6month time to get replaced with mini 3. Ahh.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 07:05 AM   #14
richwoodrocket
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
Multiplie user logins in iOS 8 would be a good starting point.

Ain't gonna happen.
Old May 7, 2014, 07:13 AM   #15
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
I am. I really wished the first iPad Air had gotten it. But that's ok. Can't wait to sell my iPad Air for iPad Air 2 with Touch ID this fall

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post
Im seeing lots of value in a fast reliable fingerprint sensor in iMacs, Macbooks, iPads, iPhones and iPods.
So do I. I'd like to see an updated Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad with a Touch ID sensor.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwoodrocket View Post
Ain't gonna happen.
Agreed.
Old May 7, 2014, 07:23 AM   #16
thedeejay
macrumors 65816

Hi.

I'd like to order a 16 Wifi + LTE iPad Air 2 plus an iPhone 6 with 32GB. Please let me know when you want my credit card info.

Much appreciated.
thedeejay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 07:31 AM   #17
ka-spot
macrumors 6502

terrific.

I own iPhone 5S since November and still haven't test the famous Fingerprint functionality
Old May 7, 2014, 07:31 AM   #18
samcraig
macrumors G5

Or all these fingerprint scanners are for the iPhone. I'm unclear based on the article that I read where there's any proof that the fabrications are for different devices. Speculation only. Of course it makes sense that it would appear in the iPad - I just don't see any "proof" here.
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 07:35 AM   #19
1Zach1
macrumors 6502a

How would they know they are going to the 6/iPads vs the 5s?
Old May 7, 2014, 07:37 AM   #20
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Mobile payments. Apple will open this up to 3rd parties with iOS 8.
Old May 7, 2014, 07:39 AM   #21
pjh
macrumors member

I'm amazed that some people don't passcode protect their ipad, the amount of personal information on there is astonishing:

1) e-mail account access
2) websites with stored password in safari (combine this with email access and you could easily get locked out of some services)
3) document scans - I travel a lot so I scan important documents
4) contact info

and so on.

I admit that the chances of serious finacial damage from access to most of the data is small, but the potential for mischief and a significant invasion of privacy is immense.

I never used to think about entering my code, but sinse getting an iphone 5s, I sigh everytime I have to (yes I know this is a first world problem ). In my case, the lask of touch ID on the ipad air has stopped me upgrading. I would be very surprised and disapointed if Apple did not roll it out to the ipad range.
pjh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 07:40 AM   #22
RichTF
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-spot View Post
I own iPhone 5S since November and still haven't test the famous Fingerprint functionality
Erm, okay. Why not? I use it all the time, works great.
RichTF is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 07:41 AM   #23
LV426
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-spot View Post
You should lock your phone, unless you don't give a damn about someone getting their hands on your personal data.

If you have a TouchID sensor, you should use it. You can quickly get into your locked phone, and nobody can snoop over your shoulder to see your passcode being entered.

And if you buy stuff from iTunes, you won't have to tediously enter your Apple ID password. Just use your fingerprint.
LV426 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 07:42 AM   #24
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Zach1 View Post
How would they know they are going to the 6/iPads vs the 5s?
A screen was leaked last year that fit a touch ID sensor
osofast240sx is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 07:44 AM   #25
Keniutek
macrumors regular

The bazels (iPhone) are here to stay
Keniutek is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion