Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple supplier Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) has reportedly provided the first batch of Touch ID fingerprint sensors to be used in the iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3, according to a new report from component information website cecb2b.com citing supply chain sources (Google Translate, via GforGames).

touchid.jpg

In addition to production at TSMC, the report notes that the fingerprint sensors are being assembled by TSMC subsidiaries Xintec and Suzhou Crystal Semiconductor. A report in January noted that TSMC would begin production on the sensors sometime in the second quarter of this year with a new 12-inch fab processing method, however a report in February stated that TSMC would be using the same 8-inch fingerprint sensor processing method that was used for the iPhone 5s.

The inclusion of Touch ID on the next-generation iPad Air and Retina iPad Mini would also fall in line with predictions from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who noted that both devices would gain the feature alongside processor upgrades and various other improvements.

Apple's head start on Touch ID fingerprint sensor production will likely help the launch supplies of all three devices. The component was said to be a key factor contributing to the limited supplies of the iPhone 5s at its launch last September, with low yield rates at Xintec and iOS 7-sensor integration slowing production.

Article Link: TSMC Provides First Batch of Fingerprint Sensors for iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, and iPad Mini 3

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm still not seeing the value of a fingerprint sensor on an iPad.

jkkool

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2010
I skipped iPad Air this year for TouchID if Apple will give iPad air touch ID this year then ill be spending a lot on Unlocked iPhone 6 and 64 GB iPad Air 2.:cool:

dalbng

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
I don't get all these sites claiming this Ming-Chi Kuo is "very reliable". He makes the most obvious predictions, what do you expect? "All iPads and iPhones from now on will have Touch ID". You don't say?

Edit: He also said that the 5.5" 64GB variant is the only one that will have a sapphire display. Well, I predict that a) There won't be a 5.5" variant; b) Apple won't include a sapphire display on a specific variant while leaving the other models with "regular" glass, making the whole iPhone line fragmented. Let's see which one of us gets this right.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

Only when I buy things at the App Store will this be a convenience. Otherwise, I don't even keep a lock code on my iPad.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts

Perhaps I'm the minority and my faith is misplaced, but I use the iCloud Keychain extensively on my iPad. Which means Touch ID is essential for me. Yes, I could still use Keychain without a passcode, but I'm not taking any chances.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
This iPad mini 3 rumor must be true. Simple because when I brought the first retina iPad 3 in just 6 month later Apple released the iPad 4. Now I got my retina mini few weeks ago just in 6month time to get replaced with mini 3. Ahh.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

I am. I really wished the first iPad Air had gotten it. But that's ok. Can't wait to sell my iPad Air for iPad Air 2 with Touch ID this fall :D

----------

I´m seeing lots of value in a fast reliable fingerprint sensor in iMacs, Macbooks, iPads, iPhones and iPods.

So do I. I'd like to see an updated Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad with a Touch ID sensor.

----------

Ain't gonna happen.

Agreed.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Hi.

I'd like to order a 16 Wifi + LTE iPad Air 2 plus an iPhone 6 with 32GB. Please let me know when you want my credit card info.

Much appreciated.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Or all these fingerprint scanners are for the iPhone. I'm unclear based on the article that I read where there's any proof that the fabrications are for different devices. Speculation only. Of course it makes sense that it would appear in the iPad - I just don't see any "proof" here.

pjh

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Airstrip 1
I'm amazed that some people don't passcode protect their ipad, the amount of personal information on there is astonishing:

1) e-mail account access
2) websites with stored password in safari (combine this with email access and you could easily get locked out of some services)
3) document scans - I travel a lot so I scan important documents
4) contact info

and so on.

I admit that the chances of serious finacial damage from access to most of the data is small, but the potential for mischief and a significant invasion of privacy is immense.

I never used to think about entering my code, but sinse getting an iphone 5s, I sigh everytime I have to (yes I know this is a first world problem :) ). In my case, the lask of touch ID on the ipad air has stopped me upgrading. I would be very surprised and disapointed if Apple did not roll it out to the ipad range.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I own iPhone 5S since November and still haven't test the famous Fingerprint functionality ;)

You should lock your phone, unless you don't give a damn about someone getting their hands on your personal data.

If you have a TouchID sensor, you should use it. You can quickly get into your locked phone, and nobody can snoop over your shoulder to see your passcode being entered.

And if you buy stuff from iTunes, you won't have to tediously enter your Apple ID password. Just use your fingerprint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.