Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jan 14, 2006, 07:49 AM   #1
henryaj
macrumors newbie

Bluetooth clicker for presentations?

Hi all.

I was wondering if any of you knew of a nice Bluetooth clicker/remote-control for giving presentations? (Obviously, the pinnacle of clicker perfection would be the one Steve Jobs uses for his keynotes, but apparently these are custom-built for him.) If I had a Bluetooth phone I'd use that with Salling Clicker, but unfortunately I don't have one. The only clickers I can find are Keyspan's RF clickers which all use a USB dongle, which is fine, I'd just prefer to make use of my PowerBook's built-in BT.

Any suggestions?
henryaj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 09:36 AM   #2
mcmadhatter
macrumors 6502

it's not an elegent solution (nor bluettoth unless you have an apple wireless mouse) but what about getting a small laptop/child sized wireless mouse? I have seen RF ones with mouseballs not optical - you could take the ball out so that you don't wiggle it and use the buttons to click forward and backward on the presentation?

alternatively by a 2nd hand bluetooth phone on ebay.
mcmadhatter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 02:51 PM   #3
stevep
macrumors 6502a

Yep, go for a BT mouse. They have a range of 30' and work well with PowerPoint or Keynote presentations. I'm not sure about the Keyspan clicker you mention but some non-BT wireless products have a very limited range.
stevep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 03:14 PM   #4
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

You might check on eBay for older bluetooth phones, such as the Sony-Erickson 600 series. They'll be pretty cheap. Salling Clicker will work even if the phone isn't active (which isn't such a bad idea -- my phone rang during a presentation once!). Also, I prefer Romeo to Salling Clicker. It does the same thing and is free.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 03:57 PM   #5
Counterfit
macrumors 601

I second a a used SonyEricsson. You could probably get a T68i pretty cheap (or free with a plan). I prefer Salling Clicker over Romeo, simply because it does so much more, but if you're on a tight budget, Romeo will work.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 05:04 PM   #6
iEdd
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to iEdd
Is there anything similar to salling clicker that will work with my motorola V620? According to the Compatibility list, it doesn't work.
iEdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 05:33 PM   #7
hookahco
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to hookahco
my sonyericsson s710 comes with 2 saling clicker and media controller apps that come with the phone ad theyre compatible with my mac.. very nice apps. you should look into it.
hookahco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:18 AM   #8
henryaj
macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help guys! Looks like a T68i is a pretty good idea, and damn cheap too - the way I remember it, it was one of the first phones to be supported via Bluetooth on OS X, and it was always used in little icons like those in iSync etc. - so truly an iconic phone! Anyway, at the prices they're going at on eBay I can afford to get one just as a remote to use with Salling Clicker. According to the Salling Clicker website the T68i doesn't support connecting to a computer (presumably connections the other way work fine though) - would this make a difference? I assume I could just pair my Mac to the phone and then it'd work.
henryaj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:57 AM   #9
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

I use my Sony-Erickson 635 (essentially a more recent version of the 68i) as a remote with Romeo. Not sure if Salling Clicker works the same way, but I start Romeo on the Mac and it finds the phone. I click "connect" on Romeo, which then shows up on the phone menu under Accessories. It works perfectly -- the only caveats being, if you get out of range (about 10 m), or the Mac goes to sleep, your connection drops and it has to be reestablished.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals