Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qgriffith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
My wife is a wedding photographer and she already has a G5, but now she is meeting more clients away from her office and really needs a laptop just to show her work on to the clients. I am thinking of getting a 12 inch Ibook but am afraid if the new Intel version comes out that it will be hard to get software/support/updates for this Ibook in a year. How long did Apple support their previous models when they did the chip change from motoral to IBM? I would like to wait till the Ibook with the Intel chip comes out but that could be several more months yet.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2006
Apple still supports the G3s and those are 2 generations old. Just buy the iBook.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
The iBook and all PPC processors will be supported for a long time. Don't worry.

Heh, even though you didn't ask, the iBooks are wonderful machines! I am at one of my old houses and I can connect to the wireless network two houses away. You couldn't be able to do that with a PowerBook or even a MacBook Pro. The ibooks have wonderful airport signal and are wonderful in general... for a great price.

Buy one! Don't let the Intel transition stop you! :)

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
TX
I was hoping this would be the case since I just bought one... Guess it would not have hurt to ask. But the fact they they are still selling the PBs with the MBP made me think they would not just cut support off. I just hope the price does not drop a lot when the replcement for the ibook comes out.

JCT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ
I just bought my middle-schooler an iBook -- even though I knew the new versions would be out this year. I decided to go with the tried-and-true for my boy.

I have no doubt this machine will carry him well into high school, plus, it is as solid as a rock.

I also just bought myself a Quad -- so I really have no doubts about them supporting the PPC platform for the foreseeable future.

Good luck,

JT

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
qgriffith said:
My wife is a wedding photographer and she already has a G5, but now she is meeting more clients away from her office and really needs a laptop just to show her work on to the clients. I am thinking of getting a 12 inch Ibook but am afraid if the new Intel version comes out that it will be hard to get software/support/updates for this Ibook in a year. How long did Apple support their previous models when they did the chip change from motoral to IBM? I would like to wait till the Ibook with the Intel chip comes out but that could be several more months yet.

You will kick yourself when the new Intel iBooks come out.

Tell your wife the immediate lack of a prtable computer will be more then compensated by the increased prodativity of the new Intel Macs.

Yes its a lie, and a big porky at that, but you will kick yourself for buying yesterdays technology.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
combatcolin said:
You will kick yourself when the new Intel iBooks come out.

Tell your wife the immediate lack of a prtable computer will be more then compensated by the increased prodativity of the new Intel Macs.

Yes its a lie, and a big porky at that, but you will kick yourself for buying yesterdays technology.

Edu prices on iBooks are already dropping. If he can get a good deal on an iBook, I'd say go for it -- bugs are worked out of it -- last PPC revision -- they are GREAT GREAT machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.