Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Sorry, but I have an extremely hard time envisioning Apple actually releasing a phone this size. Keep in mind this company stayed with the 3.5" screen forever before finally going 4", I don't think they are going to all of a sudden release two even bigger models.

I think they will release a 4.7" phone, that doesn't have much larger a footprint than the 5/5S since they will reduce the bezel sizes on the top and bottom, and shave the side bezels a little.

But a 5.5" phone, I just don't see it coming out of Apple, especially not this year, regardless of rumors.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Yes, I think Apple will release a 5.5" iPhone to complement the 4.7" model.

Apple offers multiple size Macs, MacBooks, iPads and iPods. People have different requirements and preferences for their devices so I see no reason iPhone should be limited to a single size.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
They won't do it. Not this year at least. I'm 99.99% sure it won't happen this year. But I do think there will be a 4.7.

zetti

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2012
Not this year or even early next year, I expect it will be next summer 2015.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Not this year. They'll let the new 4.7 inch iPhone 6 speak for itself. When they do release the larger iPhone though, it'll no doubt be marketed heavily with the wearable device. Maybe even bundled for a slightly lower price than buying both separately.

This year I think we'll get the 4.7 inch iPhone, and if Apple really want to break the mould, a wearable bundled with an earpiece & nano-sim slot than allows it to work standalone. I know there's not much real estate in a watch to play with, but the nano sims won't take much space and it could even be made to run iOS.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I think they are going to release 2 versions, like they did with the 5c and 5S. The 4.7" does sound good but I would also like to see a 5.5" so I can make my mind up and decide which one I want to buy.
Also with the 2 versions they would be better equipped to take on other companies, such as Samsung with their Galaxy Note.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Yes, I think Apple will release a 5.5" iPhone to complement the 4.7" model.

Apple offers multiple size Macs, MacBooks, iPads and iPods. People have different requirements and preferences for their devices so I see no reason iPhone should be limited to a single size.

I agree, never say never. Iphone need multiple screen size, I also thought apple would never release 7" ipad.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I personally don't think so. Just because of marketing pressure on the iPad Mini plus Apples reluctance for making a large screen phone. And how they market older devices or in the 5C's case how they reuse older tech.

But thats just my opinion. We'll have to wait and see. If nothing else and they do release a 5.5" model I hope its not technically and physically superior to a 4.7" model. By that I mean the 4.7" uses 5S internals with a plastic shell or something while the 5.5" is higher end.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
Not this year. They'll let the new 4.7 inch iPhone 6 speak for itself. When they do release the larger iPhone though, it'll no doubt be marketed heavily with the wearable device. Maybe even bundled for a slightly lower price than buying both separately.

This year I think we'll get the 4.7 inch iPhone, and if Apple really want to break the mould, a wearable bundled with an earpiece & nano-sim slot than allows it to work standalone. I know there's not much real estate in a watch to play with, but the nano sims won't take much space and it could even be made to run iOS.

Damn.... That actually makes a lot of sense

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
Anyone who doesn't think they're working on a 5.5' device just isn't paying attention.

...Which I would be happy to profit off of if anyone was inclined to place any bets ;)

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
We have confirmed reports from the Wall Street journal (amongst others), supply chain confirmation, full body specs, glass, parts, logic board, cases by companies who financially depend on having accurate inside info, etc etc.

Anyone who's not sure it's being made at this point should never go to Vegas.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
That's where you start treading more into hunches and unsupported opinion, but my own particular hunch as someone in the tech industry is that you don't get this far along in the production cycle of a product and not bring it to market in the near future. The amount of money lost if this doesn't come out before the holiday shopping season would be rather massive.

It makes sense that they may stagger the release to November. From a marketing strategy though, I have trouble envisioning a staggered announcement. The way I see it happening is that they announce both in mid-sept. with separate release dates to keep stores and suppliers from being overwhelmed. People who want the 5.5 will wait for it knowing it's right around the corner.

Otherwise what is the alternative? Someone watches the announcement who really wants a 5.5, and sees that only a 4.7 is launched. So he buys that and then a short time later finds out they're also releasing a 5.5?

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Not in 2014 for sure.

I even doubt that next year's iPhone 6S will be that large.

4.7 for 6 in 2014

5.0 or 5.2 for 6S in 2015 is more likely.

I hope I'm wrong because I want to have a 5.5-inch iPhone ASAP.

pure-rockstar

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
I remember when the iPhone 5 first came out and it was an inch longer and people were talking about

It's in FULL wide screen!

At the time I thought there was a point

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.