Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AceC

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I have to leave my phone in my car tomorrow, with temps in the mid to high 70s, but of course a car's interior is warmer in the sun. I don't want my iPhone to get too hot, so what would you recommend?

I was thinking of putting it in an insulated lunch box in the trunk, would that be sufficient?

Is the heat a serious concern anyway?

Thanks.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I have to leave my phone in my car tomorrow, with temps in the mid to high 70s, but of course a car's interior is warmer in the sun. I don't want my iPhone to get too hot, so what would you recommend?

I was thinking of putting it in an insulated lunch box in the trunk, would that be sufficient?

Is the heat a serious concern anyway?

Thanks.

How long are you leaving it for? Lunch box will buy it a few hours . Reason interior heats up are the closed windows, so the trunk should be cooler

Heat is a serious issue. Why not leave your phone at home?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
beware of cooling the phone down too much in a cooler when in humid conditions. If so keep it in a ziplock for a while after removing from the cooler to warm up.

I had a friend who put his iPhone in a zip lock and in a dry area in his cooler with an ice pack. When he returned later in the day and removed the phone from the cooler and ziplock, the phone iquickly started to sweat so bad it triggered his moisture sensors.

I would turn the phone off and leave the windows cracked.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Turn the phone off and put it in the trunk or glovebox. As long as it's out of direct sunlight, you'll be fine.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
This has to be a troll.

70's?

What do you think happened to your phone when it came from China? Do you think it could have been in a vehicle or area hotter than 70f? UPS truck?

Man, you people need to get out more and stop worrying about a darn phone. It's not healthy.

c0LdFire

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
Seriously, I could maybe understand this question if it was 120+ in the middle of the desert, but even then the phone would just shut itself off. Throw the damn thing in your glovebox and come back out to it the next day and it'll be fine. It's a phone. Don't have an aneurysm over it.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Tuck it away snuggly in the gbox or boot and it will be fine. If in the boot put it in a bag of some sort!

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Lots of iPhone's survive in Arizona where it does not get to be 70F even at night for 3 months straight.... So, just turn it off, keep it out of sight. It should be fine.

AceC

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
Turn the phone off and put it in the trunk or glovebox. As long as it's out of direct sunlight, you'll be fine.

I went with that, as planned. It is seemingly alright; it was only in there max 4.5 hours. Assuming damage was even a remote possibility, you would certainly realize it quickly if it was damaged at all?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I went with that, as planned. It is seemingly alright; it was only in there max 4.5 hours. Assuming damage was even a remote possibility, you would certainly realize it quickly if it was damaged at all?

Maybe slightly reduced battery life? I seriously doubt any damage was done.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
left my iphone 5 and iphone 5s in the glove box in my car at around 104 degree. and they work perfectly fine.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
beware of cooling the phone down too much in a cooler when in humid conditions. If so keep it in a ziplock for a while after removing from the cooler to warm up.

I had a friend who put his iPhone in a zip lock and in a dry area in his cooler with an ice pack. When he returned later in the day and removed the phone from the cooler and ziplock, the phone iquickly started to sweat so bad it triggered his moisture sensors.

I would turn the phone off and leave the windows cracked.

Dewpoint (humidity condensing) is met from the opposite direction.

For example taking a glass of ice water (cold) out side in the hot humid summer heat causes condensation to form on the outside of the glass. Bringing a cup of coffee (hot) into the cool AC does not meet that dew point.

I move around a lot of camera equipment. Keeping it in their respective bags when going from inside in the A/C to outside into the heat is a requirement. The other way around doesn't matter.

Crichton333

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2014
I once left the flashlight on by accident, that sucker got soo hot I thought its done. Still worked normal after.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
I once left the flashlight on by accident, that sucker got soo hot I thought its done. Still worked normal after.

Yeah. I left a penny in my car for a whole week. I used it to buy some gum and low and behold, they took it! Although the clerk did look at it strangely, she eventually accepted it as legal tender. I was worried there for a minute.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I use an old iPhone 3G as a music player hooked up to my car stereo. It sits in my car all the time. I live in Utah and it gets really hot in the summer really cold in the winter. There have only been a few times in the winter where I had to bring it in during the night. Been doing this for years and it works just fine.

Now, I would treat my 5S better, but these are pretty rugged as far as temperature goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.