Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As a part of its latest financial results briefing (via Engadget), Nintendo has unveiled a new web-based service optimized for smartphones to coincide with the upcoming release of Mario Kart 8. The web app will allow all users to view gameplay videos and other information, while those with a Nintendo Network ID will be able to upload videos, establish their rankings, and see friend activity over time.

nintendo_smartphone_web_service.jpg
This is the layout for a smartphone. This web service will enable more people to easily watch Nintendo's official videos, view rankings, watch videos that their friends have shared and videos of tournaments in which they have participated.

This "Mario Kart TV" (temp.) web service is available even for players without NNIDs, but by logging into the service with an NNID, they will be able to easily find their rankings, videos that their friends have shared, videos of tournaments in which they have participated, and it will be convenient to access this service through smart devices even when they are not at home.
The reveal of the new service comes four months after Nintendo president Satoru Iwata acknowledged that the company would consider "a new business structure" that involves smart devices after a third consecutive annual loss. Shortly after Iwata's comments, Japanese business newspaper Nikkei reported that Nintendo's mobile push would focus on marketing demos and not full games, with those claims later denied by Nintendo.

Nintendo has faced heavy competition from mobile platforms in recent years, with App Annie and IDC finding that consumer spending on games for iOS and Android rose to 4x that of dedicated gaming handhelds.

Nintendo's investors have also called on the company to develop titles for iOS and other platforms, while others have suggested that Nintendo should "buy its way" into the smartphone market by either acquiring technology or developing their own. While this newest web service may not be a large initial showing, it may also indicate that Nintendo is testing the waters ahead of more full-fledged efforts in the future.

Article Link: Nintendo Unveils New Web-Based Service for Smartphones

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Wait, Nintendo has discovered the internet exists?! Well, it's a step forward.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Although it's good to see Nintendo is putting out more mobile-friendly services and sites, the real question is will they ever release and games or mini games on a smartphone or tablet.

I would guess (and hope) that this would be the case eventually. Most likely to start with mini games. Although if I were them, I'd seriously consider putting together an emulator for GameBoy, GameBoy Color, and GameBoy Advance games for iOS and Android. True there are free versions available for those tech savvy enough willing to go that route. But an official way to have Pokémon or Super Mario Land on your smartphone? I think it's safe to say that venture would be profitable. :D

For a contrast look at Sega, who has no business in the hardware game anymore, they have a library of new and classic titles in the App Store (and Google Play). Heck, they had Sonic the Hedgehog ported to the original video iPod (5th gen). But Nintendo has to worry about selling hardware, which is why they're most likely unwilling to follow the same path.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Wait, Nintendo has discovered the internet exists?! Well, it's a step forward.

Lol right? Also it was pretty smart of them to make a 1080p system in 2012. Perhaps this HD craze is more than just a passing fad. :rolleyes:

iKnackwurst

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2012
Germany
It's not their first. Miiverse is on Smartphones for quite some time now. This is the first one you can access without a NNID.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I can see such a service useful within a console, or pc gaming. But within silly smartphone games, this is ridiculous.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Would love if nintendo got over themselves and ported the classic gameboy games to iOS, would made me buy the games "again" since my old gameboy classic is dead...
and if they really want to make hardware, make some proper controls were you can plug your phone in...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Web based? I don't know. I think people will be more apt to play with app games, not log into a web browser and play it that way. I'm not a gamer so I can be wrong on that.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
So this is your answer to iPhone gaming? Oh no, you don't have one. What a pity!
No problem Nintendo, just stick with whatever you're doing and let Abenomics do the rest.

squan

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2006
Nintendo makes excellent games but their marketing-game is so obsolete. Get with the times, put Pokemon on smartphones and use that ridiculous amount of cash to reinvent that magic that put you on the map in the first place.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Dear Nintendo,

Put the NES games on the ipad. Charge $20 per game and save your company.

Till then, shut up.

Rodel30

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2013
For a contrast look at Sega, who has no business in the hardware game anymore, they have a library of new and classic titles in the App Store (and Google Play). Heck, they had Sonic the Hedgehog ported to the original video iPod (5th gen). But Nintendo has to worry about selling hardware, which is why they're most likely unwilling to follow the same path.

Nintendo could pretty easily make a fair bit of money selling old games, and use that profit to lower cost of hardware for consumers. That would open the door to more sales of games for their current Consoles. On top of that, virtual games are a much better profit because they cost little to distribute, and the buyer can't resell it as used to anyone else.

People are playing classic Nintendo games either way, might as well try to make some money off of it. The only reason I can see against it is if they would have to pay out royalties for any of the stuff, but they own Mario and I believe Pokémon as well.

tigertazz

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Too little too late IMO

They need to go the route of Sega and start offering their (brilliant) games on the tablets, smartphones and other consoles

I would love to play their games but not willing to go spend money on their inferior consoles (game boy exempt from this)

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
It's a start, but Nintendo really needs to port their games to other platforms. My son desperately wanted a 3DS XL for Christmas last year and Santa brought him one. Guess where it is, on the shelf for the past three months. Reason? It's too slow and the games are too expensive. So it's going on eBay along with his iPod Touch and he's paying the difference for a refurbished iPad mini.

yano729

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
Man I wish apple had the balls to buy Nintendo, make the whole platform of games available on appletv. I think that would be a wise move .

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Umm...

Did anyone read the article? Did I miss something? This isn't playable games.
The web app will allow all users to view gameplay videos and other information, while those with a Nintendo Network ID will be able to upload videos, establish their rankings, and see friend activity over time.

Nintendo was already dead a few years ago. They just don't know it yet.
- No, that was "Super" Nintendo. They couldn't find any more power-ups so the next blow is fatal...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.