Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I just can't get a grip on the way my contacts synch between the mac, the cloud and google... on my phone and iMac.

After I updated to Maviericks, contacts on my iMac now has three categories under ALL CONTACTS... iCloud, On my Mac and Google. It used to have only Google. The problem is that they don't have the same number of contacts. Fortunately, I don't have a lot of friends :p so I was able to go through all 273 contacts to see where they were missing in each category. Most contacts have "three cards" to their name, but a few only have two.. they are not listed under iMac contacts. That seems to cause the main discrepancy count. I don't know how to get those few extra contacts to appear in the iMac cateogory because I don't know where it came from. I assume it was something in the upgrade, but can't be sure.

I have my contacts in google (from the days of Android) and thus when I got my iphone I continued to do the same. When I got my iMac, I followed suit. When I connect to iTunes, I don't synch my contacts.. I allow Google to take care of that backup. So I am not sure why there are now two additional categories on my computer.. iMac and iCloud. I thought Google did it all.

Don't mean to ramble.. but if someone could explain the relationship between Google and iCloud on the phone and iMac I'd sure appreciate it. I'm not so much concerned about the few missing contacts as they were not important, but if I don't know why they are not all synching together, I might lose important information one day.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can add your google contacts to the Mac contact app. Just click on contacts>Add account and select the desired option.

That will give you your google contacts on your mac. I think that's what you're asking correct?

mjt57

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
South Eastern Australia
Not sure if that what the OP was asking, Mike.

I had a similar issue with my setup.

I logged into Gmail and opened the contacts section. Resized the browser Window, then opened the Contacts application on the Mac, again resized so that the two were next to each other.

Then I spent an hour or so going through all of the duplicates in each, updating the entries in the "iCloud" version, then when done, I deleted the Gmail contacts and "disconnected" the contacts link from the Mac and from my iPhone and iPad.

So, all I have now is one set of contacts in iCloud.

jayes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
MJT57 - I have the same setup, but I also have an "on my iMac" account. So there are three of them. And they are not all the same. Close, but off by a few contacts. I don't know why the icloud account has any contacts in them because I have never entered data, nor have I synched it. I have thought strongly about doing what you did.. make sure all my gmail contacts are there and "disconnect". If I were to do that, where is the backup.. incloud and iTunes? And if I don't do that, will gmail continue to synch with iCloud (which is seems to have done) and keep icloud up to date? That's where I'm confused... where did the icloud contacts come from in the first place? As well as those "on my mac". Prior to Maverick upgrade, the only contacts I had were Google.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sorry for the confusion. I thought he was asking how to have google contacts in the Mac contact app.

mjt57

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
South Eastern Australia
I have thought strongly about doing what you did.. make sure all my gmail contacts are there and "disconnect". If I were to do that, where is the backup.. incloud and iTunes? And if I don't do that, will gmail continue to synch with iCloud (which is seems to have done) and keep icloud up to date? That's where I'm confused... where did the icloud contacts come from in the first place? As well as those "on my mac". Prior to Maverick upgrade, the only contacts I had were Google.

Good questions. Unfortunately I'm still new to the world of Macs and have yet to fully understand how this stuff works.

I don't know how my iCloud and Gmail Contacts managed to merge themselves, either. Unless I imported them at some stage or that they sync'ed via my iPhone, I don't know.

As for backups, good question. Currently I'm relying on a full backup of my iPhone to my Mac's hard drive when I sync it to iTunes. Hopefully that will preserve the data if iCloud ever dies.

In Contacts on the Mac look under the menu/File/Export/Contacts Archive. I think that this does back up the data to HDD.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Google Contacts are not part of, or maintained by, iCloud - they're managed on Google's servers.

What it sounds like is that you have Contacts turned on in your iCloud settings, and you have Contacts turned on in the Mail settings for your Google email account.

If you want to continue depending on Google contacts, you can turn off Contacts in iCloud. If you would prefer to depend on iCloud for contacts, then turn off the Google Contacts.

If you have both turned on, and you've managed to copy your Google contacts into your iCloud account, then you'll see duplicates. That's what I think is happening in your case.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm sure there are many people that sync contacts with two sources. One reason would be to keep them separate. But if you want one set of contacts I'd recommend getting it all straight in one account and turning the other off. With me it was between a Google Apps account and a hosted Exchange account. I went with Google Apps since i have a Google Voice number there.

I occasionally run an add-on for Windows Outlook that updates the Exchange account to match what I have at Google.

mjt57

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
South Eastern Australia
If you want to continue depending on Google contacts, you can turn off Contacts in iCloud. If you would prefer to depend on iCloud for contacts, then turn off the Google Contacts.

That's what I did - turn off Google's Contacts. Deleted them all from the Google Contacts web page and turned Contacts off in the Gmail account on the iPhone and iPad. And under Preferences/Accounts on the Macs I selected Google and turned off Contacts there.

If you have both turned on, and you've managed to copy your Google contacts into your iCloud account, then you'll see duplicates. That's what I think is happening in your case.

Or, another possibility is that when iCloud and Google contacts are both turned on and they both have the same contacts then "duplicates" will appear in the combined list.

It's easy enough to determine if this is the case by going into Contacts and in the left pane to select "all iCloud" or "all Gmail". If the dupes disappear then you know where the dupes are coming from.

jayes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I looked a little deeper into Contacts and as ApfelKuchen suggested, I do have iCloud contacts turned on in addition to Google.

A little background. I have two iMacs and they both use the same contact list. When I updated the secondary computer to Mavericks (decided to try it out on the least used computer) I noted that I now had an iCloud account in contacts. I didn't know how it got there as I was only using Google to synch contacts. But whatever.. it was all working.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, decided to upgrade my main comptuer to Mavericks. Now that computer ended up with an iCloud account. So I think it definitely had to do with the upgrade.. something that happened automatically. Or I checked something without knowing what it was going to do.

I am wondering, though, if the iCloud account is now stagnant and does not update as the information in those contacts seem to be lacking. And to answer BrianBaughn, there were some duplicates when I listed "all contacts" but I merged them together. Still not sure if icloud is updating. Too confusing to read through all my contacts. I suppose I can disconnect the icloud contacts, but it seems like it's a good backup if Google has a breakdown.

Appreciate everyone's input. I have a better understanding of what is going on.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Easiest way to see "pure iCloud" is to sign into iCloud.com - no doubts if some setting is wrong somewhere, and it'll help troubleshoot a variety of issues (are the duplications in the cloud, or just on a particular device).

Check your Contacts preferences to see which account is designated as the default for adding new contacts - if Google is the default, it'll explain why iCloud isn't being updated.

I wouldn't keep both iCloud and Google contacts just for the sake of backup. The time spent making sure both sets of contacts was up to date, that you put the right person on the right list, etc. doesn't seem worth it. If you have better reason to run both (keeping business and personal totally separate) then the added complication may be worthwhile.

jayes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Easiest way to see "pure iCloud" is to sign into iCloud.com - no doubts if some setting is wrong somewhere, and it'll help troubleshoot a variety of issues (are the duplications in the cloud, or just on a particular device).

Check your Contacts preferences to see which account is designated as the default for adding new contacts - if Google is the default, it'll explain why iCloud isn't being updated.

I wouldn't keep both iCloud and Google contacts just for the sake of backup. The time spent making sure both sets of contacts was up to date, that you put the right person on the right list, etc. doesn't seem worth it. If you have better reason to run both (keeping business and personal totally separate) then the added complication may be worthwhile.

Learned something new today. Never knew this was an option. And yes, preferences were set to icloud which was evidently why additions on the mac did not make it to Google. I set it to Google for the time being. I also disenabled the icloud account.

This led me to my calendar app on the mac where I did the same thing. But this time it came with a strange error message that I can't seem to get rid of.

The request for account “Google” failed.
The server responded with
“400”
to operation CalDAVAccountRefreshQueueableOperation.

Everything seems to be synching, but inevitably, this pops up. Not sure how to get rid of it. Search on the net says issue has been around a while.

ETA: I went back through my settings, making sure that icloud contacts and calendar were not selected in System prefences. Deleted the Google account (mail and calendar) and put them back. Closed and reopened calendar and so far the message has not shown up again.

Last edited:

otomo

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2013
How do you tell where a card is from (Google, iCloud, etc) in the "All Contacts" view?

jayes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
How do you tell where a card is from (Google, iCloud, etc) in the "All Contacts" view?

When you highlight a name in Contacts, the details are on the right pane. Under the person's information it says "cards". This is where it lists this information. All my contacts say both On My Mac and Google. Google because I keep my contacts there. When I had some names in the Cloud, it listed all three. I had inadvertently listed iCloud as my default (during some upgrade I think) which meant I was not getting full Google sync. Contacts made on my iMac did not sync with Google. Those entered on my phone did however. By removing that default, all contacts sync with Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.