Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 9, 2014, 05:51 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Hires Nokia's Lumia Photography Lead to Work on the iPhone's Camera

Apple has hired Nokia's Lumia photography chief Ari Partinen, reports Engadget. Partinen stated on his Twitter that he will be "starting a new chapter in Cupertino" this June, later confirming that he will join Apple.

The Nokia 808 PureView with 41MP sensor

According to Partinen's LinkedIn biography, his responsibilities at Nokia included "working with image quality characterization and tuning on camera module level", while handling camera component production and quality control on a global scale. Partinen also lists the Nokia's 808 PureView and Nokia N8 as devices he has worked on, which were regarded for their noteworthy photographic capabilities.

Partinen's hire comes as Apple is reportedly looking to bolster the next-generation iPhone's camera through optical image stabilization and other improvements. Nokia has focused heavily on the advantages of the camera's on its devices throughout the past few years, recently launching the Nokia Lumia 1520 with a 20 MP PureView camera.

Article Link: Apple Hires Nokia's Lumia Photography Lead to Work on the iPhone's Camera
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 05:52 AM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 603

I just say that Apple is on the move for something big.
Old May 9, 2014, 05:53 AM   #3
yjchua95
macrumors 68040

Location: Queenstown, NZ and Melbourne, VIC, Australia (current location)
Send a message via Skype™ to yjchua95
Let me guess, a 41MP PureView from the Lumia 1020 will soon make its way into the iPhone.
yjchua95 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 05:55 AM   #4
dasx
macrumors 65816

Now it will be all about the MPx I guess?
dasx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 05:55 AM   #5
TechGod
In Time-Out

This is great for the camera.
TechGod is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 05:56 AM   #6
gnasher729
In Time-Out

Great for Nokia engineers if Apple is hiring. Always a good move to go to a company that has a future.
gnasher729 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 06:02 AM   #7
Daze & Confuse
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjchua95 View Post
Let me guess, a 41MP PureView from the Lumia 1020 will soon make its way into the iPhone.
I hope so - the 808 Pureview was a stunning camera, only let down by its end of life operating system.

I'm glad you realise how good it is - I'm sick of all the willingly uninformed idiots on here having a go just for it having 41mp, where they refuse to see the obvious benefits of its 5mp resampled output.

Nokia is a real leader in camera technology, and it'll be cool to see that technology spread.
Daze & Confuse is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 06:05 AM   #8
yjchua95
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze & Confuse View Post
I hope so - the 808 Pureview was a stunning camera, only let down by its end of life operating system.

I'm glad you realise how good it is - I'm sick of all the willingly uninformed idiots on here having a go just for it having 41mp, where they refuse to see the obvious benefits of its 5mp resampled output.

Nokia is a real leader in camera technology, and it'll be cool to see that technology spread.
Symbian marked the demise of Nokia, until Windows Phone swooped in and saved their bacon.

I went for the 1020 alongside my iPhone 5s because:

1. It's running on WP, which actually works pretty well in corporate environments. Android's a mess.
2. The camera. Supersampling is a good technology, but being able to shoot in RAW (DNG) is even better. Plus, the manual controls are easy to use (although I still love my 5D Mk3's controls).

So far, I love the results of my Lumia's camera, especially with Nokia Camera and Smart Cam.

Even Stephen Alvarez, a National Geographic photographer, uses a 1020 himself for pro assignments.
yjchua95 is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 06:07 AM   #9
yjchua95
macrumors 68040

Pit the Lumia 1020 against any smartphone camera and the Lumia will blow everything out of the water.

Pit the iPhone 5S against the Galaxy S4/S5 and the iPhone still wins. It's not about the pixels - it's about the saturation, sharpness, color accuracy, contrast....etc.

I'm a full-time photographer myself, and I've tried Samsung's phone cameras. They can come close to that of the iPhone's, but can't really beat it.

But then, pit anything against the Lumia 1020 and they'll all lose.

Last edited by maflynn; May 9, 2014 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Removed deleted post from quote
yjchua95 is online now   16 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 06:09 AM   #10
Frizers
macrumors member

maybe we'll get some thickness back for the iphone after all
Frizers is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 06:09 AM   #11
Futurix
macrumors regular

Nokia made two major breakthroughs in phone cameras:

1. Lumia 1020 (and PureView 808) with 41MP camera that downscales to 5MP - resulting in super-sharp and highly detailed photos.

2. Lumias 92x / 15x0 with great low light cameras thanks to optical image stabilisation (OIS).

#1 wouldn't suit Apple thanks to a requirement for an enormously thick sensor, #2 is something they are rumoured to have already for iPhone 6.

So there must be something else they hired him for?

P.S. Nokia cameras with OIS aren't that great in daylight - iPhone 4S and newer still beat them.
Futurix is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 06:10 AM   #12
maflynn

Wow, big win for Apple and big loss for MS. Nokia's phones are noted for their great cameras. While the iPhone camera is good, I think its competitors have eclipsed them
Old May 9, 2014, 06:10 AM   #13
recklesslife85
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Pit the Lumia 1020 against any smartphone camera and the Lumia will blow everything out of the water.

Pit the iPhone 5S against the Galaxy S4/S5 and the iPhone still wins. It's not about the pixels - it's about the saturation, sharpness, color accuracy, contrast....etc.
iPhone 5S cam does not beat the S5 camera, i own both and S5 is way ahead in detail and colours.
recklesslife85 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 06:11 AM   #14
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
I wish this was true... however, due to physical constraints, it's highly improbable the thin iPhone ever gets a large sensor. Large sensors mean thickness; this is what Apple would never allow in their handsets.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 06:12 AM   #15
yjchua95
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurix View Post
Nokia made two major breakthroughs in phone cameras:

1. Lumia 1020 (and PureView 808) with 41MP camera that downscales to 5MP - resulting in super-sharp and highly detailed photos.

2. Lumias 92x / 15x0 with great low light cameras thanks to optical image stabilisation (OIS).

#1 wouldn't suit Apple thanks to a requirement for an enormously thick sensor, #2 is something they are rumoured to have already for iPhone 6.

So there must be something else they hired him for?

P.S. Nokia cameras with OIS aren't that great in daylight - iPhone 4S and newer still beat them.
Not really, I did a test with my iPhone 5S and Lumia 1020 and found that the 1020 totally trashed the iPhone in everything else except some situations in low light, where the white balance went nuts and put a yellowish tinge.

That said, it's a small issue as the 1020 can shoot in DNG, allowing the user to extract the raw 38MP image and change the white balance in Photoshop.
yjchua95 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 06:14 AM   #16
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurix View Post
...and the 1020...

Quote:
#1 wouldn't suit Apple thanks to a requirement for an enormously thick sensor
Yup - that's a problem, as I've pointed out above.

Quote:
Depends. The 920 indeed didn't have great image quality. The 1020, however, easily beats iPhones in most respects except for WB (before the latest upgrades), speed and sweep pano.
Old May 9, 2014, 06:14 AM   #17
Cod3rror
macrumors 68000

Well, that was bound to happen, engineers scattering to other companies.

Nokia's Lumia cameras have bad camera quality. There is something wrong with their software algorithms, images have this "fuzz" when at 100% resolution.

Their Symbian cameras were always ahead of time though, Nokia 808 PureView is still unmatched and I doubt it'll be matched any time soon.

Apple needs to get Juha Alakarhu and Damian Dinning too, before Samsung hires them.
Cod3rror is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 06:15 AM   #18
yjchua95
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
The 1020, however, easily beats iPhones in most respects except for WB (before the latest upgrades), speed and sweep pano.
The 1020's WB problems started after the Amber update. The Black update didn't fully fix it either, so in low light, I adjust the WB manually to eliminate the yellow tinge issue.
yjchua95 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 06:16 AM   #19
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizers View Post
maybe we'll get some thickness back for the iphone after all
Won't happen. Unfortunately - again, it's the lack of thickness that makes it impossible to put a large sensor in the iPhone.
Old May 9, 2014, 06:17 AM   #20
MattJessop
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to MattJessop
The iPhone 6. Now snappier.
MattJessop is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 06:18 AM   #21
Steve121178
macrumors 68020

His hiring comes a little too late for iPhone 6.

Maybe we will see some progress with the iPhone 6s in late 2015?
Old May 9, 2014, 06:19 AM   #22
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod3rror View Post
Nokia's Lumia cameras have bad camera quality. There is something wrong with their software algorithms, images have this "fuzz" when at 100% resolution.
While I do know you're a die-hard 808 fan and an opponent of anything Windows Phone, let me disagree: the 1020 delivers what one can realistically expect of such a sensor.

Of course, it has some additional problems (mainly, WB), but if you shoot RAW (DNG), those can be easily fixed in PP (where you yourself set the WB).

Quote:
Their Symbian cameras were always ahead of time though, Nokia 808 PureView is still unmatched and I doubt it'll be matched any time soon.
Yup, won't be matched - Apple will never release a "thick" iPhone.

Quote:
Apple needs to get Juha Alakarhu and Damian Dinning too, before Samsung hires them.
Damian Dinning isn't exactly an engineer - he's more of a camera enthusiast / evangelist.
Old May 9, 2014, 06:20 AM   #23
akuma13
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
His hiring comes a little too late for iPhone 6.

Maybe we will see some progress with the iPhone 6s in late 2015?
I'm guessing the same. This is always why i wait for S version.

Apple is finally making some big moves and acquisitions. It's going to be interesting next year.
akuma13 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 06:20 AM   #24
randyj
macrumors member

No one needs 41MP in a phone. Will avoid it if Apple put one in an iPhone.
randyj is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 06:21 AM   #25
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Won't happen. Unfortunately - again, it's the lack of thickness that makes it impossible to put a large sensor in the iPhone.
and thank god for that! so bulky ... if i want to take awesome vacation pics etc i take my real camera. the phone camera is good enough for random instagram snaps
bushido is offline   7 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion