Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Anyone have any experience in this? I've got to make a flash banner that runs under Doubleclick, but only have Flash CC (2013 version).

Someone said I'd have to use a clickTAG that is compatible with AS2 and a file that works in Version 11 or earlier. Is this possible in CC?

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Short answer is "not easily". Adobe has removed As2 support in Adobe CC and was very vocal about doing so. Companies like double-click are a bit lazy to still ask for AS2 banners. AS2 is antique.

If you do not have access to Flash CS6, I would contact double-click for their AS3 code. I know it exists as we make banners all the time with AS3.

If you follow this thread: https://forums.adobe.com/message/5620920 you will see how you may be able to hack CC to support the AS2 runtime...

BlabBen

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2014
Malta
No Flash

Hi,

My suggestion is not to use Flash at all ! Flash is awesome but does not work with iPhones and iPads :(

blackboxideas

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
@BlabBen - Unfortunately a lot of online ad spend is still geared around Flash, as tablet/mobile audiences still only make a relatively small percentage for many businesses. Ads will be served with a backup image/gif so those users should still see something.

irishgrizzly - It's a PITA, I still have a copy of CS6 because of this. Many Ad servers, networks and publication sites still require Flash files as low as FP 9/10 which CC won't export. Whilst Adobe's decision to not support older formats is better in the long run, a lot of the industry hasn't caught up yet.

Double click do have a repository of Flash templates they've put together, you can access it here: https://doubleclick-support.appspot.com/repository

Change the filter to AS3/clickTag and it should give you some sample files which are compatible with DC's platform.
There's another example of the code here: https://support.google.com/dfp_premium/answer/79268?hl=en but as the article mentions there are instances where AS3 clickTag code doesn't seem to fire correctly.

If your ad is being served through Double Click - then you should get it validated fine if you use their example code above.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
<sarcasm>What's a Flash?</sarcasm>

Flash development for anything is wasted time and effort. It would seem that you DO understand this could be done with a little HTML5/CSS3/JavaScript, but are limited by clients.

I see an opportunity for a company to take and share online ads that DO NOT use Adobe. Millions of pennies just waiting for someone's bank account.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
<sarcasm>What's a Flash?</sarcasm>

Flash development for anything is wasted time and effort. It would seem that you DO understand this could be done with a little HTML5/CSS3/JavaScript, but are limited by clients.

I see an opportunity for a company to take and share online ads that DO NOT use Adobe. Millions of pennies just waiting for someone's bank account.

Not the clients, the media companies. When you make a media buy you build to the specs required. I do agree flash should die, but for most ad networks it's still flash with a backup static.

BlabBen

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2014
Malta
Not the clients, the media companies. When you make a media buy you build to the specs required. I do agree flash should die, but for most ad networks it's still flash with a backup static.

I love flash, but unfortunately there's no future for it as I see it due to its limitations, seo and mobile devices being some. The future is HTML5. I've seen some amazing website animations done in HTML5 that would impress you as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.