Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drelton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2014
Hi everybody,

I've been wanting to buy a 15'' Macbook Pro for the last month. I will use it mainly for music production and everyday casual stuff, so I decided the Retinas are not for me (due to pricing, hazards of it being damaged and no upgradeability).

I just spot a very tempting offer online to buy a late 2011 MP that is practically new (1 month of use, 10 battery cycles). It would cost 1,300US, though I'll try to down-price it to 1,260US. Please keep in mind that I'm not in the US, so due to taxes, Macbooks here are always a little bit more expensive.

Its specs are:
500GB HDD
Quadcore i7 2.2 ghz
3.3 Turboboost
2 graphic cards (intel HD 3000 512MB and AMD Radeon 6750 m 512MB, etc.

I wanted to get advice if this is a good deal, or should I wait for a 2012 Macbook Pro, which might be just marginally better for my intended use.

Thank you!

Last edited:

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
In short, No.

Radeon Gate makes this unit more likely to fail in 1 month or 1 year. Who knows.

Also, how could such an old computer be just 1 month old chap? Was it sitting on a shelf as forgotten inventory all these years?

Spring for a more recent MBA is my suggestion.

drelton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2014
Thanks FuNGi. I will research the Radeon Gate issue, didn't know that it was a problem.

I should clarify a couple of things though.

1. According to the seller it was bought for work at a production company that broke apart. This same seller has top rates by selling other Apple equipment at low prices, and all his customer reviews are positive. I shall try the MBP this weekend and confirm that it has a battery life of 10 cycles, which is coherent to what he says about 1 month of use.

2. I'm not not very convinced about the MBA because it is not user upgradeable, the screen is too small and I need to have a reliable machine for at least the next 5 years. I like the idea of not having to carry so much weight on my back though!

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
FuNGI has a point. The GPU failed on my late-2011 last week without any warning. Until Apple fix the underlying issue and institute a recall it's a very risky buy secondhand.

Shame really, it's a brilliant machine and perfect for my needs. It's one of the last powerful and upgradeable MacBooks with a full complement of ports.

See if you can find a 2012 MBP with the nVidia 650 GPU. No history of GPU problems with them as yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.