Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old May 9, 2014, 01:04 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Chrome Apps Gaining OS X Finder Integration to Open Mac Files by Default

Google has launched a new feature for its experimental Chrome Canary browser for Mac, enabling a beta function that allows users to open local Mac files using Chrome apps in Finder. Using the feature, Chrome apps can be associated with OS X files, bringing Google one step closer to replacing desktop functionality with its browser.

For example, the Chrome Text app can be used to open any Mac text file, as seen in the screenshot below. The Text app shows up as an option right alongside native options like TextEdit.

Quote:
It is now possible to get OS integration of file associations for Chrome Apps in Chrome Canary for Mac.

All you need is to enable the experimental chrome://flags/#enable-apps-file-associations flag and restart your browser.
Enabling this flag in Canary Chrome will let users choose installed Chrome apps as an option when opening an associated file, with the apps behaving as native Mac apps. As noted by Gigaom, the process functions through app manifests, which allow developers to specify which apps are compatible with different file types via file handlers.

While the feature is currently limited to Chrome Canary for testing purposes, many Canary functions eventually make it to Google's stable Chrome browser. There is no word, however, on when the new feature might make it out of testing as there are still several bugs to work out.

Article Link: Chrome Apps Gaining OS X Finder Integration to Open Mac Files by Default
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:06 PM   #2
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
What use would that be?
Old May 9, 2014, 01:11 PM   #3
JackieTreehorn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
What use would that be?

Google will be selling even more of your personal info to advertising companies.
Old May 9, 2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Futurix
macrumors regular

Chrome is like a parasite, embedding itself in host OS - to promote Google's web platform
Futurix is online now   22 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:15 PM   #5
elmateo487
macrumors 6502

While this is fully optional... Who would prefer their crappy web apps over ANYTHING else?

MAYBE a business who has gone all google, and does everything in the google cloud.

Maybe.
elmateo487 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:23 PM   #6
MacLC
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
Google will be selling even more of your personal info to advertising companies.
Exactly. It took me a while to understand Google's motives although they had made it clear early on. They want to control the world's data.

I switched from iOS when my old phone broke and I didn't have money for an iPhone. I switched back from Android when to download even a basic app, I had to give it access to my phone book and call list.

There is nothing a person cannot do in MS Office, iWork, or Star/Open/Libre that they can with Google docs, except unwillingly and unwittingly give away my private data to Google.

With "free" Google software the user is the product.
MacLC is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:24 PM   #7
seamer
macrumors 6502

Dear Google,

I prefer my files to be via sublime if it has to be in a UI, or the default Pages.
seamer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:24 PM   #8
genovelle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmateo487 View Post
While this is fully optional... Who would prefer their crappy web apps over ANYTHING else?

MAYBE a business who has gone all google, and does everything in the google cloud.

Maybe.
It's optional now but chrome installs a server that runs in the background doing God knows what. We had three computers at work that were doing weird stuff including IE issues. Oddly these were the only ones that people had downloaded chrome to. After removing it we noticed the chrome server actively working in the background. Once it was gone the issues stopped.
genovelle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:25 PM   #9
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

It's like a Trojan horse!
Old May 9, 2014, 01:30 PM   #10
gotluck
macrumors 68040

I seem to have forgotten my tinfoil hat
Old May 9, 2014, 01:41 PM   #11
philipk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
No this is not tinfoil hat material. NO ONE gives away their product for free. Google has spent many hours developing their products and they want paid for it. It is clearly stated in the privacy policy.

Google Free apps are paid for by advertising. For advertisers to get their money's worth they want it localized. Google anonymously gives private info to their clients. Many people do not mind this. I refuse to be part of it. Both choices are valid.

Apple Free apps are paid for by selling hardware and cloud space.

Microsoft Office apps are paid for by subscription.

It is your choice but I strongly dislike Google's business model and have removed all their apps from OS X and Chrome from IOS.

I may be in the minority, but I would rather pay a monthly fee for no ads and (some) privacy.
Old May 9, 2014, 01:46 PM   #12
Traverse
macrumors 65816

Yay. Google can access even more information.

But seriously, I don't see the point of this. I don't like browser based apps. Why would I use limited apps when I have powerful native versions?
Traverse is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:53 PM   #13
DonutHands
macrumors member

Oh sweet, finally 64 bit chrome for mac!

wait, wait, no. just some other chrome garbage getting updated first.
DonutHands is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:55 PM   #14
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipk View Post
Google Free apps are paid for by advertising. For advertisers to get their money's worth they want it localized. Google anonymously gives private info to their clients. Many people do not mind this. I refuse to be part of it. Both choices are valid.
It's entirely acceptable to not like the way Google structures its business, but at least understand exactly what they're doing.

First, they're not giving away private data. If you used their services, they wouldn't be collecting info on a "PhilipK", you'd just be a number that gets tracked jumping from website to website, or by clicking certain advertisements. It's all analytics, and it'd be amazingly difficult to figure out who you are by the random number that's been assigned to you.

Think of it as you being node 5570431256. Node 5570431256 likes to visit Mac forums, and also likes cameras. If a respectable number of others nodes who start out at Mac forums tend to visit camera forums, they've built up a knowledge base, and know that Mac sites are a good place to advertise cameras. Your name isn't directly tied to any of this, only your anonymous node.

Secondly, they don't sell their analytics to companies. That'd be Google giving away their golden goose, since they'd only be able to sell that once, and it'd be entirely out of their hands. What they do instead is sell adspace. Using the example above, a camera manufacturer wants to advertise their product. They go to Google, who says "yeah, we know where to put your adverts so they get the most views", then offers up a price to do so. Google then starts placing camera ads on Mac forums.

Now I can understand why some people wouldn't like that, but the whole setup is nowhere near as insidious as some people make it out to be. I don't use ad supported apps simply because I don't like getting ad popups, not because I'm worried about them selling my medical records off to advertisers.
Renzatic is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 02:10 PM   #15
octothorpe8
macrumors regular

Quote:
Is that your response to any concern about privacy? Because this one is pretty clear cut.
octothorpe8 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 02:30 PM   #16
Karma*Police
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
It's entirely acceptable to not like the way Google structures its business, but at least understand exactly what they're doing.

First, they're not giving away private data. If you used their services, they wouldn't be collecting info on a "PhilipK", you'd just be a number that gets tracked jumping from website to website, or by clicking certain advertisements. It's all analytics, and it'd be amazingly difficult to figure out who you are by the random number that's been assigned to you.

Think of it as you being node 5570431256. Node 5570431256 likes to visit Mac forums, and also likes cameras. If a respectable number of others nodes who start out at Mac forums tend to visit camera forums, they've built up a knowledge base, and know that Mac sites are a good place to advertise cameras. Your name isn't directly tied to any of this, only your anonymous node.

Secondly, they don't sell their analytics to companies. That'd be Google giving away their golden goose, since they'd only be able to sell that once, and it'd be entirely out of their hands. What they do instead is sell adspace. Using the example above, a camera manufacturer wants to advertise their product. They go to Google, who says "yeah, we know where to put your adverts so they get the most views", then offers up a price to do so. Google then starts placing camera ads on Mac forums.

Now I can understand why some people wouldn't like that, but the whole setup is nowhere near as insidious as some people make it out to be. I don't use ad supported apps simply because I don't like getting ad popups, not because I'm worried about them selling my medical records off to advertisers.
I agree with your cogent post. One thing that was left out however is that some Google employees do have access to people's data, including searches, comments, reviews, friends, emails, etc. Just imagine if an individual who shouldn't have access gets access to all of that data. Pretty scary stuff.
Karma*Police is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 02:35 PM   #17
philipk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
I pretty much agree. I don't think it is insidious. And my main reason is also not getting the pop-up ads.

However giving them control over seeing my files on my computer does make me nervous. No matter how innocent it is. That is a huge leap beyond tracking my browser history or email content.
Old May 9, 2014, 02:38 PM   #18
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

This should have been introduced on the Windows version first. Most people on the Mac side don't use Chrome for web apps, they use it because it's a better browser for them, and the Google integration. Plus, the fact that Flash is built-in.

And yes, putting a free web app next to a $70 editor was a dumb move. Although this is a great idea in general.
Old May 9, 2014, 03:06 PM   #19
fredaroony
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
How exactly would they be doing that by opening a file?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmateo487 View Post

Maybe.
Does your work use a shared NAS drive and thick clients for everything? I prefer cloud any day over that.
fredaroony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 04:56 PM   #20
genovelle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Google doesn't deny their motives. People like you blindly refuse to listen because you get free stuff. You most likely rant and rave about the NSA even under the umbrella of national security. Google transcribes Google voice calls and scrubs your email for a profit. Do you really want a company who only makes money by exploiting your private data to have unlimited access to it.
genovelle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 05:05 PM   #21
fredaroony
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post
Google doesn't deny their motives. People like you blindly refuse to listen because you get free stuff. You most likely rant and rave about the NSA even under the umbrella of national security. Google transcribes Google voice calls and scrubs your email for a profit. Do you really want a company who only makes money by exploiting your private data to have unlimited access to it.
Got any proof?
fredaroony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 05:14 PM   #22
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Lol

FWIW I do rant and rave about the NSA even under the umbrella of national security. Cheers

I dont care about my anonymously aggregated demographic data and I actually get something from google. (I've also paid them a good bit of money )

Quote:
I agree with your cogent post. One thing that was left out however is that some Google employees do have access to people's data, including searches, comments, reviews, friends, emails, etc. Just imagine if an individual who shouldn't have access gets access to all of that data. Pretty scary stuff.
This is what I have a problem with.

Last edited by gotluck; May 9, 2014 at 09:58 PM.
gotluck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 05:31 PM   #23
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I don't care about any of this, because at least the data would serve a purpose.

What I really wish is that they would stop making random things publicly accessible while forcing me to use my real name.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
This should have been introduced on the Windows version first. Most people on the Mac side don't use Chrome for web apps, they use it because it's a better browser for them, and the Google integration. Plus, the fact that Flash is built-in.
It's possible that it is actually easier to implement on OS X than Windows, but I have no actual evidence to support that as any sort of assumption.
Old May 10, 2014, 02:32 AM   #24
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traverse View Post
Yay. Google can access even more information.

But seriously, I don't see the point of this. I don't like browser based apps. Why would I use limited apps when I have powerful native versions?
Because bananas.
Ignorant fool!

Glassed Silver:mac
Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance
~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014, 07:56 AM   #25
Scellow
macrumors newbie

What is this trojan ??
Firefox <3
Scellow is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion