Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9, 2014, 01:04 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chrome Apps Gaining OS X Finder Integration to Open Mac Files by Default




Google has launched a new feature for its experimental Chrome Canary browser for Mac, enabling a beta function that allows users to open local Mac files using Chrome apps in Finder. Using the feature, Chrome apps can be associated with OS X files, bringing Google one step closer to replacing desktop functionality with its browser.

For example, the Chrome Text app can be used to open any Mac text file, as seen in the screenshot below. The Text app shows up as an option right alongside native options like TextEdit.

Quote:
It is now possible to get OS integration of file associations for Chrome Apps in Chrome Canary for Mac.

All you need is to enable the experimental chrome://flags/#enable-apps-file-associations flag and restart your browser.
Enabling this flag in Canary Chrome will let users choose installed Chrome apps as an option when opening an associated file, with the apps behaving as native Mac apps. As noted by Gigaom, the process functions through app manifests, which allow developers to specify which apps are compatible with different file types via file handlers.

While the feature is currently limited to Chrome Canary for testing purposes, many Canary functions eventually make it to Google's stable Chrome browser. There is no word, however, on when the new feature might make it out of testing as there are still several bugs to work out.

Article Link: Chrome Apps Gaining OS X Finder Integration to Open Mac Files by Default
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:06 PM   #2
roadbloc
macrumors 604
 
roadbloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
What use would that be?
__________________
roadbloc is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:11 PM   #3
JackieTreehorn
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
What use would that be?

Google will be selling even more of your personal info to advertising companies.
__________________
How's the smut business, Jackie?
27" iMac i7 | 13" MBA 3rd Gen 128 SSD | iPad 3 64Gb | iPhone 4 32Gb | iPhone 4s 32Gb | AppleTV 2nd Gen | AppleTV 3rd Gen | iPod Classic 120Gb | iPod Nano 8Gb
JackieTreehorn is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Futurix
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London
Chrome is like a parasite, embedding itself in host OS - to promote Google's web platform
Futurix is online now   22 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:15 PM   #5
elmateo487
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
While this is fully optional... Who would prefer their crappy web apps over ANYTHING else?

MAYBE a business who has gone all google, and does everything in the google cloud.

Maybe.
elmateo487 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:23 PM   #6
MacLC
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
Google will be selling even more of your personal info to advertising companies.
Exactly. It took me a while to understand Google's motives although they had made it clear early on. They want to control the world's data.

I switched from iOS when my old phone broke and I didn't have money for an iPhone. I switched back from Android when to download even a basic app, I had to give it access to my phone book and call list.

There is nothing a person cannot do in MS Office, iWork, or Star/Open/Libre that they can with Google docs, except unwillingly and unwittingly give away my private data to Google.

With "free" Google software the user is the product.
MacLC is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:24 PM   #7
seamer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Dear Google,

I prefer my files to be via sublime if it has to be in a UI, or the default Pages.
seamer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:24 PM   #8
genovelle
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmateo487 View Post
While this is fully optional... Who would prefer their crappy web apps over ANYTHING else?

MAYBE a business who has gone all google, and does everything in the google cloud.

Maybe.
It's optional now but chrome installs a server that runs in the background doing God knows what. We had three computers at work that were doing weird stuff including IE issues. Oddly these were the only ones that people had downloaded chrome to. After removing it we noticed the chrome server actively working in the background. Once it was gone the issues stopped.
genovelle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:25 PM   #9
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
It's like a Trojan horse!
__________________
iPhone 5 rMBP 15" (2012)
Northgrove is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:30 PM   #10
gotluck
macrumors 68040
 
gotluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: East Central Florida
I seem to have forgotten my tinfoil hat
__________________
iPad Air LTE 7.1.2 JB (T-Mobile) - GS 4 Google Edition 4.4.4 ART (AT&T) - Windows 7 PC's - iPhone 4 6.1 JB
gotluck is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:41 PM   #11
philipk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
I seem to have forgotten my tinfoil hat
No this is not tinfoil hat material. NO ONE gives away their product for free. Google has spent many hours developing their products and they want paid for it. It is clearly stated in the privacy policy.

Google Free apps are paid for by advertising. For advertisers to get their money's worth they want it localized. Google anonymously gives private info to their clients. Many people do not mind this. I refuse to be part of it. Both choices are valid.

Apple Free apps are paid for by selling hardware and cloud space.

Microsoft Office apps are paid for by subscription.

It is your choice but I strongly dislike Google's business model and have removed all their apps from OS X and Chrome from IOS.

I may be in the minority, but I would rather pay a monthly fee for no ads and (some) privacy.
__________________
Philip
3.2 i5 8 GB 27" iMac with 23" ACD;13" 2.6 i5 8 GB MacBook Pro Retina;2.53, 4 GB 15" MacBook Pro (wife's);2 16 gig iPhones 5; 32 gig iPad with Retina; 32 gig iPad;2 Apple TV's gen 2 and gen 3
philipk is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:46 PM   #12
Traverse
macrumors 65816
 
Traverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: My Own World
Yay. Google can access even more information.

But seriously, I don't see the point of this. I don't like browser based apps. Why would I use limited apps when I have powerful native versions?
Traverse is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:53 PM   #13
DonutHands
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Oh sweet, finally 64 bit chrome for mac!

wait, wait, no. just some other chrome garbage getting updated first.
DonutHands is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 01:55 PM   #14
Renzatic
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Who puts the washers in the woods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipk View Post
Google Free apps are paid for by advertising. For advertisers to get their money's worth they want it localized. Google anonymously gives private info to their clients. Many people do not mind this. I refuse to be part of it. Both choices are valid.
It's entirely acceptable to not like the way Google structures its business, but at least understand exactly what they're doing.

First, they're not giving away private data. If you used their services, they wouldn't be collecting info on a "PhilipK", you'd just be a number that gets tracked jumping from website to website, or by clicking certain advertisements. It's all analytics, and it'd be amazingly difficult to figure out who you are by the random number that's been assigned to you.

Think of it as you being node 5570431256. Node 5570431256 likes to visit Mac forums, and also likes cameras. If a respectable number of others nodes who start out at Mac forums tend to visit camera forums, they've built up a knowledge base, and know that Mac sites are a good place to advertise cameras. Your name isn't directly tied to any of this, only your anonymous node.

Secondly, they don't sell their analytics to companies. That'd be Google giving away their golden goose, since they'd only be able to sell that once, and it'd be entirely out of their hands. What they do instead is sell adspace. Using the example above, a camera manufacturer wants to advertise their product. They go to Google, who says "yeah, we know where to put your adverts so they get the most views", then offers up a price to do so. Google then starts placing camera ads on Mac forums.

Now I can understand why some people wouldn't like that, but the whole setup is nowhere near as insidious as some people make it out to be. I don't use ad supported apps simply because I don't like getting ad popups, not because I'm worried about them selling my medical records off to advertisers.
Renzatic is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 02:10 PM   #15
octothorpe8
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
I seem to have forgotten my tinfoil hat
Is that your response to any concern about privacy? Because this one is pretty clear cut.
octothorpe8 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 02:30 PM   #16
Karma*Police
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
It's entirely acceptable to not like the way Google structures its business, but at least understand exactly what they're doing.

First, they're not giving away private data. If you used their services, they wouldn't be collecting info on a "PhilipK", you'd just be a number that gets tracked jumping from website to website, or by clicking certain advertisements. It's all analytics, and it'd be amazingly difficult to figure out who you are by the random number that's been assigned to you.

Think of it as you being node 5570431256. Node 5570431256 likes to visit Mac forums, and also likes cameras. If a respectable number of others nodes who start out at Mac forums tend to visit camera forums, they've built up a knowledge base, and know that Mac sites are a good place to advertise cameras. Your name isn't directly tied to any of this, only your anonymous node.

Secondly, they don't sell their analytics to companies. That'd be Google giving away their golden goose, since they'd only be able to sell that once, and it'd be entirely out of their hands. What they do instead is sell adspace. Using the example above, a camera manufacturer wants to advertise their product. They go to Google, who says "yeah, we know where to put your adverts so they get the most views", then offers up a price to do so. Google then starts placing camera ads on Mac forums.

Now I can understand why some people wouldn't like that, but the whole setup is nowhere near as insidious as some people make it out to be. I don't use ad supported apps simply because I don't like getting ad popups, not because I'm worried about them selling my medical records off to advertisers.
I agree with your cogent post. One thing that was left out however is that some Google employees do have access to people's data, including searches, comments, reviews, friends, emails, etc. Just imagine if an individual who shouldn't have access gets access to all of that data. Pretty scary stuff.
Karma*Police is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 02:35 PM   #17
philipk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Now I can understand why some people wouldn't like that, but the whole setup is nowhere near as insidious as some people make it out to be. I don't use ad supported apps simply because I don't like getting ad popups, not because I'm worried about them selling my medical records off to advertisers.
I pretty much agree. I don't think it is insidious. And my main reason is also not getting the pop-up ads.

However giving them control over seeing my files on my computer does make me nervous. No matter how innocent it is. That is a huge leap beyond tracking my browser history or email content.
__________________
Philip
3.2 i5 8 GB 27" iMac with 23" ACD;13" 2.6 i5 8 GB MacBook Pro Retina;2.53, 4 GB 15" MacBook Pro (wife's);2 16 gig iPhones 5; 32 gig iPad with Retina; 32 gig iPad;2 Apple TV's gen 2 and gen 3
philipk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 02:38 PM   #18
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
This should have been introduced on the Windows version first. Most people on the Mac side don't use Chrome for web apps, they use it because it's a better browser for them, and the Google integration. Plus, the fact that Flash is built-in.

And yes, putting a free web app next to a $70 editor was a dumb move. Although this is a great idea in general.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 03:06 PM   #19
fredaroony
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
Google will be selling even more of your personal info to advertising companies.
How exactly would they be doing that by opening a file?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmateo487 View Post
While this is fully optional... Who would prefer their crappy web apps over ANYTHING else?

MAYBE a business who has gone all google, and does everything in the google cloud.

Maybe.
Does your work use a shared NAS drive and thick clients for everything? I prefer cloud any day over that.
fredaroony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 04:56 PM   #20
genovelle
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
I seem to have forgotten my tinfoil hat
Google doesn't deny their motives. People like you blindly refuse to listen because you get free stuff. You most likely rant and rave about the NSA even under the umbrella of national security. Google transcribes Google voice calls and scrubs your email for a profit. Do you really want a company who only makes money by exploiting your private data to have unlimited access to it.
genovelle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 05:05 PM   #21
fredaroony
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post
Google doesn't deny their motives. People like you blindly refuse to listen because you get free stuff. You most likely rant and rave about the NSA even under the umbrella of national security. Google transcribes Google voice calls and scrubs your email for a profit. Do you really want a company who only makes money by exploiting your private data to have unlimited access to it.
Got any proof?
fredaroony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 05:14 PM   #22
gotluck
macrumors 68040
 
gotluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: East Central Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post
Google doesn't deny their motives. People like you blindly refuse to listen because you get free stuff. You most likely rant and rave about the NSA even under the umbrella of national security. Google transcribes Google voice calls and scrubs your email for a profit. Do you really want a company who only makes money by exploiting your private data to have unlimited access to it.
Lol

FWIW I do rant and rave about the NSA even under the umbrella of national security. Cheers

I dont care about my anonymously aggregated demographic data and I actually get something from google. (I've also paid them a good bit of money )

Quote:
I agree with your cogent post. One thing that was left out however is that some Google employees do have access to people's data, including searches, comments, reviews, friends, emails, etc. Just imagine if an individual who shouldn't have access gets access to all of that data. Pretty scary stuff.
This is what I have a problem with.

Last edited by gotluck; May 9, 2014 at 09:58 PM.
gotluck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 05:31 PM   #23
Parasprite
macrumors 65816
 
Parasprite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post
Google doesn't deny their motives. People like you blindly refuse to listen because you get free stuff. You most likely rant and rave about the NSA even under the umbrella of national security. Google transcribes Google voice calls and scrubs your email for a profit. Do you really want a company who only makes money by exploiting your private data to have unlimited access to it.
I don't care about any of this, because at least the data would serve a purpose.

What I really wish is that they would stop making random things publicly accessible while forcing me to use my real name.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
This should have been introduced on the Windows version first. Most people on the Mac side don't use Chrome for web apps, they use it because it's a better browser for them, and the Google integration. Plus, the fact that Flash is built-in.
It's possible that it is actually easier to implement on OS X than Windows, but I have no actual evidence to support that as any sort of assumption.
__________________
Has anyone, anywhere, ever actually used ~/Pictures/iPod Photo Cache/ for anything besides deleting or hiding it?
Parasprite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014, 02:32 AM   #24
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kassel, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traverse View Post
Yay. Google can access even more information.

But seriously, I don't see the point of this. I don't like browser based apps. Why would I use limited apps when I have powerful native versions?
Because bananas.
Ignorant fool!

Glassed Silver:mac
__________________
Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance
~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014, 07:56 AM   #25
Scellow
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
What is this trojan ??
Firefox <3
Scellow is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chrome is default browser, but some things still open in Safari? joejoejoe Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 May 25, 2014 06:54 PM
how to open folder in finder by default? PicnicTutorials OS X Mavericks (10.9) 4 Jan 21, 2014 09:19 PM
Google Drive: Website files open in Chrome? MBX Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 0 Nov 15, 2013 07:56 PM
Can't open Default Apps Meetster OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 5 Sep 16, 2012 02:21 PM
Default program to open .doc files jvpython OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 4 Sep 7, 2012 03:21 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC