Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 9, 2014, 05:14 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Facebook Discontinues 'Poke' and 'Camera', Pulls Apps from App Store

Facebook today removed its long defunct Facebook Poke and Facebook Camera apps from the App Store, quietly pulling the apps with no notification to users. A Facebook spokesperson confirmed the removal to The Verge, but declined to comment further.

First introduced in December of 2012, Facebook's Poke app was the company's answer to Snapchat, allowing users to send ephemeral photos, videos, messages, and "poke" notifications to their friends. Each message only lasted a few seconds before expiring, much like Snapchat's temporary messages.

Poke quickly floundered following its release as it failed to gain popularity amid competition from Snapchat, and it received no updates.

Facebook's Camera app was slightly more popular when it launched in May of 2012 as a way to make sharing multiple photos on Facebook "faster and easier." The single function app, which also let users browse photos, saw several updates during the first year it was released but later fell to the wayside as Facebook integrated Camera features into its main Facebook app. At the time of removal, the Facebook Camera had not been updated since August of 2013.

Despite the failure of Facebook Poke and Facebook Camera, Facebook has continued with development of standalone Facebook apps under its Creative Labs initiative. Paper, the first product to come out of Creative Labs, has been lauded for its design and has thus far enjoyed moderate success.

Article Link: Facebook Discontinues 'Poke' and 'Camera', Pulls Apps from App Store
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 05:16 PM   #2
mabaker
macrumors 6502a

Now I have to have them!!! Flap Flip Flappy!
Old May 9, 2014, 05:17 PM   #3
Alphabetize
macrumors regular

Good riddance. I don't really get why an app like Facebook needed to have separate apps for functions that should just be an all in one app.
Old May 9, 2014, 05:17 PM   #4
zabbadoo

After Facebook banned images of mothers breast-feeding, it was inevitable poking was next.
zabbadoo is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 06:23 PM   #5
DonJudgeMe
macrumors member

Wow, how will I ever continue living without this staple undeniably holding my whole existence together. What the hell is "poking"? I stopped with "top 8" on myspace...
DonJudgeMe is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 06:45 PM   #6
arefbe
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJudgeMe View Post
Wow, how will I ever continue living without this staple undeniably holding my whole existence together. What the hell is "poking"? I stopped with "top 8" on myspace...
Agreed. Poke is/was one more the sillier Facebook concepts.
Old May 9, 2014, 07:06 PM   #7
The Mercurian
macrumors 6502

This must be why Facebook is on all borked up right now
The Mercurian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 08:03 PM   #8
iLoveiTunes
macrumors regular

No...!!! it's a huge loss for humanity.
iLoveiTunes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 09:38 PM   #9
nepalisherpa
macrumors 65816

I didn't even know that these apps existed!
Old May 9, 2014, 09:52 PM   #10
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

What does this article have to do with Beats??

Old May 10, 2014, 01:01 AM   #11
KoolAid-Drink
macrumors 6502

Just to be clear, poking is still accessible from the main FB page/app, so poking hasn't been eliminated as of now.
Old May 10, 2014, 01:40 AM   #12
Zxxv
macrumors 6502a

Poking. Is that what the kids are calling it these days. Remember calling it Porking.
Zxxv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014, 01:45 AM   #13
zaredh
macrumors member

Noo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	471781  
zaredh is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014, 02:11 AM   #14
bigjohn
macrumors 6502

i like the Camera app and will continue to use it until they break it
Old May 10, 2014, 10:25 AM   #15
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

Thank god. I had one attractive mother friend who constantly sent me pokes. Wasn't even sure what pokes were in the FB world, but as an American male, I could see myself poking her a lot. I'm married though, and not gonna risk the big D with a virtual poke or otherwise.
BornAgainApple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014, 10:35 AM   #16
C DM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainApple View Post
Thank god. I had one attractive mother friend who constantly sent me pokes. Wasn't even sure what pokes were in the FB world, but as an American male, I could see myself poking her a lot. I'm married though, and not gonna risk the big D with a virtual poke or otherwise.
Pokes are still there in Facebook, the Poke app is just no longer available.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014, 04:24 PM   #17
bigpics
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabetize View Post
Good riddance. I don't really get why an app like Facebook needed to have separate apps for functions that should just be an all in one app.
Prep to be disappointed then. FB's actually moving to break "the big app" into more separate pieces, e.g., messaging will soon no longer be supported in the main mobile app, forcing you to use Messages (or some non-fb solution), and can't remember the rest of what I read nor the whole rationale, but there's more break-outs coming.

Meanwhile, won't download Messages until forced to...
Old May 10, 2014, 11:41 PM   #18
DoctorTech
macrumors newbie

Anybody still using the main FB app?

I deleted the main FB app from my iPhone and iPad after the last update completely ruined it. I would try to launch the app but just get a blue screen with the FB logo until I finally closed the app. Tried it several times on both devices when I knew I had a good internet connection and finally gave up and deleted the app.
DoctorTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2014, 12:37 AM   #19
C DM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorTech View Post
I deleted the main FB app from my iPhone and iPad after the last update completely ruined it. I would try to launch the app but just get a blue screen with the FB logo until I finally closed the app. Tried it several times on both devices when I knew I had a good internet connection and finally gave up and deleted the app.
you can try the Paper app.
Old May 11, 2014, 11:01 PM   #20
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkslide29 View Post
What does this article have to do with Beats??

This. Thank you for making my night!!

----------

I wish I could have messenger on my phone without the FB app. I would stop wasting so much time looking at nothing!!!
jonnysods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2014, 11:36 PM   #21
C DM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
This. Thank you for making my night!!

----------

I wish I could have messenger on my phone without the FB app. I would stop wasting so much time looking at nothing!!!
Why can't you? Messenger is a separate app.
Old May 12, 2014, 04:02 AM   #22
MacSince1990
In Time-Out

*Shrug* Two less apps to clutter the app store. I call it a win.
MacSince1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 06:13 AM   #23
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabetize View Post
Yup, now they just need to kill off their messaging app and all will be well with the world.

I can't even fathom why you'd want to fracture your experience between multiple apps.
Old May 12, 2014, 06:53 AM   #24
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Why can't you? Messenger is a separate app.
It won't let you use it. Notice that you never actually logged into the app to use it. It's linked to the FB app.
jonnysods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 09:15 AM   #25
C DM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
It won't let you use it. Notice that you never actually logged into the app to use it. It's linked to the FB app.
I don't have the FB app and can use Messenger just fine. They might be related but one doesn't require the other to work.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion