Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CultHero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I just picked up a new LG display that I am connected to my haswell rMBP through Thunderbolt. Everything is working great but I can't control the volume of the monitor with the macbook keys, it is all grayed out.

I have set up an multi-output device in audio midi setup and so I am getting volume from the monitor and the macbook at the same time for great sound, but I would love to be able to control it from the volume keys on my rMBP.

I have googled and tried soundflower but there doesn't seem to be a current app for Mavericks.

I can command click on the volume icon and divert back to rMBP to bump volume down, but that is more steps than I need.

Any help would be appreciated.

CultHero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
nobody huh? So how does everyone deal with this. I would have hoped that I would have been able to control both my monitor and laptop with the keyboard but without some wrestling with sound flower it doesn't seem possible, and even then it is really finicky...

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
nobody huh? So how does everyone deal with this. I would have hoped that I would have been able to control both my monitor and laptop with the keyboard but without some wrestling with sound flower it doesn't seem possible, and even then it is really finicky...

Audio control is passed to your monitor, which is 100% normal on any digital audio stream.

The same would happen if you were plugged into a USB soundcard/DAC, optical toslink receiver or HDMI.

The behaviour you are seeing is 100% normal. That's probably why nobody is "helping you". There is nothing to be done about it.

If you want to use your Macbook's keys, use external speakers plugged into the headphone jack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.