Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ukirca21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2014
Hi,
i am using FcpX and a little adobe software's. i must start to learn animations in MAC. My aim is these animations

http://www.mynet.com/video/animasyon/cezaevine-giris-super-animasyon-1073193/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPPbQF2kZiA

i read so many articles and espically these software's are recomended Maya, Cinema4D or Z-brush.
At a starting point i want to learn a complete pack software with easy interface. And i am not an artsit, that means software must help me. Generally C4D is pointing.

Where must i start?

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
afaik there is no really "easy" interface (except maybe sketchup), when it comes to 3d modelling and animating.
i'm using blender because it's free and an impressive piece of software. it relies heavily on keyboard shortcuts - so it's not considered very easy. but you have to learn your shortcuts anyway, if you want to work efficiently - regardless which software you use. especially when working with 3d-applications, which are very time consuming.

there's a free lite-version of c4d that comes with after effects and you can download a free educational version of maya as well. just give those three a spin and see what you like best.

Last edited:

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
p.s.: the second animation is a 2d animation which can be done in after effects or motion (which both are probably easier to master than a 3d animation). you can also do it in 3d software - southpark is done like this.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
Hi,
And i am not an artist, that means software must help me.

Software is a tool, it can't think for you. If you're not artistic, the software won't compensate...

I noticed that after taking drawing lessons and visualizing, I got a lot better at photoshop. Why? Because I knew more about the techniques of visualizing and how people take in images. I always knew the technical mechanics of photoshop, I knew how to hit the buttons. But now I know why certain techniques work.

So whether I'm drawing, photographing or animating, I know for example what the effects of lighting and shadow are. Or how color influences the feeling.

What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't really matter what software you use. Once you know one program, you know most of them. And just knowing where the buttons are doesn't mean you know how to create an image. I can play a piano, I know all the buttons, but I can't compose a song.

So good luck with animating and try to learn more than just using software.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You can't do either until you learn to be a better artist. Your starting point would be to take some drawing classes, take art appreciation/history, and just generally look at what other people are doing, and take all these styles and come up with your own.

Along the way, you need to learn how to storyboard and how to write AV scripts if you are going to do film.

I learnt Autodesk Maya in two stages. The first semester was just modeling and rendering, the next was animation. But before you can do anything as elaborate as the video you showed us, you'd have to learn how to properly rig and sculpt characters too.

I took 2D this semester, and before that just basic animation. It's very easy compared to 3D, but likewise, you will totally get frustrated with something as simple as a walk cycle (which requires you to draw a character in different poses to create the illusion of walking) if you can't draw.

ukirca21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2014
Thanks for your replies. I understood that firstly i must take some drawing and art lessons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.