Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 14, 2006, 06:19 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Intel inside -- so what?

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Intel inside -- so what?
Description:: Few really care -- or understand -- what's inside anything.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2006, 06:21 PM   #2
Lacero
macrumors 601

Quote:
Few really care -- or understand -- what's inside anything.
Could say the same thing about the article.
Here's to the Crazy Ones
Lacero is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2006, 06:26 PM   #3
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacero
Could say the same thing about the article.
indeed....who the hell is this rudypoo?

Bless
Old Jan 14, 2006, 07:14 PM   #4
Mal
macrumors 603

I agree, that article was crap. He's basically just saying "hey look, none of these random people I talked to know anything about electronics, so the electronics don't matter." Intel matters because it's the future of the Mac. If we want to see our beloved Apple continue to push out great computers, then they had to have chips from a better supplier than Freescale or Motorola. The chips are faster and better than anything either of those companies could produce.

So whoever you are that thinks you can turn an impromptu survey into an intelligent article...

Sit down and shut up.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2006, 08:23 PM   #5
solvs
macrumors 601

The premise is true though. Most people don't know anything about these types of things and could care less. Some of us do care. And we're either really excited or really disappointed.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 08:31 PM   #6
virus1
macrumors 65816

yes, the article was crap, but not what it was saying.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 09:44 PM   #7
DrNeroCF
macrumors 6502

What a really big way to say that the average consumer knows nothing about the insides of their system. With Apple posed to tackle Avid with FCP Extreme, Apple better be thinking about more people than just the average consumer...
DrNeroCF is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:04 PM   #8
billyboy
macrumors 65816

I thought it was an article doomed to bomb on a site of computer savvy readers, but the guy is spot on. On the same premise you could almost say "Mac exists" to a few million random people in the streets and they too would say- "so what?"
billyboy is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:06 PM   #9
oddfuzz
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to oddfuzz
Poorly thought over article

i have to agree with skywalker. Really all this guy is saying is that the average person doesn't care about how a computer works. This I would tend to agree with but then he goes on to say that because of this, how they do in fact work doesn't matter. Wow, that's some bad logic. One of the examples someone in the article even throws out deals with cars. This caught my attention right off the bat: "It's like a car. As long as it works well, and as long as it's safe, I'm a happy camper." I'm down 100 percent with this but that's because i really know nothing about cars. If we were to apply David's logic to this it would mean that all the gearheads and car buffs out there care nothing about which engine is in the car they drive or even how it works.

Come on David Lazarus, just b/c not everyone's a techie kind of person or a car buff doesn't mean a major supplier change to a manufacturer amounts to nothing. Give it a little thought next time
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:18 PM   #10
andcraig
macrumors regular

That article makes a good, but depressing point.
All of the people he "interviewed" were oblivious about how their technology worked, but seemed to know that they can take good advantage of it.
Its sad that these people have no interest whatsoever in finding out how they work.
Even my 80 year old grandpa wonders how my shiny little powerbook happens to have more information "in" it than all of his books, and has me explain it to him even if he doesn't understand it. My english teacher has our class explain how the internet works to her. Basically everyone I meet, if i start babbling about something technical, they're actually curious about how the things work (recent examples: windows vs OSX vs linux, how phones work (just like the article cites many times), and how the internet works).

Maybe he just happened to find the least curious people he could, or tortured the "data" he collected in order to prove a point he thought was important.

I also disagree with his point, people should care about whats inside their machines. Its being a good consumer, i won't buy a new car with the same engine as a yugo (exageratted example, but same concept). Having at least a rudimentary knowledge keeps people from being ripped off (its oh so depressing seeing people at best buy being sold things they don't need).
andcraig is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:40 PM   #11
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Lazarus is a terrific consumer advocate. His usual beat is highlighting companies with deceptive business practices and policies that infringe on consumers' privacy...terrific articles.

But yes, his point is perfectly valid. The VAST majority of people couldn't care less about how their devices work. As long as they work (and for the needs of the VAST majority of people, any of the Freescale, IBM or Intel chips will be fine). So, for the VAST majority of people, it doesn't matter what's inside as long as it works.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:18 PM   #12
p0intblank
macrumors 68030

While it is true most computer users don't care what is inside of the case, it's definitely the opposite for serious users like ourselves. We know the differences between x86 and PowerPC and what makes them better than each another. We know what is so special about the switch to Intel. We know about binaries... you gotta love our hobby. I know I do.
The #1 source for accessories compatible with Apple's new Mac Pro
Have a suggestion? Contact me here!
p0intblank is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2006, 05:08 AM   #13
SilvorX
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to SilvorX Send a message via AIM to SilvorX
I'm glad there's no Intel stickers on the iMac/MacBook cases, last thing I'd want on my Mac is an intel sticker, I dont care how many Apple logos are on the case since I love the apple logo but just the thought of Intel creeps me out, although I want a new iMac myself pretty badly

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion