Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 14, 2006, 06:45 PM   #1
supergod
macrumors 6502

Steve Jobs - Microsoft will release X-Player.

"What’s going to happen is that Microsoft is going to have to get into the hardware business of making MP3 players. This year. X-player, or whatever."

-http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10853916/site/newsweek/

A somewhat more interesting interview on the topic of macworld than all the other junk reporting so far. Steve Jobs seems quite certain that Microsoft is about to release a flagship media player: how serious do you think he is?

Last edited by Nermal; Jan 14, 2006 at 07:32 PM. Reason: made address clickable
supergod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 06:53 PM   #2
Lacero
macrumors 601

X-player? I don't think Steve was serious. He's just speculating that Microsoft needs to introduce something to seriously compete against the iPod.
Here's to the Crazy Ones
Lacero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 06:59 PM   #3
supergod
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacero
X-player? I don't think Steve was serious. He's just speculating that Microsoft needs to introduce something to seriously compete against the iPod.
Here's to the Crazy Ones
While, he's obviously joking about the name. But is it really that proposterous? Sony was owning the videogames market and taking away share from PC when Microsoft introduced the X-Box, so there is some precedent. Plus it is clear that their current strategy is not working, and that they really want to beat Apple in this market.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 07:06 PM   #4
Daveway
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Daveway
I found Apple's reason for not changing form factors more interesting.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 07:14 PM   #5
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
x-player?....will of course microsoft will throw their hands into the ring but i hope at a different name.

Bless
Old Jan 14, 2006, 07:21 PM   #6
DMPDX
Banned

Send a message via AIM to DMPDX
Or he could have meant the letter "X" as a variable. He wouldnt be releasing news about microsofts new products at the MACWORLD keynote...
DMPDX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 07:26 PM   #7
supergod
macrumors 6502

...on that note: Xbox is the most generic and uninspired name ever contrived. Even worse than playstation and gamecube. Sega was the only company with good product ames: especially dreamcast (so poetic!).

I almost think that if Microsoft were to release a pmp, it would be called X-360. Terrible.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 07:31 PM   #8
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergod
Sega was the only company with good product ames: especially dreamcast (so poetic!).
Master System, Mega Drive... they're not much better than PlayStation and GameCube really.

PS. Super Secret Microsoft Rumours, by Steve

Last edited by Nermal; Jan 15, 2006 at 01:19 AM.
Nermal is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 07:46 PM   #9
runninmac
macrumors 65816

I love that article (well any interview with Steve). I think if Microsoft doesn't get in the market this year they never will because they would just be to far behind it seems, but then again they are a HUGE company so I could be wrong.

I think its funny/sad steve said that the Powerbooks/ iMacs had the perfect form factor. (I agree but I want to seem them keep on innovating it.)
Old Jan 14, 2006, 07:57 PM   #10
illegalprelude
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to illegalprelude Send a message via MSN to illegalprelude Send a message via Yahoo to illegalprelude
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergod
...on that note: Xbox is the most generic and uninspired name ever contrived. Even worse than playstation and gamecube. Sega was the only company with good product ames: especially dreamcast (so poetic!).

I almost think that if Microsoft were to release a pmp, it would be called X-360. Terrible.
lol somebody is pissed off
illegalprelude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:30 PM   #11
wwooden
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to wwooden Send a message via Skype™ to wwooden
I like the last question in that interview, about if Steve would have a blog. He probably does have one, but it may not be public. It would be amazing to read a blog by Steve though.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:16 PM   #12
runninmac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwooden
I like the last question in that interview, about if Steve would have a blog. He probably does have one, but it may not be public. It would be amazing to read a blog by Steve though.
Whoa! They updated the article because that diffenetly wasn't there when I read it first. I would love to read Steve's blog, as just about anyone who is a member here would

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod