Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 12, 2014, 02:47 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Samsung Becomes Apple's Top iPad Display Supplier in Q1 2014

According to a new report from market research firm DisplaySearch (via CNET and ZDNet Korea), Samsung claimed the top spot as Apple's biggest iPad display panel supplier in the first quarter of 2014, shipping 5.2 million units of the high resolution 9.7-inch panels that were used in the iPad Air and the reintroduced 4th generation iPad.

Samsung's panels accounted for 62% of Apple's 9.7-inch displays, while longtime partner LG Display shipped 3.2 million displays to account for 38% of the total. Apple was said to have chosen Samsung as a primary iPad display supplier last August, and reportedly turned to the Korean company in October to produce displays for the Retina iPad mini as Sharp and LG Display struggled with low yields.

Apple has been reported for quite some time to be seeking to reduce its reliance on Samsung as a component supplier due to tensions between the two companies as they have become top competitors in the mobile device market. However, Samsung's technological advantages and production capacity as a display supplier have proven valuable to Apple's needs over the years, as the two companies are likely to continue that partnership for the foreseeable future.

Article Link: Samsung Becomes Apple's Top iPad Display Supplier in Q1 2014
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 02:50 AM   #2
priyamsingh
macrumors member

This is the last year this is gonna happen.
priyamsingh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 02:52 AM   #3
Broph
macrumors 6502

Even though they try and sue the pants off each other, neither one would be as successful as it is without the other.
Old May 12, 2014, 02:53 AM   #4
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020

Apple and Samsung has to be the most codependent / abusive professional relationship since Farnsworth and Sarnoff.
CFreymarc is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 02:55 AM   #5
Supermule
macrumors regular

Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.
Supermule is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 02:58 AM   #6
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Quote:
Originally Posted by priyamsingh View Post
I bet it isn't.
Old May 12, 2014, 02:58 AM   #7
AppleP59
macrumors 6502

Why does this matter so much apart from the morals?

Outsourcing a company’s business process to third parties or external agencies, only tends to give benefits, ranging from low cost labor, improved quality to product and service to the customer.

Samsung are obviously the best in the field for this component.
AppleP59 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 03:07 AM   #8
mad3inch1na
macrumors 6502a

My life is a lie...

Edit: I got over it.

Last edited by mad3inch1na; May 12, 2014 at 03:11 AM. Reason: My life doesn't revolve around where my iPad's display is sourced from.
mad3inch1na is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 03:09 AM   #9
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

You want to build and sell the best products, you need to start with the best components. In this case that happens to be Samsung displays. Also smart for any business not to rely on any single supplier for source components, as much as possible.
Old May 12, 2014, 03:32 AM   #10
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyamsingh View Post
I didn't Tim Cook posted here.
Old May 12, 2014, 03:32 AM   #11
MacSince1990
In Time-Out

Maybe if Samsung no longer has any of Apple's business, they'll no longer have to resources to copy--- I mean build competitive products! Muahahahhhahhaa!!!

>_> Okay maybe not. But still, it wouldn't be a bad thing.
MacSince1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 03:36 AM   #12
iolinux333
macrumors 65816

They should just merge and have babies.
iolinux333 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 03:37 AM   #13
dumastudetto
macrumors 65816

This is bad news for consumers who don't enjoy Samsung's inferior technology in their Apple devices. I hope Apple can phase Samsung out of the supply chain entirely within the next 12 months. This has to end for the good of Apple and for consumers who want the very best products money can buy.
dumastudetto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 03:43 AM   #14
Acidsplat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumastudetto View Post
This is bad news for consumers who don't enjoy Samsung's inferior technology in their Apple devices. I hope Apple can phase Samsung out of the supply chain entirely within the next 12 months. This has to end for the good of Apple and for consumers who want the very best products money can buy.
Except Samsung's displays, memory, and SSDs used in many generations of Apple products did not cause them to be inferior.

Need we be reminded how many people went on exchange sprees trying to get a Retina MacBook Pro with a Samsung display because LG's screens had problems and were inferior?
Acidsplat is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 03:44 AM   #15
Donoban
macrumors 6502

Come on sharp! Get your yields up god damn it!!!!
Donoban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 03:52 AM   #16
Mystic386
macrumors regular

Quote:
I don't have a problem with Apple using Samsung parts as long as those parts have no software in them and don't run Android. Hardware is all good.
Mystic386 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 03:53 AM   #17
lewismayell
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broph View Post
Even though they try and sue the pants off each other, neither one would be as successful as it is without the other.
I dunno, Apple could use other companies which I think they do as well, but if they completely left Samsung, it would be Samsung that would lose a lot of money
lewismayell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 03:55 AM   #18
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
There's no problem with the quality of most Samsung components. Also as the article states, it seems they had no problem supplying Apple, while Sharp and LG Display struggled with low yields.

It's Samsung's business MO that many Apple followers have issues with. Face the facts, this is for now, a mutually beneficial business relationship that is unlikely to end within 12 months.
Old May 12, 2014, 03:55 AM   #19
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

"Biting the hand that feeds them"-applicable to both Apple and Samsung.
Old May 12, 2014, 04:04 AM   #20
rmatthewware
macrumors 6502

The angle that never gets covered in these stories is that there is obviously a large demand for display panels, plus a desire from Apple to diversify their supply chain. You would think a display manufacturer would invest the resources to become a bigger player and steal some of the business from Samsung.
rmatthewware is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 04:05 AM   #21
Systematic
macrumors newbie

Oh the irony.
Systematic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 04:13 AM   #22
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaisTina View Post
So, they are allies now.. No more patent war.. Image
This is a bit black and white thinking.

----------

Quote:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll

;-)

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 04:38 AM   #23
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systematic View Post
Oh the irony.
There is no irony here Apple has always had a good relationship with Samsung manufactureing.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systematic View Post
Oh the irony.
There is no irony here Apple has always had a good relationship with Samsung manufactureing.
osofast240sx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 04:49 AM   #24
dumastudetto
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
This is a bit black and white thinking.

----------

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll

;-)
Nope. I don't like Samsung and if you think I'm alone in this then you obviously don't read these forums very widely. Having a negative view of Samsung, their practices and their components equalling troll would mean MacRumors has a large number of regular trolls who have posted millions of messages collectively.
dumastudetto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 04:58 AM   #25
2ms
macrumors 6502

I wish Apple would spend less money on buying companies that are primarily brands rather than producers of technology (i.e. Beats), and more on technologies that reduce their dependence on companies that are trying to eat its lunch.

I know that Cook is currently preoccupied with trying to win over the world's approval with solar power plants, and that he wants no one to think that he would ever do something that would advance Apple's interests at the expense of someone else's.

But would it really kill him to get the ability to build a few displays? Aren't they the largest single maker of things that show pixels in the world, for chrisake?
2ms is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion