Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:10 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Microsoft working with Apple on future of VPC

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Microsoft working with Apple on future of VPC
Description:: Following this week's five-year commitment to the Mac platform, Microsoft said it is working with Apple to bring Virtual PC to the new Intel-architecture, although it didn't provide details about the release date.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by arn
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:52 PM   #2
ZildjianKX

Man, this is Deja Vu from the wait for Virtual PC for the G5 processor. This time, MS is going to have to get on the ball since I'm sure 3rd parties will step in this time and they'll also have the competition of DarWine.
ZildjianKX is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:11 AM   #3
irmongoose
macrumors 68030

Wait, doesn't Microsoft already have VPC for Windows? Why not just tweak that one to work with the Intel Macs?

irmongoose
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:39 AM   #4
shareef777
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmongoose
Wait, doesn't Microsoft already have VPC for Windows? Why not just tweak that one to work with the Intel Macs?

irmongoose
I'm pretty sure there's more to it then that. Because based on that reasoning, there is no reason why all the current Windows applications can't be ported to any other Unix based OS running on an x86 processor.
shareef777 is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2006, 02:04 AM   #5
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

Does no one else see the irony here?

/Why would anyone run VPC on an intel mac when you could just partition the drive and....um....be "resourceful".
Stridder44 is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2006, 03:56 AM   #6
Damien
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Damien Send a message via MSN to Damien
Does anyone know if you could install vista onto a external hard drive and boot from that
Damien is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2006, 07:31 AM   #7
Little Endian
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridder44
Does no one else see the irony here?

/Why would anyone run VPC on an intel mac when you could just partition the drive and....um....be "resourceful".

I can think of many reasons? Have you ever used VPC on a Mac? Besides it being pretty slow and unusable on some it does serve it's purpose and with an Intel Mac VPC could run at closer to native speed.

Benefits of VPC:

"Saved states" which allows you to freeze the entire OS in any state or workflow and restart later.

Self Contained Drive images of the PC startup disk and "Undo Drives" feature which allows you to Undo everything that was done in windows from the OS itself to user tasks within a single session.

Copy, Paste, Drag and drop between Operating Systems.

Most importantly not having to reboot to get windows and being able to have both OSX and Windows running at the same time even multiple Versions of Windows and Linux etc etc. This is the greatest feature! I can have OSX, Windows 2000Pro, XP home, and Red Hat Linux all running at the same time. In fact I use Red Hat Linux under VPC more often than I use my native installation of PPC Mandrake Linux mostly because no restart is required and I can drag and drop files between Operating systems.

Think about why Microsoft's sells a Windows version of VPC that runs other X86 software that could have been run natively? It's for the above mentioned features. If VPC for intel based Macs can be made almost as fast as running from a Partition then why not?
Little Endian is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:10 AM   #8
Lucky736
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Lucky736 Send a message via Yahoo to Lucky736
For one XP doesn't support EFI which is a new BIOS Standard. Vista does however Vista only supports it on 64 bit setups, so therefore until MS has a copy of Vista that supports EFI on 32 bit processors, say bye bye to the idea of booting Windows as it is. Not saying it might not be hacked, but for now bye bye. And again, XP does not support EFI at all so until someone hacks it or Vista to run on these Intel processors and this new EFI BIOS, bye bye to the idea of popping in an XP CD or Vista DVD, partitioning, and voila! Dual boot.
Lucky736 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion