Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aris1992

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2014
Hello everyone! I am a new member here and I need your opinion and advices about the newest rMbp 13".

I am seriously considering to upgrade (soon!) my current 2010 Macbook Pro to a newer model with Retina display. And I actually I was thinking about the 13" 2.6GHz Retina model, since I am a multimedia student I edit a lot of pictures and videos on Photoshop and Final Cut Pro x on my iMac. FCPX sometimes acts up laggy and slow but that depends what I am working on. Does the rMpb 13" can held editing and rendering on Final Cut Pro? Or I should be patient and save bit more and go for rMbp 15" 2.0GH?

Thank you!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hello everyone! I am a new member here and I need your opinion and advices about the newest rMbp 13".

I am seriously considering to upgrade (soon!) my current 2010 Macbook Pro to a newer model with Retina display. And I actually I was thinking about the 13" 2.6GHz Retina model, since I am a multimedia student I edit a lot of pictures and videos on Photoshop and Final Cut Pro x on my iMac. FCPX sometimes acts up laggy and slow but that depends what I am working on. Does the rMpb 13" can held editing and rendering on Final Cut Pro? Or I should be patient and save bit more and go for rMbp 15" 2.0GH?

Thank you!

You should go for at least a 15" rMBP with 2.3GHz i7, 16GB RAM and 2GB 750M. The dGPU makes all the difference, along with 16GB of RAM.

theunderseaclub

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2008
Ow that means I gotta save money for extra months.

I just bought the 13" 2.6ghz 16GB Retina, but i definitely don't plan on using it with FCPX or Final Cut Studio, although I'll install FCS (FCP, Compressor and Motion) on it probably.

You need a dedicated graphics card for FCPX, and of course quad core for best performance.

I'm getting the 13" Retina to replace my 2008 MBP as my travel/bring everywhere laptop, but I have my 3.33ghz Hex Core Mac Pro for my video/photo work.

I think the 13" retina should be okay with design/photo work, but for video, you need a more powerful laptop, and don't forget to get a fast external disk (thunderbolt HD) for your scratch disk!

So like the poster above said, get a quad core (processor speed isn't overly important), and as much ram as you can get(at least 16gb). Save the rest of the money for a thunderbolt drive for your scratch disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.