Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
I took my iPad in to the Apple genius today to get it fixed, because it showed "no service" in the status bar. She told me that I need to activate my SIM card because I just got a new one. The problem is, I can't activate it because it says to activate it, I need to disable wifi, and it says no service. Does anyone know how to fix this?

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
I took my iPad in to the Apple genius today to get it fixed, because it showed "no service" in the status bar. She told me that I need to activate my SIM card because I just got a new one. The problem is, I can't activate it because it says to activate it, I need to disable wifi, and it says no service. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Did you try a network reset? Go to settings>general>reset>reset network settings.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
It could also be because the SIM card has expired. I have three SIM cards sitting here new in the package and all of them say they must be activated by March of 2015.

ktjensen

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Need help activating tmobile SIM card

Did not know SIM cards expire. No wonder we get sales on them. Will need to check that. Thought I could just collect some SIMM cards and use them upon demand when I want to get a better bargain. Guess that's not true.

And supposedly the apple store will give you a free SIM card for any carrier you want. Am sure up to a point.

Last edited:

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Did not know SIM cards expire. No wonder we get sales on them. Will need to check that. Thought I could just collect some SIMM cards and use them upon demand when I want to get a better bargain. Guess that's not true.

And supposedly the apple store will give you a free SIM card for any carrier you want. Am sure up to a point.

Just to back up my post that they do expire if not activated by a certain date:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 105

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
No, the SIM card didn't expire yet. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem, but I have to get the SIM card activated first, and I can't activate it without connecting to 4G. Do you think that is the reason it just says "no service" in the status bar?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
No, the SIM card didn't expire yet. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem, but I have to get the SIM card activated first, and I can't activate it without connecting to 4G. Do you think that is the reason it just says "no service" in the status bar?

If the SIM card is expired, it will say no service at the top where the signal bars should be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.